• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Summary Reactions Armstrong Ban

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
List of those who spoke out after the USADA vs Armstrong decision (mostly taken from this thread: http://forum.cyclingnews.com/showthread.php?t=17476)

Here is the "Armstrong Responder List":
(in alphabetical order)

-- Allen, Hunter (Trainer)
-- Anderson, Phil
++ Andreu, Betsy
++ Andreu, Frankie
-- Armstrong, Lance
++ Baal, Daniel (former Pres. FFC)
- Bartoli, Michele
-- Bates, Phil (UCI Disciplinary Board !!)
- Bauer, Steve
++ Bishop, Andy
-- Bissinger, Buzz "Full Blown Delusional" (Writer Newsweek)
0 Bernaudeau, Jean Rene
-- Bruyneel, Johan
-- Carmichael, Chris
- Cavendish, Mark
++ Chassé, Patrick (Commentator)
- Contador, Alberto
++ De Canio, Matt
- De Jongh, Steven
++ De Mondenard, Dr. J.P.
- De Vlaeminck, Roger
- Delgado, Pedro
0 Duclos-Lassalle, Gilbert
- Dumoulin, Samuel
-- Ekimov, Viatcheslav
++ Engoulvent, Jimmy
-- Escartin, Fernando
-- Flax, Peter (Bicycling Mag)
+ Gesink, Robert
- Godefroot, Walter
-- Hammond, Roger
0 Harmon (Eurosport)
- Hinault, Bernard
-- Holm, Brian
- Horner, Chris
- Hushovd, Thor (would get a higher rate, but really fears; omerta at full strength*)
- Indurain, Miguel
+ Jacques-Maynes, Ben
- Jalabert, Laurent
-- Jenkins, Sally "Baby-Brain" (Writer Wash. Post)
- Jonker, Patrick
++ Kaggestad, Mads (Ex-Pro)
++ Keenan, Matt (Australian Commentator)
- Kelly, Sean
++ Kimmage, Paul
+ Kirsipuu, Jaan
-- Kiserlovski, Robert
++ Larsson, Gustav
-- Lastras, Pablo
-- Leadville 100 Bike Race Organizers (Pro Doping!!)
+ Leclercq, Jean Claude
++ LeMond, Kathy
-- Liggett, Phil
-- McGrory, Scott
-- Merckx, Axel
-- Merckx, Eddy
-- Michaelson, Lars (DS)
- Miholjević, Vladimir
0 Millar, David
++ Miller, Bode (Ski Racer)
- Mollema, Bauke
-- Mosquera, Ezequiel
++ Myerson, Adam (Cyclocross)
-- Ochowicz, Jim
++ Parsons, Sabrina (Palo Alto Software CEO)
- Pereiro Sio, Oscar
- Phinney, Taylor
0 Pineau, Jerome
-- Reilly, Rick (ESPN Writer)
++ Ressiot, Damien (Writer)
-- Rodriguez, Joaquim
-- Roulston, Hayden
-- Sandstød, Michael (Ex-Pro)
- Savoldelli, Paolo
0 Sherwen, Paul
++ Simeoni, Filippo
-- Sutherland, Scott (DS)
0 Thevenet, Bernard
- Thomas, Geraint
++ Tinkov, Oleg (Owner of Tinkoff Bank ??)
0 Ullrich, Jan
-- Unzue, Eusebio (DS)
-- Valverde, Alejandro
- Van Impe, Lucien
-- Van Leijen, Joost
0 Voeckler, Thomas
0 Voigt, Jens
++ Vroomen, Gerard
++ Walsh, David (Writer)
-- Watson, Graham (Cycling Photographer?)
++ Whittle, Jeremy (Writer)
++ Wise, Mike (Writer Wash. Post)
-- Zech, Jay (Co-Owner of Gung Ho Bikes, Manchester)

* that´s true for most commenters, but his quotes really stand out

Companies:
-- Anheuser Busch

Subsidiaries
Anheuser-Busch, Inc (Manufacturers Railway), St. Louis Refrigerated Car Co., InBev, AmBev

Equity investments
Grupo Modelo – 50%, Craft Brewers Alliance (Redhook, Widmer Bros., Kona Brewing) – 32.2%, Tsingtao Brewery – 7%

Global and multi-country brands
Alexander Keith's, Beck's, Brahma, Budweiser (except the Czech Republic), Stella Artois, Hoegaarden, Leffe

