• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Sugar Tax, Jamie oliver

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
This is the biggest load of BS. Fat mock cockney Jamie Oliver talking about obesity .
Both my sons eat sweets big bags of haribos and have sugar they also have the occasional junk food.
They are both skinny healthy chaps. Slim no fat, tiny waists just like they should have for their age 9 and 13.
I used to eat sweets and have 3 sugars in my tea when I was growing up I was not fat.
Sugar don't make you fat it gives you energy. Put some in your water bottle when you go for a ride ,try it.
Have a full can of coke when you have the last few K's to go on a long bike ride and all that sugar works just fine as it should and does. Look at country's where people eat lots of sugar, fruits, rice. Slim.
Look at us and our take away chemical food induced world, obese. Sugar is not the problem

My youngest son has a friend [ 9years old] who is fat. His family are fat. They just eat to much food.
They eat to much cr5p food as well. No Flipping way should a young child be fat.
If they are fat then they are eating crazy amounts of fat piling food.
Giant sized chocolate bars, giant sized pizza's with stuffed crusts ,BOGOF etc this is the problem not sugar.
If Jamie Oliver was slim and healthy I may listen but he's a overweight chef who serves hi fat content artery clogging food at his diners. He had the right idea with is attempt at changing school meals but this sugar tax is not going to stop obesity .

You want to stop obisty then stop stuffing you face full of food , - edited by mods -

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
ray j willings said:
This is the biggest load of BS. Fat mock cockney Jamie Oliver talking about obesity .
Both my sons eat sweets big bags of haribos and have sugar they also have the occasional junk food.
They are both skinny healthy chaps. Slim no fat, tiny waists just like they should have for their age 9 and 13.
I used to eat sweets and have 3 sugars in my tea when I was growing up I was not fat.
Sugar don't make you fat it gives you energy. Put some in your water bottle when you go for a ride ,try it.
Have a full can of coke when you have the last few K's to go on a long bike ride and all that sugar works just fine as it should and does. Look at country's where people eat lots of sugar, fruits, rice. Slim.
Look at us and our take away chemical food induced world, obese. Sugar is not the problem

My youngest son has a friend [ 9years old] who is fat. His family are fat. They just eat to much food.
They eat to much cr5p food as well. No Flipping way should a young child be fat.
Giant sized chocolate bars, giant sized pizza's with stuffed crusts ,BOGOF etc this is the problem not sugar.
If Jamie Oliver was slim and healthy I may listen but he's a overweight chef who serves hi fat content artery clogging food at his diners. He had the right idea with is attempt at changing school meals but this sugar tax is not going to stop obesity .

You want to stop obisty then stop stuffing you face full of food , Get a fu55king grip.
It is mind blowing someone wants to put a tax on sugar. I have to agree with you 100%
Honestly that is some liberal utopia crap that should be stopped before it gets out of hand.

In the USA they (soda manufactures and many other companies) decided that it was cheaper to switch sugars for High Fructose Corn Syrup. Without even trying to determine if the crap was bad for you or not. I'm not convinced either way but it does seem to have some effects on SIZE of fat folks. Then again as you say in your post it has more to do with the AMOUNTS of INTAKE than it does the sweetener.

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Glenn_Wilson said:
ray j willings said:

You want to stop obisty then stop stuffing you face full of food , Get a fu55king grip.
It is mind blowing someone wants to put a tax on sugar. I have to agree with you 100%
Honestly that is some liberal utopia crap that should be stopped before it gets out of hand.

In the USA they (soda manufactures and many other companies) decided that it was cheaper to switch sugars for High Fructose Corn Syrup. Without even trying to determine if the crap was bad for you or not. I'm not convinced either way but it does seem to have some effects on SIZE of fat folks. Then again as you say in your post it has more to do with the AMOUNTS of INTAKE than it does the sweetener.

You are right, the problem - almost all of the problem - is high fructose corn syrup. Highly processed fast food, both sweet and savory, both solid and liquid, has a high concentration of high fructose corn syrup.

Go to anyplace in the world where there are a lot of American fast food chains and you'll find an obese population that used to be thin, no matter the culture. And it isn't just fast food restaurants, it's also highly processed foods on supermarket shelves, which also has a high level of corn syrup.

