• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Suprise Rider of 2010

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
I don't know if this has been discussed in another place, but who is you pick to be the surprise/breakthrough rider of 2010. I think last year it was certainly Bradley Wiggins and his performance at the Tour, but that can certainly be disputed.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Been thinking this for years, but he's yet to break out: Greg Henderson

Gerald Ciolek to those who think he's just a sprinter. But it won't happen at Milram, so not yet in 2010.

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
It's hard to say. Heinrich Haussler could potentially have a huge season, but will that surprise anyone? In fact, none of the guys immediately coming to mind would be all that surprising.

This is a contradiction to a comment in the garmin v. sky poll, but Lovkvist might surprise some people in a GT. Maybe not the Tour, but if he rides in the Giro or Vuelta, he has top ten potential.

ImmaculateKadence said:
It's hard to say. Heinrich Haussler could potentially have a huge season, but will that surprise anyone? In fact, none of the guys immediately coming to mind would be all that surprising.

This is a contradiction to a comment in the garmin v. sky poll, but Lovkvist might surprise some people in a GT. Maybe not the Tour, but if he rides in the Giro or Vuelta, he has top ten potential.

A bit of national bias here but I think all 3 Irish guys, Dan Martin, Nicolas Roche and Philip Deignan could have breakthrough seasons. We have seen flashes of talent from all of them so far so heres hoping this will be the season they move up.

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
pmcg76 said:
A bit of national bias here but I think all 3 Irish guys, Dan Martin, Nicolas Roche and Philip Deignan could have breakthrough seasons. We have seen flashes of talent from all of them so far so heres hoping this will be the season they move up.

I agree with Dan and Nicolas. I was very impressed with Roche in the Tour, and I think Martin is mature enough now to really hurt some guys in the mountains. I am interested to see how Jack Bobridge does though, along with Lars Boom. These boys have power.

A

Anonymous

issoisso said:

Gerald Ciolek to those who think he's just a sprinter. But it won't happen at Milram, so not yet in 2010.

Henderson's ride at Paris-Roubaix was very good. Haussler was a real danger and was seemingly everywhere. EBH had some awsome rides. Horner had some great rides in between broken bones. Evans finally won an important race.

issoisso said:

Hendy has developed a lot more speed and tactical nous in the last year or two and I think this year is a great opportunity for him to shine now that he's out of the shadow of Greipel and Cavendish at Colombia.

A

Anonymous

I'm looking forward to seeing how Geraint Thomas and Peter Kennaugh get on. Both look like major talents so far.

Edvald BH willl have a big season - but that can't be classed as a surprise.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
Peter Kennaugh... i think he will raise a few eyebrows this year. EBH will also have a storming season. all about Team sky really!

A guy like Yauheni Hutarovich might be ready for a more massive breakthrough. He's been progressing steadily over the last three seasons, getting more (and bigger) victories, and he did show his speed in the bunch sprints at a couple of occasions in Le Tour 09. 10th at Paris-Tours, 13th at Gent-Wevelgem and 22nd at Paris-Roubaix proves he has a knack for the classics too.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Farrar will leave a lot of fans gobsmacked on the cobbles.

Ben hermans, Guillaume Levarlet. Let's see, more likely breakthroughs............

Peter Velits.

EDIT: Oh and Rujano to win the Giro if finally gets his head on straight and trains properly. Which I doubt he'll do. Yes, I did say win.

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
Geraint Thomas - anyone who can do a pursuit as fast as him must be able to do something good on the road when he focuses on it instead of the track and on a decent team.

Sep 2, 2009
Visit site
Jakob Fuglsang - I was excited to see him ride along with Gesink on Mount Ventoux (in front of Contador and Evans).
not yet a big star so he could make some unexpected headlines...

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Ryder Hesjedal - I think his stage win at the Vuelta will finally cement his self-belief. I think he will sneak under the radar and take away a big win this year, either a Classic or semi-Classic, as well as another GT stage win.

TRENDING THREADS