• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Supplement to aid weight loss?

Mar 26, 2009
Visit site
I am trying to lean out. I am at 156 and want to lose 10-15 lbs and stay leaner. are there any sensible supplements that work toward such a goal? I am particularly interested in something that is non-speedy. I do a mixture of exercise drills, about an hour of some kind of aerobics 5-6 days a week, cycling, swimming and indoor elliptical. weights twice a week - lighter, higher reps. I have lost about 22 lbs in the past 3 months. Any ideas?

Apr 19, 2009
Visit site
daviel said:
I am trying to lean out. I am at 156 and want to lose 10-15 lbs and stay leaner. are there any sensible supplements that work toward such a goal? I am particularly interested in something that is non-speedy. I do a mixture of exercise drills, about an hour of some kind of aerobics 5-6 days a week, cycling, swimming and indoor elliptical. weights twice a week - lighter, higher reps. I have lost about 22 lbs in the past 3 months. Any ideas?

I would just continue to watch your diet, and cross train. With the recent disclosure of Hydroxycut causing liver damage I would stay away from those types of supplements.

How tall are you? 156 pounds seems very lean and to get down to 140 is going to give you what? I am 5 9 and my best racing weight was 160lbs. I was typically more of a sprinter and TT rider and not a climber.....

Mar 26, 2009
Visit site
I am 5'5" so there was not a lot of room for all that protein. I'd like to stay in the 140's. I have been satisfied with my changing the way I eat. I guess I just want to hurry. Thanks for the suggestions!

Jul 16, 2009
Visit site
I'm down 40lbs in the last 2 months by increasing my protein intake and taking a large decrease in both carbs and fat. I've found that CytoSports Muscle Milk Light is a great way to maintain the fat loss. It's not really a weight loss supplement, but a diet supplement.
Me, personally, I try to eat 150 calories every 2.5 hours that I am awake. If I'm going to exercise for an extended amount of time (non-weight lifting activities), I will eat more right before and slightly after. Also, to put this into perspective, I only ride for 4 hours per week. I'm in the weight loss phase for a venture into the local cycling scene next spring. (or possibly cyclocross if the weigh continues to drop at this pace)

Jul 31, 2009
Visit site
RE

As you said that you are satisfied with your eating habit so, here I just want to suggest you to give some more time to exercise and swimming.

Mar 26, 2009
Visit site
You are right! I kicked the aerobic exercise up to an hour a session and it is working to chase the weight. In addition I'm swimming about a half-mile 2 or three times a week and doing light weights/high reps twice a week.

The best supplement is riding a bike. Do not loose more than a half kilo a week or you will start to atrophy your muscles and slow your metabolism. You body will want to hang on to fat more and more as you get really lean and will seek out alternate sources of energy (your muscles!). This will not be offset by training and in fact the loss of mass as you become very lean will inhibit your physiological improvements. However, as you stabilize your mass your improvements will progress normally. Jan Ulrich was a classic example of this phenomenon. His progress stalled every spring as he shed the fat and he had to bust his fat *** to get ready for the tour with some help from the odd blood transfusion.

Aug 18, 2009
www.health.exocia.biz
One should have a mindset that seeks to move toward any exercise regime as a way of life and not as a quick fix thing that would be finished after one gets the required result. And while at this, it is always important to remember no two bodies are the same and the way one body responds to exercise is different from the way another will behave. Therefore the way your trainer, neighbor, or friend turned out to be is not a assurance that you will achieve the same results. The key thing is just to ensure that you continue to do the right things towards that healthy body that you so deserve and entitled to subject to your having the correct mindset.

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
daviel said:

It's not clear from your original post whether you feel as though you have plateau'd, but given the weight loss over the past three months, I can't imagine you've had time to determine that. Clearly what you're doing is working; stick with it so long as you don't feel as though your energy levels are dropping. Depending on your age, etc., your body might resist going too much lighter...

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
daviel said:
I have stalled out at 156. I am just eating too much - I have to get a handle on that. Thanks for the reply.

Are you sure? To be able to say you are eating too much, do you know your basal metabolic rate and your daily calorific intake? Taking an estimate from your description of your exercise regime you'd be needing something like 450 - 510g of carbohydrates per day. Putting that in an easy to understand form, that's about equivalent to the carbs in 20 slices of whole wheat bread per day. How does that compare to what you eat? The range I've given is pretty big since I don't know your body composition, so it's hard to make an exact call ...