Why do companies use so much of this stuff, especially since they know it's killing us? Because it's dirt cheap and highly profitable, and also because it supports corporate agri-business.

It used to be just Americans and Mexicans that were obese. Thanks to globalization and free trade, though, now everybody has the problem.

Sugar in high quantity isn't good for you. Glucose is, of course, essential in respiration and thus energy. However the ridiculous amount of sugar in the likes of Coke and the Starbucks soft-drinks will make you obese. Controlled trials almost all confirm this. Going against this is like going against Climate Change and effectively anti-science. Most companies don't use glucose as such anymore, but rather HFCS.

Sugar is part of the problem. Even if you don't look fat on the outside I don't know how many of you guys do many blood tests to see what sugar does inside your body. Or how about Internal fat? If you do loads of exercise and eat a lot of sugar then you probably won't get fat, but it doesn't make an excess of sugar good for you.

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Re:

ebandit said:
LOL low sugar/fat products are not for health but to boost sales.................................Mark L

Spot on. Some of the so called low sugar/low fat food options have nearly as many calories as the "Normal options"

Quote Brullnux
"If you do loads of exercise and eat a lot of sugar then you probably won't get fat, but it doesn't make an excess of sugar good for you"

Excess is the right word. Balance is important. Eddie Izzard ran all those marathons and gained weight.
He stuffing his fat face with chocolate bars "snickers " etc He went into calorie overload.
Sugar is not the monster that lardy boy Oliver is claiming it to be. This tax will not stop obesity.
Its up to parents to get control of their eating habits.
Every fat kid who goes to my sons schools all have fat obese parents. When you see kids 7 or 8 years old and they are already overweight ,I find it shocking to be honest.

Unfortunately some people will refuse to adapt to a healthier lifestyle until you hit them where they live - the hip pocket. Sure, this may not be the best way to go about childhood obesity but if it makes parents think twice about overloading the shopping trolley with soft drinks, super sugary breakfast cereals, ice cream etc then surely it's a step in the right direction.

Some people need this kind of incentive - remember Jamie's school dinners where parents were passing McDonalds over the school fence so their fat spawn could have "proper food"?

ray j willings said:

I know people who have smoked two packs of cigarettes a day all their lives, and they didn’t get lung cancer.

Learn the difference between anecdotal evidence and controlled studies. It isn’t just about obesity, either, excess sugar causes other problems, e.g.:

1) the calories you get from sugar are empty, meaning they substitute for calories you should be getting from more nutritious foods
2) too much ingestion of fructose can overwhelm the liver, which transforms excess fructose to glycogen
3) over consumption of sugar may increase the risk of developing insulin resistance and type II diabetes
4) excess sugar consumption has hormonal effects that may increase the likelihood of overeating in general and becoming over weight.
5) There is evidence linking over consumption of sugar to heart disease and cancer.

Nothing wrong with kids having some candy, cake, etc., now and then, but soft drinks, many of which contain several tablespoons full of corn syrup, are definitely a problem.

Re:

Brullnux said:
Sugar in high quantity isn't good for you. Glucose is, of course, essential in respiration and thus energy. However the ridiculous amount of sugar in the likes of Coke and the Starbucks soft-drinks will make you obese. Controlled trials almost all confirm this. Going against this is like going against Climate Change and effectively anti-science. Most companies don't use glucose as such anymore, but rather HFCS.

Sugar is part of the problem. Even if you don't look fat on the outside I don't know how many of you guys do many blood tests to see what sugar does inside your body. Or how about Internal fat? If you do loads of exercise and eat a lot of sugar then you probably won't get fat, but it doesn't make an excess of sugar good for you.

Occasionally drink a Coke now and then is not a problem, ten Cokes a day is.

The problem is that consumerism has attacked everything, while most people have no other discipline than acquiescing, submissively, to the consumer regime. The law of endless choice and easy consumption in the dietary context has made the developed world fatter an unhealthier than it was before consumerism. The pharmaceutical industry has cashed in though. So all is well.

A simple rule for parents to adopt in my opinion is not to keep things like fizzy drinks and chocolate bars (at least not the family size pack type of thing) in the house. If kids want to treat themselves to the odd can of coke or chocolate bar then they can do so out of their pocket money or paper-round money, which will naturally limit them.

