• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Sunderland leaves Sky!

A

Anonymous

Indeed he has. Im sure everyone wishes all the best to him and his family. Not much else to be said right now really.

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
The discussion on the Clinic has just been closed, but I think a good point was raised. I know TeamSkyFans is going to get at me for this...

There's a good reason why SS has left, but there's a lot of coincidence in the timing, and it's also curious that he has left totally and with "immediate effect". I'm sure SS himself understands the timing and knows there will be speculation. Yes it is a personal reason that he's given, and not one that should be ruthlessly picked apart, but there could be more to this.

On the same basis that you don't know who's been cheating just by thinking they're a nice bloke, I think in a situation like this, there's no justification that just because he has a valid and somewhat tricky reason to leave, it doesn't mean there's not more to it....

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
petesam said:

Time... place... this ain't it.

Sunderland's son Tristan is suffering from congenital hepatic fibrosis, a life-threatening disease affecting both the kidneys and the liver. You don't take "convenient steps" with that hanging over your family. Cycling is a side-show here.

Best wishes to him and his family. Hopee there will be better times ahead that enable him to come back to his other love, cycling.

Nuff said.

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
petesam said:
I agree, nuff said, but no point shooting someone down over what is a reasonable observation in what is a forum for discussion.

The clinic is the only area to discuss dope. Where this topic was already closed down for discussion. Taking your dope conspiracy theory here is not a reasonable observation, it flies in the face of forum rules.

Francois the Postman said:
The clinic is the only area to discuss dope. Where this topic was already closed down for discussion. Taking your dope conspiracy theory here is not a reasonable observation, it flies in the face of forum rules.

I can't see any references on this thread to doping.

He's left, they announced it on a day where it wouldn't get huge press and quite possibly with compassionate reasons.

Some people want to talk about it, others would prefer not. There may be more to it, there may not. I guess we are used to reading between the lines and second guessing teams actions. That's quite possibly more a sign of our cynicism than anything else.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
petesam said:
...somewhat tricky reason to leave, it doesn't mean there's not more to it....

Francois the Postman said:
Cycling is a side-show here.

Best wishes to him and his family. Hopee there will be better times ahead that enable him to come back to his other love, cycling.

Nuff said.

Petesam, there's nothing "tricky" about having a sick child. My three year old daughter has a life-threatening neurological disease and I can assure you that when your kid is seriously ill everything else falls by the wayside.

I hope the child can get the treatment he needs.