• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Sunguard new Saxo Bank sponsor?

May 11, 2009
Visit site
According to a Danish newspaper, Sunguard will be the new Saxo Bank main sponsor. They will announce their sponsorship during the TOC. As source they claim to have heard "rumours" from California.

Link to the article here(in Danish, but you can probably translate with google translate): http://politiken.dk/sport/cykling/article972548.ece

As a Dane, I hope it is true. Many rider were starting to talk about new teams.

Well, I'm always happy when a major team doesn't collapse. :p It's also good to see a Fortune 500 company get into the sport.

Seriously though, it'll be interesting so see whether this covers the full amount that Saxo was kicking in, or maybe a bit more, since the Schlecks need new contracts, and those wont come cheap.

EDIT: Kind of funny how the article says that SunGard would become the fourth American sponsor of a ProTour team, even though HTC is Taiwanese.... I guess they're solely focusing on the Columbia part.

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
Ace. Curious how that will (re)shuffle the Schleck's end-of-contract decks.

All we need now is find a suitable groom for Caisse and two pillars in cycling won't be demolished for scraps only, with a bit of luck.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Francois the Postman said:
All we need now is find a suitable groom for Caisse and two pillars in cycling won't be demolished for scraps only, with a bit of luck.
i read in some interview that caisse replacement has been found but not announced yet.

python said:
i read in some interview that caisse replacement has been found but not announced yet.

I imagine it's not been announced yet because the sponsor has reserved the right to pull out in case Valverde get's shelved for two years. Very little point in investing millions in a team if the super-star is going to get busted a month or so down the line.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Moondance said:
I imagine it's not been announced yet because the sponsor has reserved the right to pull out in case Valverde get's shelved for two years. Very little point in investing millions in a team if the super-star is going to get busted a month or so down the line.
that or may be a shared partial commitment is still being sought. btw, valverde's decision is due this month.

A

Anonymous

I wonder if Riis will be able to hang on to Cancellara? Somehow I get the feeling Cancellara may be headed to BMC... Swiss roots and all.

I'm glad the team won't collapse.

May 15, 2009
Visit site
If Cance and Schleck brothers stay in Saxo, then Fuglsang or Breschel or both of them will go. The team doesnt need so many Danish riders any more.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
joy118118 said:
If Cance and Schleck brothers stay in Saxo, then Fuglsang or Breschel or both of them will go. The team doesnt need so many Danish riders any more.

True - they would have left at some point anyways, but since there is no danish sponsor anymore it could really be at the end of the season.

What kind of company is Sunguard?

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Scott SoCal said:
I wonder if Riis will be able to hang on to Cancellara? Somehow I get the feeling Cancellara may be headed to BMC... Swiss roots and all.

I'm glad the team won't collapse.

Fabian is on contract for 2011.

I think Riis will do what he can to keep Breschel. Not so sure about Fuglsang.

Moondance said:

It would surprise me if that was the case. Any potential sponsor would have come into negotiations knowing that in all likelihood, Valverde is going to be suspended. Of course, who knows what that ban is going to look like? Will he be able to race in Italy again next year since he will have already served a 2 year ban there?

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Moondance said:
Seriously though, it'll be interesting so see whether this covers the full amount that Saxo was kicking in, or maybe a bit more, since the Schlecks need new contracts, and those wont come cheap.

nor will Cancellara's!

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
Moondance said:
Much ado about nothing, then.

Not necessarelly, the Cyclingnews article is based on a Danish ARticle, but it doesn't represent the original article correctly. I've read the Original Danish article and it does quote Greenwood as rejecting it, but states that he has done this at an earlier point- Menaing it's not a fresh quote. Riis says that nothing has been signed, but that's not a clear denial. So really it's still just a rumour, but it hasn't been proven false yet.

TRENDING THREADS