Local brands
Antarctica, Aqua Fratelli Vita, Astika
Baisha, BagBier, Bass, Belle-Vue, Boddingtons, Bohemia, Boomerang, Borostyán, Breda Royal Beer, Busch Beer,
Carcau, Chernigivske,
Diebels, Diekirch, Dimix, Dommelsch, Double Deer, Dutch Gold,
Franziskaner,
Gilde Ratskeller, Guaraná Antarctica,
Haake-Beck, Harbin Brewery, Hasseröder, Hertog Jan,
Jinlin, Jinlongquan, Julius, Jupiler,
KK, King Cobra, Klinskoye, Kokanee,
La Bécasse, Labatt, Lakeport, Liber, Löwenbräu,
Marathon, Michelob, Mousel,
Natural,
Oranjeboom,
Paceña, Permskoye Gubernskoye,
Quilmes,
Red Shiliang, Rifey, Rolling Rock, Rogan,
Safir, Santai, Sedrin, Sibirskaya Korona, Skol, Spaten, St. Pauli Girl, Sukita, Taller, Tolstiak,
Verboden Vrucht, Vieux Temps,
Yali, Yantar,
Zizhulin, Zhujiang

-- Nike (including Cole Haan, Converse, Hurley, Jordan Brand, Umbro)

Bold/Italic: Active riders/DSes who welcomed the USADA decision (Yes that´s the only ones. What a sad story!).

++; Spoke out clear & direct, and said/hinted that the ban was the absolute right decision, and/or called it what it is: Armstrong is/was a doper.
+; Saying/Hinting that the decision is correct, but ended shy of naming Armstrong directly and calling it what he is: a doper and liar.
0; Undecided speech; trying to be sarcastic; no direct saying that it is the right-and-only-decision that has been made by USADA.
-; Rubbish like: "It´s too late", "if" (there is no "if"; USADA didn´t just roll a dice, but got trou the evidence and a revisory board before doing the preferral of charges), "it´s past", "hurts cycling", "what is the gain", etc...
--; Absolute pro Armstrong (even taking over "original" Armstrong phrases): "witch hunt", "was/is good for cycling", "never positive", "no evidence", etc...

May 26, 2010
Visit site
FoxxyBrown1111 said:
Whittle is already mentioned. I´ll put Walsh in, when i have read what he had to say. :)

David Walsh was on BBC radio 5live at 7pm yesterday. there will be a podcast on their website.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
He´s talking everyday on ESP. He was never shy to mention all the evidence on Armstrong. He´s just a little pi§$ed that cycling has a bad reputation...

I don't have cable or sat, so no Eurosport for me. Unless I happen to find a German ESP stream - Have to say Leclercq is about the best thing that has happened to them in a long while. Good to hear he's outspoken about Armstrong. I will try to get a German ESP feed for the next days or a recording of the last days.

And by the way: I've just got through Jimmy Engoulvent's twitter. He deserves a ++ (if not +++).

Did anyone get the reaction from Hombre or House? They were BPC before BPC was BPC.

There is no joy in Mudville.

Interesting how many minus minuses are attached to people in positions of power in cycling but, hey, it's a new dawn. Everyone says so.

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
screaming fist said:
I don't have cable or sat, so no Eurosport for me. Unless I happen to find a German ESP stream - Have to say Leclercq is about the best thing that has happened to them in a long while. Good to hear he's outspoken about Armstrong. I will try to get a German ESP feed for the next days or a recording of the last days.

And by the way: I've just got through Jimmy Engoulvent's twitter. He deserves a ++ (if not +++).

"the best thing that has happened to them in a long while" - totally agree.
My feeling is, he got a little bit arrogant lately. But not that I would bother.

He knows the circus and is something like a walking cycling-almanach.

Anyway, I am happy that we got rid of that Leinauer-troll. And at the Tdf, that über-hater Schulz was hardly involved, just doing his blog in the internets.

Your avatar - saw this movie few months ago. Venedig etc.
Somehow strange, but still good movie. Could hardly sleep and had some bad dreams. That bad, red troll. lol

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
- Scott McGrory

Was on radio after the capitulation and mentioned all the Lance buzz words like Witch hunt, done good for cancer, 10 years ago, more cancer stuff, etc. Nearly made me spew.

You could probably add in Tomalaris and Tan if someone wants to wade through their twitter rubbish, I had the misfortune for someone to retweet them into my timeline.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
hrotha said:
I'd put Phinney at - or even 0, unless there's something I missed.

