• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Sunday 16th Jan: Cancer Council Classic, 51km

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
theyoungest said:
Where has Kristoff shown this amazing speed you speak of?
Tommorow!:D

Vattenfall Cyclasics is one example. Problem is that he has either positioned badly and that can be to do with not having any sort of leadout rider. he will have a few riders this year that can do that. John Murphy in a recent interview said he was one of the fastest sprinters in the world.

Q: Who was the fastest sprinter at Milan-San Remo 2010?
A: Sacha Modolo

Q: Why did he not win?
A: Because he opened up his sprint from about 15th position.

It's no use being super-fast if you don't have the positional sense, unless you can pull out a ludicrous sprint like Chicchi in Qatar or Haedo in the Dauphiné. Kristoff's going to need some help positioning. Obviously BMC are not a leadout train kind of team, but he could do with a helper who can drag him to the right place, like Ciolek was for Cavendish in 2008, before the train got to full steam, cos Kristoff is still inexperienced.

Libertine Seguros said:
Don't know about Sutton, but Henderson can climb reasonably well. He's not a Rojas or a Freire, but he can climb about as well as a Hondo or maybe Davis. If Alby has a chance, so does Greg.

Not quite as good as Davis' Vuelta climbing form!

But yeh he is solid. CJ is nothing huge, I'd say he's a bit better than Cav/Greipel though.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Ferminal said:
Not quite as good as Davis' Vuelta climbing form!

But yeh he is solid. CJ is nothing huge, I'd say he's a bit better than Cav/Greipel though.

Libertine Seguros said:
Don't know about Sutton, but Henderson can climb reasonably well. He's not a Rojas or a Freire, but he can climb about as well as a Hondo or maybe Davis. If Alby has a chance, so does Greg.

Thanks, I was just wondering because I don't think their leadout really matches HTC or Garmin and their leadout train will need to be to pick up a stage. I personally don't see gerrans winning at stirling.

I as yet have not heard or seen the results. I obviously dont want to read the thread until i do. Does anyone know where i can see highlights of the race? there are none on youtube atm, will they be there later?

By highlights i mainly mean the last 2 km, but would be interesting to see who got in the break and what the rest of the circuit was like.

The Hitch said:
I as yet have not heard or seen the results. I obviously dont want to read the thread until i do. Does anyone know where i can see highlights of the race? there are none on youtube atm, will they be there later?

By highlights i mainly mean the last 2 km, but would be interesting to see who got in the break and what the rest of the circuit was like.
I think the race starts in about 12 hours.

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Oops

What a fail from me :eek:

I thought it was on Saturday

No you were right its already happened.. Kristoff won. Burning off Cav, Gorrila, Tyler and leaving them for dead.

kidding. :p

Actually i reckon CJ will get this, or Mathews.

theyoungest said:
Ah, then it's a late start, I reckon? Something like 7 PM?

I think Matthews would prefer the course to be slightly more undulating than this pan flat affair.

Yeh... 6:30PM local time I think (Adelaide is 30min behind the East Coast). It will still be light at the finish though (maybe sunset?).

theyoungest said:
Yeah, shut up already, here in cold, grey, and rainy Holland we don't like to hear about beautiful Australian sunsets ;)

BTW I had no idea there were 30 minute time zones in Australia.

East Coast (VIC, NSW, QLD, ACT, TAS) are GMT +10:00

Central (NT and SA) are GMT +9:30

West Coast (WA) are GMT + 8:00

But it's summer, so daylight savings messes it up a bit (QLD and WA do not have daylight savings).

Now you know how annoying it is for us to try and work out when Euro races are starting :p

But it's great for me, can watch all the races at a good time with most finishing <11PM in Euro winter or <Midnight when you turn your clocks forward. Poor acf in the East though has to stay up well into the morning to watch his man race.

theyoungest said:
Where has Kristoff shown this amazing speed you speak of?
ACF 94 is overrating Kristoff beyond imagination but if there's one thing he has, it's amazing speed. He doesn't seem to be able to utilize on it though, as he often comes to the sprints exhausted and/or in bad position.

He's mostly shown this kind of speed in training though, but he was also the fastest (I think) in the last meters of vattenfall last year. I also believe he beat Cavendish in an intermediate sprint at the 2008 Tour of Ireland, although I'm not sure how commited Cavendish was to that particular sprint :p

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
Ferminal said:
Why race bicycles when you can wrestle crocs?

thats the latest craze in Queensland unless I'm mistaken. Imagine finding a crocodile in your front room after a flood. And poisonous snakes. :eek:

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
TV Coverage; http://www.tourdownunder.com.au/news--and--media/televisioncoverage

For those in the UK & Ireland, Sky sports coverage as follows;

Cancer Helpline Classic:

Sunday 16 January - Highlights on Sky Sports 3 between 1800-1830*

Monday 17 January - Highlights on Sky Sports 2 between 0230-0300* and on Sky Sports 3 between 0500-0530*, 1000-1030* and 1430-1500*

IG Markets Stage One:

Tuesday 18 January - Highlights on Sky Sports 2 between 1830-1900*

Wednesday 19 January - Highlights on Sky Sports 2 between 0330-0400*

IG Markets Stage Two:

Wednesday 19 January - Highlights on Sky Sports 2 between 1830-1900* and on Sky Sports 4 between 2230-2300*

Thursday 20 January - Highlights on Sky Sports 4 between 0200-0230* and on Sky Sports 2 between 0330-0400*

Stage Three:

Thursday 20 January - Highlights on Sky Sports 2 between 1830-1900* and 2030-2100*

Friday 21 January - Highlights on Sky Sports 2 between 0130-0200*

Stage Four:

Friday 21 January - Highlights on Sky Sports 4 between 1800-1830*

Stage Five:

Saturday 22 January - Live coverage on Sky Sports 4 between 0000-0400* and extended highlights between 1500-1700*

IG Markets Stage Six:

Sunday 23 January - Live coverage on Sky Sports 4 between 0230-0530* and extended highlights on Sky Sports 3 between 1600-1800*

Sunday 24 January - Extended highlights on Sky Sports 4 between 0100-0300* and on Sky Sports 3 between 0800-1000*

TRENDING THREADS