• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Surprise in weight differences

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
Not a big deal, but I just swapped out my Ultegra 10 speed (pre-SL) rd, fd, shifters and brakes for DA 7800 counterparts. My Cervelo SLC (48cm) with Reynolds Assault wheels and FSA SL-K carbon compact crank weighed 17 lbs before the switch and 16 lbs 14 ounces after -- a savings of a whopping 2 ounces!!!! I was underwhelmed.

Like I said, no big deal -- got some new gear that is arguably better and smoother (and shinier:)), but I was expecting about a 1/2 pound difference.

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
Hey iwannabe, performance vs. cost? Probably not worth it if it were new dura ace 7800 vs. new ultegra, but since I was replacing well-used ultegra parts, why not?

"the truth", hmmm..... quite the handle you have there. So what are you saying? My post is pointless? or swapping ultegra for dura ace? I guess I should have made it more clear that I was replacing old parts, not just to switching to save weight. My post was just to show my observation of the weight difference. No other point, but thanks for your input.

Mar 16, 2009
ellobodelmar.spaces.live.com
sappie said:
I guess I should have made it more clear that I was replacing old parts, not just to switching to save weight. My post was just to show my observation of the weight difference. No other point, but thanks for your input.

Yeah that makes more sense replacing old parts not just for weight. Notice any difference in performance between the two?

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
Hey krebs. Haven't ridden it so much to be absolutely sure, but the rear shifting seems a bit smoother. Ultegra was smooth and certainly more than good enough for me, but the Dura Ace seems a bit more effortless. Maybe because of the newness? The shifters both seem more responsive too, engaging quicker and with less effort. Not much difference in braking or front shifting.

Jun 4, 2009
Visit site
sappie said:
Hey iwannabe, performance vs. cost? Probably not worth it if it were new dura ace 7800 vs. new ultegra, but since I was replacing well-used ultegra parts, why not?

"the truth", hmmm..... quite the handle you have there. So what are you saying? My post is pointless? or swapping ultegra for dura ace? I guess I should have made it more clear that I was replacing old parts, not just to switching to save weight. My post was just to show my observation of the weight difference. No other point, but thanks for your input.

Sappie, it was a genuine question. I've only been riding 6 months so I'm learning... I've just upgraded to a scott addict r3 running ultegra [not the latest ultegra]. Ideally I would have liked to run dura ace but my budget didn't stretch that far, hence my question - "performance v cost". Plus I've never riden a bike with dura ace.

Given the running gear [sora] on my first bike the ultegra is such an improvement. So I was thinking if the dura ace is such a big improvement to ultegra then I better start saving...:)

iwannabeabiker said:
Sappie, it was a genuine question. I've only been riding 6 months so I'm learning... I've just upgraded to a scott addict r3 running ultegra [not the latest ultegra]. Ideally I would have liked to run dura ace but my budget didn't stretch that far, hence my question - "performance v cost". Plus I've never riden a bike with dura ace.

Given the running gear [sora] on my first bike the ultegra is such an improvement. So I was thinking if the dura ace is such a big improvement to ultegra then I better start saving...:)

not a lot of difference beteween ultegra and dura-ace performance wise.
the weight adds up though. i have ridden both for eons.dura-ace is more
stout usually.

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
iwannabeabiker said:

Enjoy your Ultegra, Dura Ace is not a big performance improvement for the cost. What usedtobe says makes sense. Nice bike btw.:cool:

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
One thing I've consistently noticed: For most goods and services, the marginal productivity/marginal cost tradeoff changes abruptly between the second top-of-the-line and top-of-the-line product. That is, there is usually a big price increase to justify the final increase in productivity.

Makes sense, as in this final margin, you are competing with one of two groups: (1) the wealthy, for whom the change in price still represents a small part of an overall budget, and (2) professional or serious users, for whom the small change in productivity has greater than normal benefits.

TRENDING THREADS