He was praising Lance, but not doping related one way or the other. But then better keep quiet than hailing a liar & cheater. That´s better and surely qualifies for a neutral "0" at least.
Anyway he doesn´t qualify for "--", so i put him at "-"...

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
M Sport said:
- Scott McGrory

Was on radio after the capitulation and mentioned all the Lance buzz words like Witch hunt, done good for cancer, 10 years ago, more cancer stuff, etc. Nearly made me spew.

You could probably add in Tomalaris and Tan if someone wants to wade through their twitter rubbish, I had the misfortune for someone to retweet them into my timeline.

in, with a big fat "--".

My suspicion of why we haven't heard from GL, GH, FL, TH et. al. is that they've been cautioned to avoid the press or public to avoid any potential for tainting the impact of their testimony.

Well played, Travis!

a Brilliant & Foxxy thread well executed!

Maybe add a Hall of Honor, after the most recent pointed & rational posts.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
i dont think jan should get a minus :S you cant expect him to bash dopers he was one... i find all of his comments on things now a days very honourable, hats off to the guy, he doesn't want to talk about and wants to move on, leave the poor fellow alone

BroDeal said:
Did anyone get the reaction from Hombre or House? They were BPC before BPC was BPC.

There is no joy in Mudville.

Interesting how many minus minuses are attached to people in positions of power in cycling but, hey, it's a new dawn. Everyone says so.

It's a new dawn only in the sense that Festina was a new dawn...

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
TubularBills said:
My suspicion of why we haven't heard from GL, GH, FL, TH et. al. is that they've been cautioned to avoid the press or public to avoid any potential for tainting the impact of their testimony.

Well played, Travis!

I think that is ok. Since the game isn´t over.

palmerq said:
i dont think jan should get a minus :S you cant expect him to bash dopers he was one... i find all of his comments on things now a days very honourable, hats off to the guy, he doesn't want to talk about and wants to move on, leave the poor fellow alone

You know i am a "fanboy" (;)) of Jan. Longtime i forgave him, suffered with him, etc...
But doper or not. If he says nowadays everything is clean, and even Pevenage said Armstrong took the arms race to a new level (thus Jan had to follow), i was expecting more of him. Something like "it´s good that doping fight works nowadays". He has nothing to lose anymore. So his comments were cowardly. I expected more...

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
FoxxyBrown1111 said:
I think that is ok. Since the game isn´t over.

You know i am a "fanboy" (;)) of Jan. Longtime i forgave him, suffered with him, etc...
But doper or not. If he says nowadays everything is clean, and even Pevenage said Armstrong took the arms race to a new level (thus Jan had to follow), i was expecting more of him. Something like "it´s good that doping fight works nowadays". He has nothing to lose anymore. So his comments were cowardly. I expected more...

i do not concur... jan is long done with this :S he knows he doped and he knows lance did what do you want him to say, he wants to be rid of these questions... good on him I say leave the old man alone he doesnt have to say anything... I like how he says he knows who crossed the line first he knows he cheated too in my opinion as a huge jan fan he is saying the right things just now

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
palmerq said:
i do not concur... jan is long done with this :S he knows he doped and he knows lance did what do you want him to say, he wants to be rid of these questions... good on him I say leave the old man alone he doesnt have to say anything... I like how he says he knows who crossed the line first he knows he cheated too in my opinion as a huge jan fan he is saying the right things just now

Ok, convinced. Give him the benifit of doubt. :)

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
The sun sets on this dark age only when Brailsford, McQuaid, and Armstrong start writing epic tunes whilst sharing a cell block. Patty on the jailbar spoons, Dave can whistle and someone can shove a harmonic in Lance's mouth to hopefully shut him up once and for all..

2 things:

1) What did Kathy LeMond say?

2) why on earth is she on a "hall of shame"list to begin with? Her husbands been **** on by Lance & Pharmstrongs influence took Gregs bike company/dealings w/Trek down. So how again is she on the "hall of shame" list? Greg was also the.first to speak out on wonderboy...... Please explain?

the big ring

BANNED
Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
86TDFWinner said:
2 things:

1) What did Kathy LeMond say?

2) why on earth is she on a "hall of shame"list to begin with? Her husbands been **** on by Lance & Pharmstrongs influence took Gregs bike company/dealings w/Trek down. So how again is she on the "hall of shame" list? Greg was also the.first to speak out on wonderboy...... Please explain?

It's a mislabeled list. Should be called "Lance responders" list or something. Pun intended.

TRENDING THREADS