Also, have you had your body composition checked? Are you making the mistake of working just off weight and ignoring changes in the amount of lean body mass and body fat? And bear in mind that your body doesn't just carry fat under the skin - so you could be losing body fat and not necessarily seeing any increase in muscle definition.

Your weight loss to date is actually consistent with normal, healthy and - this is the important bit - lasting weight loss. Just chill and go with what you're doing - you're on the right track and, as the saying goes, all good things come to those who wait! :)

All of us know that we must worship the body we live in, but how many of us actually follow this particular advice. In fact, on the contrary, a majority of us conveniently forget to pay attention to our bodily needs. Erratic lifestyles, uneven working hours, alcohol and cigarettes form the core of our life and all this in turn leads to health concerns.In order to prevent ourselves from falling in to the trap of dangerous and painful diseases, it is best that we begin to adopt a healthy lifestyle.

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Dont worry about it just ride at your best .OK you may not be first up the hill but you will pass the skinny climbers going down.

Waight comes and goes find what you are comfortable with no use using stimulants to slim down if it keeps you awake at night you will eventualy burn out not enough sleep.

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
ianzinta said:
As you said that you are satisfied with your eating habit so, here I just want to suggest you to give some more time to exercise and swimming.

Hi I heard that swimming is the best exercise to reduce the body fat and weight. But what for the people who doesn't know swimming. Is there any exercise that gives the equivalent effective similar to swimming.

nigelle said:
Hi I heard that swimming is the best exercise to reduce the body fat and weight. But what for the people who doesn't know swimming. Is there any exercise that gives the equivalent effective similar to swimming.

For whatever reason, swimming does not work well for weight loss. I don't know why. Running works the best. Again, I don't know why. It should be a simple issue of calories burned while exercising, but I have always been able to achieve my lowest weight with running.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
For whatever reason, swimming does not work well for weight loss. I don't know why. QUOTE]

Swimming is great for aerobics but it doesn't work as well for weight loss because it is not weight bearing. Spending the same period of time running will use way more energy and therefore contribute more to weight loss.

I was involved in a sport for many years that had weight classes. I wrestled with an obsession of the scale. I havent stepped on one for 5 years except at the doctors office because it causes anxiety.

I have tried all kinds of supplements. none were effective. Like someone posted above, my lowest weight was always attained with running in combination with a lower carb and low glycemic food and a lot of protein. This can hinder your reserves for performing aerobically but if your after weight loss it boils down to expending more than you put in. There isnt any other substitute.

Im still a novice cyclist but from my past athletics I am getting better at finding out how I can get the most weight loss from it. Im paying more attention to heart rate and taking advantage of being able to do more cardio on the bike due to less jarring of the body from running. I guess, more work, less food and the right kind of food.

You'd think by now there would be a proven supplement that is a win win win for weight loss. There isnt one, but they keep inventing them.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
I know this thread is about supplements for weight loss, but do you really need them? There are so many quick fixes out there, but what about just a sensible approach to achieving and maintaining your ideal weight? Hard work and a sensible diet (ie, not a fad diet, but something you can incorporate into your everyday life with minimal impact or change). Each to their own regarding the best weight loss exercise. I like weights and running with a combination of high intensity and recovery work outs on the bike for weight loss, but I also combine these with a variety of other sports like cross-country skiing, snow shoeing, climbing, swimming, hiking, canoeing, yoga and hopefully soon some martial arts. For me, the variety maintains my interest and gets me out there doing different things. I typically eat a high protein, low GI diet with no processed foods and minimal carbohydrates (ie, meat/fish with lots of vegetables and fruit). These meals are easy to cook, tasty, filling and do not involve counting calories or making sacrifices. And I jump on the scales every day. If I see my weight creeping up, then I will reduce my plate size and/or increase my workload. That way I am not 2 months down the track and having to work off 5kg that have mysteriously packed itself on to my frame. I'd rather know that I look the way I do because of a sensible training regime than rely on supplements or drugs to achieve a look or desired weight.

TRENDING THREADS