• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Summary Reactions Armstrong Ban

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Armstrong deserves to be treated differently

I can understand the mixed reaction fro old pro's

Many of whom were dopers to a greater or lesser extent.

The difference between Armstrong and most other pro cyclists who doped is that you feel that it was professional cycling that got them into drugs. With Armstrong it was drugs that got him into pro cycling. He wasn't from day one a cyclist/athlete but a doper/cyclist

May 26, 2010
Visit site
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/aug/26/lance-armstrong-doping-whistleblowers

David Walsh

"I wrote four books about the guy. All the evidence was out there since 2004 and people will still say there is no evidence. To me there was a wilful conspiracy on the part of sporting officials, journalists, broadcasters, everybody. Now we see the fruits of it: high-level cycling has been destroyed by corruption.

Emma O'Reilly

"If my word is so worthless, why did I go to France and testify to the French drug squad? I worked the '98 Tour de France, and I know how scary these guys can be, yet I was prepared to go to France, to their territory. I went because I was telling the truth, and also because a certain Mr Armstrong sued me for a million euros because of my interview with David … why did Lance feel the need to terrorise me for more than two years? Why did Lance feel the need to try to break me?"

Christophe Bassons

Bassons tried to race elsewhere but his reputation preceded him and he gave up in 2001. The cyclist had been a very successful amateur rider but his professional career was overshadowed by his refusal to take drugs and remain quiet about it. He now works for the French ministry of sports and youth, with responsibility for drug testing.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Kimmage again maintaining his peak.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/aug/26/cycling-clean-up

Do the people who are running cycling really want to clean it up?

Since Tommy Simpson's death in 1967, 86% of Tour de France winners have been tarnished or implicated by doping. What's wrong with this sport? Why does it keep happening? As Armstrong is confined to history, it's his relationship with the International Cycling Union (UCI) – he made donations to the sport's governing body while competing – that disturbs most.

Why have they been bending over backwards this last month to wrestle his case from the US Anti-Doping Agency? Why wasn't Armstrong sanctioned in 1999? What happened at the 2001 Tour of Switzerland? Why were Floyd Landis's claims about doping at US Postal never investigated? Why are the UCI suing journalists who have asked these questions?

Don't be late Pedro said:
Gustav Larsson

“It is quite obvious that Armstrong has doped,”

Continued...

It's sad that Gustav Larsson is the highest profile cyclist who speaks out. Good job to him though.

I can sympathize with the 0 cyclists, like Pineau and Voeckler (whatever you may think doping or character wise of the latter), and even Phinney (who, I've noticed, is disappointed with Lance for a bit longer than the last few days). It's their job, by being outspoken and upsetting sponsors and all that, they might lose their own money.

Also agreed with Engoulvent deserving more than a single +. The things he said and retweeted are quite clear.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
burning said:
I wonder what Bassons will say about this stuff?

and Moncoutie too

Bassons has spoken. A few weeks ago, he said it was long overdue.

Have not read anything from Moncoutie. He is very media shy, so dont expect to read anything.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
86TDFWinner said:
... why o earth is she on a "hall of shame"list to begin with? ...

The name of the list was indeed misleading, since it includes the good guys. I called it the "... shame list" since so many are cowards with no guts, and no balls it seems. Maybe some of them even cut one to show their unconditional love for Armstrong (the Merckx guys for example?).

the big ring said:
It's a mislabeled list. Should be called "Lance responders" list or something. Pun intended.

Fixed! :)

Benotti69 said:
Bassons has spoken. A few weeks ago, he said it was long overdue.

Have not read anything from Moncoutie. He is very media shy, so dont expect to read anything.

Bassons, next to Mottet and Giles Delion, the hero. I´d like to put him on the list. You have a link?

Arnout said:
It's sad that Gustav Larsson is the highest profile cyclist who speaks out. Good job to him though.

I can sympathize with the 0 cyclists, like Pineau and Voeckler (whatever you may think doping or character wise of the latter), and even Phinney (who, I've noticed, is disappointed with Lance for a bit longer than the last few days). It's their job, by being outspoken and upsetting sponsors and all that, they might lose their own money.

Also agreed with Engoulvent deserving more than a single +. The things he said and retweeted are quite clear.

I think most are scared of the UCI. It's not Armstrong they support they just don't want trouble for themselves.

Benotti69 said:
The silence from teamSky is deafening.

What else can you expect?

Lance Armstrong is hero worshiped by Wiggins.
Dave Brailsford was in glowing praise of Armstrong's dedication, discipline and hard work:eek:
Sky's aim is to dominate the Tour in years' to come like USPS and even take it a step further and dominate all three GTs.

Sky must be praying that the UCI are let off the hook in any evidence made public and Pat gets to stay in his job.

There worst nightmare must be Pat in a drunken ramble spilling out the beans on what teams the UCI protected.

thehog said:
I think most are scared of the UCI. It's not Armstrong they support they just don't want trouble for themselves.

Exactly. Criticizing Armstrong is inviting trouble, if things stay the same way as in the past. Expect much more criticism of Lance, the day Fat Pat, Hein and their goons are out of the UCI.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
I have just edited the OP. Please have a look at the companies within Nike & Anheuser Busch!

Small summary:

Anheuser Busch (Take care what you drink! This monster has invested into many famous beers and drinks. Link to give you easy friday nights lights out decisions: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anheuser-Busch
For germans for example that means no more Becks beer and no more Hasseröder)

Nike (including Cole Haan, Converse, Hurley, Jordan Brand, Umbro)

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
Don´t get it

I never been an Armstrong fan, I´ve always had doubts about his Tour prowess.

Hard to believe that one that "never doped" has beaten year after year a quite powerfull and good rider that admitted doping, named Jan Ullrich!

Nevertheless I don´t get all who agree with this witch hunt (because it´s what this is): what does "our" sport gain with this? Nothing! Cycling once more on the dark side.

It´s quite easy, all those UCI and USADA men should care about the now and the future, to make this sport cleaner!

The past is the past! If not we´ll have to strip Merckx and a lot of others from almost all of his victories!!

Who will history remember in the future: 7 Armstrong Tours or the ones that ended 2nd and no-one remembers and became ... winners ... until they also have a doping process over them!..

This is just a stupid joke and loss of time and money!

And I remind you that I´ve never loved Lance Armstrong! But on this, I´m with him: this things must be caught immediatly or otherwise they become a laugh!

I asked Bart Brentjens (you know, the former Olympic champ and bronze medallist) on twitter and the response was less than 0. Disappointing. He's a hero of mine who's been trained by a doper (Theunisse), works with Trek, and now runs a succesful MTB team. He needs to speak out.

thehog said:

100% agree.

as long as a complete corrupt organization remains in power, one that criminally supported fraud and will soon have to defend itself against charges that it did just that, cyclists will fear stepping out of line.

the uci MUST go.

Salvoldelli

Savoldelli said that he was not part of Armstrong’s training group – “I was only in Tenerife with him once, but he wasn’t at altitude because he was with Sheryl Crow”

A bit off topic but thats well funny.

TRENDING THREADS