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Re:

cellardoor said:
A simple rule for parents to adopt in my opinion is not to keep things like fizzy drinks and chocolate bars (at least not the family size pack type of thing) in the house. If kids want to treat themselves to the odd can of coke or chocolate bar then they can do so out of their pocket money or paper-round money, which will naturally limit them.

Its not about keeping temptation away . Its about making sure your kids are healthy. You cannot hide drinks sweets cakes away from kids. You have to educate them on their eating habits. My kids will refuse to eat a chocolate bar at times. They are not obsessed with eating sweets /chocolate. I also don't let them eat if they get bored or are upset, eating is not the answer.
My youngest son does not like Fizzy drinks. My eldest son likes the odd can of Fanta or coke maybe once a week . I do not make any issue about any type of food or drink. If My eldest wants a can of coke I have no issue with that. IMO people eat when they are bored or stressed or sitting there watching k%k tv , that's why we see so many fat people.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/476772-how-does-sugar-give-you-energy/

Re: Re:

ray j willings said:
cellardoor said:

Its not about keeping temptation away . Its about making sure your kids are healthy. You cannot hide drinks sweets cakes away from kids. You have to educate them on their eating habits. My kids will refuse to eat a chocolate bar at times. They are not obsessed with eating sweets /chocolate. I also don't let them eat if they get bored or are upset, eating is not the answer.
My youngest son does not like Fizzy drinks. My eldest son likes the odd can of Fanta or coke maybe once a week . I do not make any issue about any type of food or drink. If My eldest wants a can of coke I have no issue with that. IMO people eat when they are bored or stressed or sitting there watching k%k tv , that's why we see so many fat people.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/476772-how-does-sugar-give-you-energy/

I hope you had a wry smile on your face when you linked to livestrong on this of all forums ;)

Just because something works for you doesn't mean it will work for everyone. I don't know of course, but - for example - it could be that you're not the biggest fan of soft drinks yourself and tend not to have bumper packs of coke sitting in the fridge all the time. That fact would influence your kids.

I'm not arguing that sugar tax is right by the way, just that I think you are underplaying the role of refined sugar in obesity.

I do also think that kids are probably less active than in past generations, with computer games having an affect on that as well as a society that wants to wrap kids up in cotton wool.

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Re:

LaFlorecita said:
Skinny people can develop type 2 diabetes too. You and your kids may be super skinny but who knows what kind of damage the sugar is doing on the inside.

Sugar is not bad. Put a few scopes in your water bottle before you go for a ride or a run.
Look at Thailand etc . Diets are high sugar , rice. fruit carb loaded diets .You don't see many fat people.
Look at France they eat Very rich lunches " high fats " and with wine, again a very slim race of people.
Its about excess, balance.
People are so hung up about foods and body image. It's put pressure on generation's of people who all feel they must have shiny white teeth that glow in the dark and 20 inch waist's and orange tans.
Kids look up to "stars /sporting hero's" Its just not realistic and for a lot of young men and women this leads to depression and they eat and the circle of despair begins. Life should not be about what you eat. Food should not control your life.
"super skinny" I don't like that term . My kids are healthy and lean which they should be for their age.
No young kid should be fat /tubby. IMO that amounts to child abuse. Parents need to get control of what they eat and their kids. You don't often see fat kids and slim parents.

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Five Reasons Why High Fructose Corn Syrup Will Kill You

The current media debate about the benefits (or lack of harm) of high fructose corn syrup (HFCS) in our diet misses the obvious. The average American increased their consumption of HFCS (mostly from sugar sweetened drinks and processed food) from zero to over 60 pounds per person per year.

During that time period, obesity rates have more than tripled and diabetes incidence has increased more than seven fold.
Not perhaps the only cause, but a fact that cannot be ignored.

Doubt and confusion are the currency of deception, and they sow the seeds of complacency. These are used skillfully through massive print and television advertising campaigns by the Corn Refiners Association’s attempt to dispel the “myth” that HFCS is harmful and assert through the opinion of “medical and nutrition experts” that it is no different than cane sugar. It is a “natural” product that is a healthy part of our diet when used in moderation.

Except for one problem. When used in moderation it is a major cause of heart disease, obesity, cancer, dementia, liver failure, tooth decay, and more.

More here.

TRENDING THREADS