• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Systematic doping of Kenyan runners

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Hajo Seppelt is a prominent German journalist who has done some ground breaking work on doping. He recently aired a report on ADR.

He went to Kenya and claimed to be a European Athlete's manager. With a hidden camera he spoke to one of the leading Athlete's doctor there about possibilities to get "extra support" i.e. doping . He was pointed towards the doctor from a source in Kenya track and field.

The doctor openly talked about how to perform blood doping, where to hide the blood bags, etc.. He said he has already a lot of experience with this. He can also get HGH's if he needed and EPO. Doctor said he is working with a lot of athletes, from many countries including Bahrain and the US, but of course does not want to call names.

He asked about doping controls in Kenya and the doctor said there are not many controls in Kenya, also he has a program running where he regularly checks the urine and blood of his athletes to see whether they could be tested positive.

Of course the Kenyans are going nuts

Race Radio said:
Hajo Seppelt is a prominent German journalist who has done some ground breaking work on doping. He recently aired a report on ADR.

He went to Kenya and claimed to be a European Athlete's manager. With a hidden camera he spoke to one of the leading Athlete's doctor there about possibilities to get "extra support" i.e. doping . He was pointed towards the doctor from a source in Kenya track and field.

The doctor openly talked about how to perform blood doping, where to hide the blood bags, etc.. He said he has already a lot of experience with this. He can also get HGH's if he needed and EPO. Doctor said he is working with a lot of athletes, from many countries including Bahrain and the US, but of course does not want to call names.

He asked about doping controls in Kenya and the doctor said there are not many controls in Kenya, also he has a program running where he regularly checks the urine and blood of his athletes to see whether they could be tested positive.

Of course the Kenyans are going nuts :)

I was categorically told by a top Aussie ex-runner that the Euro managers of a lot of the African runners are behind the doping, and it is widespread.

The airing of the report precipitated a swift and strong reaction from AK led by federation boss, Isaiah Kiplagat alongside the chairman of the country’s National Olympics Committee (NOC), Dr. Kipchoge Keino.

http://www.capitalfm.co.ke/sports/2012/05/29/ard-tv-hits-back-on-kenyan-doping-charges/

Ethiopia too..
http://www.usada.org/media/sanction-sisay5312012

Some coaches of African runners have stated that blood doping doesn't work on them... :)

May 19, 2012
Visit site
Race Radio said:
like Jos Hermans?

BTW, this is the same Journalist who broke the Contador story and the UCI's attempt to cover it up

I would think that Gebrselassie was/is one of the most obviously doped. Those 5k and 10k records dropped so unbelievably fast and in the early 90's.

May 19, 2012
Visit site
http://www.livestrong.com/article/211379-effects-of-music-on-exercise/

Ya gotta love this nonsense.

Improves Performance
When combined with exercise, music helps to increase speed and performance by as much as 20 percent, says Karageorghi. He calls music's effect on athletic performance the legal equivalent of a performance enhancing drug. Music also enhances flow--the state of optimum mental and physical performance, says Karageorghi. Olympic Gold medalist and marathon world record holder Haile Gebrselassie uses music while training to keep and increase his pace.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/211379-effects-of-music-on-exercise/#ixzz1wbqCVYft

goggalor said:
Track & field should be banned from the Olympics.

Well, the IAAF is only part of the problem. The IOC wants spectacular performances for their shows and are definitely part of the problem.

The smart endurance athletes are through their doping cycle by now and will have a potentially fabulous olympic performance. So, we won't know the extent of this one doctor's services for a few months.

May 18, 2009
Visit site
I guess this tosses out my hypothesis about Darwinism here, ie the remaining African runners are descendants of the best cheetah/hyena/lion outrunners.

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
Jeremiah said:
http://www.livestrong.com/article/211379-effects-of-music-on-exercise/

Ya gotta love this nonsense.

Improves Performance
When combined with exercise, music helps to increase speed and performance by as much as 20 percent, says Karageorghi. He calls music's effect on athletic performance the legal equivalent of a performance enhancing drug. Music also enhances flow--the state of optimum mental and physical performance, says Karageorghi. Olympic Gold medalist and marathon world record holder Haile Gebrselassie uses music while training to keep and increase his pace.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/211379-effects-of-music-on-exercise/#ixzz1wbqCVYft

I totally buy it - that could be the secret weapon of The Mighty Uniballer: 200+ bpm speedmetal streamed from the team radio during mountain stages. Fine-tuned by Dr. Ferrari so that the bpm matches the road steepness and featuring a patented attack button in the team car that increases bpm by 20% for 1 minute.

