• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

swearing on eurosport

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
Did anyone else hear this? David Harmon must of been told he was off air & then swar at someone and then everyone said he was on air still......

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
kease7 said:
Did anyone else hear this? David Harmon must of been told he was off air & then swar at someone and then everyone said he was on air still......
Yes - I think he had been told the Eurosport had dropped the feed and were not going to show the podium - but he was told that British Eurosport was still on air and would be following it.

There is a rumour going around Twitter, that he's had the boot.
Doubtful, apparently, under French law, it takes 3 warnings.
They should give him a fecking medal!
Le Tosseurs in Paris give cycling the French shaft, for tennis, motorsport, sumo wresting, tiddlywinks and syncronised crocheting.:rolleyes::mad:

A

Anonymous

he could be talking about anything..

theres no way on earth they can fire someone for that... fire the person who didnt cut his audio maybe...

dave harmon went up a mile in my estimation.. good to hear him standing up for the viewers...

I was shocked, not at what David said, but the manner that the onsite produce/director/gob****e had handled the lack of count down for David and Sean.

They really really should know to give a ten seconds before a break or end of live coverage to let the viewers know, but some gob****e could not do his/her job properly, and to be honest i'm not surprised at all given some of Eurosport's other failings in their sports coverage.

If DH has been sacked for that, then I do not see much hope in future commentary for Eurosport. As good as Carlton Kirby is on calling a sprint he really can't do coverage for over 2 hours unless its on continuous action like in motorbikes. Today, for example David and Sean managed to keep interest at a satisfactory level even though the race was very dull for about 13 of the 19 laps, and explained its exactly why they don't show a full race more often.

If he expected the podium to be shown he was sadly mistaken as the time just overran with the race finishing at just before 4.30pm GMT when it was due to go off air anyway, and the riders were still crossing the line, so the podium was unlikely to be seen anyway. Which if it had happened in Moto GP, or World Superbikes, or World Touring Cars, or Beach Football, or European Tiddlywinks Championships for the blind would have overran for podiums, interviews and in-studio analysis for about an hour cutting into any cycling coverage Eurosport had that day.

Oh well, one thing we can certainly say about DH is he is passionate. More than can be said of other commentators on the sport around the world.

A

Anonymous

Swearing? Seriously? I mean if he had said cocksucker or something, I could see what all of the hubub is about, but "bollocks?" I mean, it is banned on this forum too? Bollocks? Okay then...

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
Swearing? Seriously? I mean if he had said cocksucker or something, I could see what all of the hubub is about, but "bollocks?" I mean, it is banned on this forum too? Bollocks? Okay then...

I don't see anything wrong with what he did.

He's incredulous at first. "You...what?" etc

Then he sums up his feelings - without shouting or ranting - just three words.

Plenty of anchors would have thrown a genuine wobbly. He didn't.

Apr 10, 2009
Visit site
Help me here guys... I'm from Texas so I don't know what "********" are... Did I spell it right? What are "********"? I will make this my word of the day so help me use it in a sentence...

The_Mikester said:
Help me here guys... I'm from Texas so I don't know what "********" are... Did I spell it right? What are "********"? I will make this my word of the day so help me use it in a sentence...

Lance Armstrong only has one bollock so the fact he considers himself the dog's bollocks is, frankly, bollocks.

A

Anonymous

The_Mikester said:

testicles dear chap, testicles...

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
To be honest I actually burst out laughing when it happened, i got a great laugh out of it. I seriously hope he hasnt got the boot for this as that would be too much. He didnt know he was on air obviously so maybe whoever wires them up etc will have to be talked too as well. I like Harmon a lot & enjoy his company watching racing on tv. Anyway dont worry Dave im sure it will all work out. Sorry but it was very funny.

No, it is not swearing, and those of us who remember the Sex Pistols should know. There was a test case, and their album title "Never mind the bollocks, here's the Sex Pistols" was ruled not obscene.

If they fire him fro that, it's well.... bollocks

Jul 24, 2009
Visit site
Big_Blue_Dave said:
If DH has been sacked for that, then I do not see much hope in future commentary for Eurosport. As good as Carlton Kirby is on calling a sprint he really can't do coverage for over 2 hours unless its on continuous action like in motorbikes.
Although I find Kirby affable enough (in fact I think as Eurosport's "Paris man" he was excellent during the Tour), as a chief commentator I wouldn't fancy it. I couldn't believe it when he miscalled Alejandro Valverde and Sylvester Szmyd's deal during the Dauphiné on Ventoux as Szmyd cracking, then Valverde taking it for granted, then Szmyd coming back and attacking Valverde.

Jun 3, 2009
Visit site
I'm a fan of Harmon and Kelly, good chemistry and to be honest I can't see my cycling season with any other commentator now.
The thing i like most is the viewer interaction when nothings going on, and the fact he always manages to keep things alive, even when the race itself is quite boring.

I know there are people who don't like Harmon, but more the fool them.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
doddy13 said:
I'm a fan of Harmon and Kelly, good chemistry and to be honest I can't see my cycling season with any other commentator now.
The thing i like most is the viewer interaction when nothings going on, and the fact he always manages to keep things alive, even when the race itself is quite boring.

I know there are people who don't like Harmon, but more the fool them.

It was the first time I have ever listened to a long commentary with both Sean & David - they were both very good and compliment each other well.

Long day at the office for them yesterday too - yet they kept it rolling along nicely even during some of the quiet points of the race - they will be my "race-radio" from now on.

Jun 3, 2009
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
It was the first time I have ever listened to a long commentary with both Sean & David - they were both very good and compliment each other well.

Long day at the office for them yesterday too - yet they kept it rolling along nicely even during some of the quiet points of the race - they will be my "race-radio" from now on.

Off topic slightly but from what I understand Race Radio at the worlds was poor (to say the best).

I know what Skip and Dr. Maserati mean there. I've had the joys of the pair on Eurosport for the past few years since Duffers was retired from front line duties and given his studio pipe and slippers with the most unknowledgeable studio presenter ever in James Richardson, and that includes (for those Brits who are still around with the Aussies on such a high that its almost illegal!!!) Ian Wright on the new Channel 5 programme.

I think it could mean Anthony McCrossen permanently moving up from Cycling.tv to Eurosport. With Kirby staying as back up and stat man for the TdF. I'd just love to see Richardson get bumped for someone with much greater knowledge on the sport.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Harmon and Kelly is a beautiful thing that should not be tampered with. If anything, "That's bóllócks JC" improves his standing further in my view. A passion for the sport and for his job - that is exactly what you want in sports broadcasting. I hope to hear him for years to come.

I expect to see That's bóllócks JC on T-shirts by the start of the next season.

TRENDING THREADS