• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Synvisc Injections

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
Due to unpredictable swelling in my knee due to arthritis and possible bone chips, my Orthopedic Surgeon suggested to consider Synvisc injections (which is a synthetic hyaluronic acid joint lubricant gel for my knee) to relieve the pain. Has anyone have this procedure done and was it a success?

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
You have my sympathey that stuff hurts but the lasting effects are good for 3 months.

I saw my ortherpedic surgeon with same I have ostiophites on the patteler tendon when I ask if he could remove them he told me to keep riding and wear them off.

Glucosamine is same but dosnt work in some people.
give it a go but be prepared for some pain in the first week.

Jan 22, 2010
Visit site
It will probably be a series of 3 injections, one a week for three weeks, usually done on the same day of the week. Depending on your age, you should probably do fine with them. They are definitely worth a try before you decide to have your knee scoped. typically, once you go that road, your knee is never the same (obviously).
Glucosamine is more of a prevention method, rather than a treatment, like Synvisc.
Everyone I've seen who has had the injections has had some level of improvement.
If pain on the bike is the big issue, definitely check your fit on the bike and shoes. Insoles and wedges may help. Some bikeshops have really good people to properly fit people. It's gaining popularity quickly, so it's more widely available now.
Good luck

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
I have been racing a really long time 38 yrs (started when LA was 5 days old!) and have been professionally fitted over the years. Had my knee scoped two times & my Orthopedic Surgeon has suggested that this not a option as it is not required for this case. Have been taking Glucosamine for 6 years w/ somewhat decent results as my knees are not as sore or ache as much.
Thanks for your reply & I am calling to set up the Synvisc injections in the next couple of weeks.

Aug 3, 2009
Visit site
I was just diagnosed with arthritis and bursitis in my left knee via mri.
Never had any inkling I had a problem in that knee,no pain,no discomfort riding.
Walking up the stairs I felt some stiffness in that knee after a hard ride.Passed it off as just some strained ligaments.Knee swelled up and started retaining water fluid or whatever.Looked very abnormal.
Saw an ortho.Gave me a cortisone injection.Said I could still ride but to ice it down every time I rode.Cortisone reduced the swelling and pain for three weeks.
Stopped riding because of the pain.Family doc suggested no more riding.
I'm relegated to a damn eliptical now.
Its very depressing.Malady came on so quickly without notice.Took away something I enjoy very much in a very short period of time.
Ortho also suggested the injections you speak of.I declined.
Hope your therapy helps.

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
markrosen said:
I have been racing a really long time 38 yrs (started when LA was 5 days old!) and have been professionally fitted over the years. Had my knee scoped two times & my Orthopedic Surgeon has suggested that this not a option as it is not required for this case. Have been taking Glucosamine for 6 years w/ somewhat decent results as my knees are not as sore or ache as much.
Thanks for your reply & I am calling to set up the Synvisc injections in the next couple of weeks.

if it is arthritis or even some other soft tissue damage it could help. If you do infact have bone chips I can not see how this will help might relieve pain but does not get rid of the problem. Many times bone chips will move and your knee will lock, very painful if you are in a sprint.

TRENDING THREADS