May 11, 2009
Visit site
Nick777 said:
I was categorically told by a top Aussie ex-runner that the Euro managers of a lot of the African runners are behind the doping, and it is widespread.

I'll just say that you top Aussie ex-runner friend is NOT yanking your chain on this one.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Are some of their European/Italian doctors to blame, or may they take credit for it?

How the Kenyans Take On New York

But Cheruiyot is part of the world’s top marathon training group, Kenyans marshaled by an Italian cardiologist, Dr. Gabriele Rosa. Over the past two decades this impressive assembly of men and women has won 34 big-city marathons, including nine times apiece in New York and Boston. One of its elite members, Sammy Wanjiru, became the first Kenyan to win an Olympic marathon, at the 2008 Beijing Games.

Supercoach claudio berardelli

May 25, 2009
Visit site
Here's my questions though

How much money is there is long distance running though? I mean, for the coaches and doctors etc.? Are there big purses on the international circuit? I know winning NYC marathon gets you a mercedes and cash but it's not like a Euro Cycling contract as a team leader for >$1 million then the athlete can pay doc $70k for a year of a program like Tyler did?

May 16, 2012
Visit site
the asian said:
What a load of Bull ****
Exactly, everyone who barely understand how Kenyans or Ethiopians train and live would have said same. I know it is sound stupid, but they are still in 1920 s on training principles.
They barely have running shoes when starting (flat feet and related injuries are common), planed/structured training plan is tailored by one runner (mostly star) and everyone follows it.
So no wonder when some coach (I know one) came there and show those guys things, first how to rest:eek:
How to run, they knows that already. Training with HRM is still space ship technology to them.
So I would rename this thread into:"Systematic misunderstanding of Kenyan runners";) or I am fat and hate running:D

To me that sounds more like "modern training methods are very very overrated".

But since everybody knows that serious PED use only happens in cycling, unless you are Lance Armstrong, this thread indeed is pointless.

I mean there's this guy in India who claims he lives on just a tiny drop of holy stuff and sunlight.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
chain chain chain said:
Exactly, everyone who barely understand how Kenyans or Ethiopians train and live would have said same. I know it is sound stupid, but they are still in 1920 s on training principles.
They barely have running shoes when starting (flat feet and related injuries are common), planed/structured training plan is tailored by one runner (mostly star) and everyone follows it.
So no wonder when some coach (I know one) came there and show those guys things, first how to rest:eek:
How to run, they knows that already. Training with HRM is still space ship technology to them.
So I would rename this thread into:"Systematic misunderstanding of Kenyan runners";) or I am fat and hate running:D

Sure all the things you mentioned in your post will improve race day performance.

But the consistency and pace at winning these major events has been a puzzler for quite sometime.

I believe that it has been known in the running community since the late 80’s that something was happening and that it was an organized system.
That does not excuse the poor results that have come from the USATF and the European countries but it does have some effect. For example “Out of competition testing”. The amount of testing that European athletes and then USA athletes see is far more than some of the “Other countries”.

You can’t just explain away the performances and consistency with “better training methods”.

Side note and a more personal note. I remember back in the 90’s when USA marathon coaching started to notice that USA marathon / distance running was falling well short. This was explained away as we did not have the talent or the training discipline anymore. This was a very interesting explanation especially considering what I knew to be bull**** at the time. I was part of a marathon training group that consisted of quite a few Olympic trial qualifiers and world class marathoners. Out training weeks were in excess of 80 miles a week and based on mileage and quality mileage alone it was not near producing the results that the very same methods were producing from the decade before. Why was that? I just used that one aspect of training (mileage) as an example we were doing many things including HRM and other testing along with that.

Over on letsrun forums that “coach” Carnova is having a meltdown.

Isn't it equally prejudiced (and incorrect) to say that "All Kenyan runners are good innocent child-like persons who would never use doping products" as to say "All Kenyan runners are doped to the gills"?

Stefan Matschiner had various Kenyan runners as clients, which he mentions in his book, as well as which doping products he provided them with.

Susan

TRENDING THREADS