• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Systematic doping of Kenyan runners

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
cprior said:
About two years ago he switched sponsors and moved to the US, to the exclusive training group at Nike headquarters that is. That's where his rise happened.

His agent and Nike placed him perfectly for that olympic cycle, he gets tons of coverage. Hats off for that perfectly executed marketing move!

Of course that training group is all clean and just about the latest technological gadgets, no one ever tested positive and I am sure they get tested a lot.
ok but he does training camps in kenya according to what I can find on the net, and has cited this a major factor not the U.S training camps. Im not taking a stance either way on it just thought id bring it up.

Jun 21, 2009
Visit site
noddy69 said:
Mo Farrah certainly seems to have benefitted from training Kenyan style.
From being unable to qualify for olympic final and being ok to becoming the favourite all done with the help of kenyan training.

Im not up to speed on running so just thought this was interesting. Make of it what you will.
http://www.spikesmag.com/features/mofarahonhisafricantrainingtrip.aspx

I'm not saying Farah is clean but this is the kind of stupid, unfounded speculation that does the discussion no good.

He's been training Kenyan style in the sense that he's running :rolleyes:

coz as cprior says:

cprior said:
About two years ago he switched sponsors and moved to the US, to the exclusive training group at Nike headquarters that is. That's where his rise happened.

that doesn't say much for whether he's clean or not but his coach, American Salazar once said that it would be difficult to be in the top three in the world without doping. For the last couple of years Mo has been number one and he's got people like Rupp coming up.

noddy69 said:
ok but he does training camps in kenya according to what I can find on the net, and has cited this a major factor not the U.S training camps. Im not taking a stance either way on it just thought id bring it up.

He went to Kenya in january as that's where UK Athletics send their athletes for altitude camps and it meant he could get away from the cold weather in America at that time and train in perfect conditions.

He lived in a hotel where no Kenyan athletes live and where he was surrounded by UKA staff and athletes.

he has not cited training camps in Kenya as a bigger factor than the US ones, he's moved to the "camp" site in the US fulltime to train ffs.

What he has said regarding this topic (if it can be said to be inside the topic) is that when he lived with Kenyans in Teddington, London, he saw how dedicated they were, 24/7

For those that follow running there has always been speculation about Salazar himself and his training 'methods'...along with the gimmicky 'latest in technology' stuff...

I'm not saying that to insinuate or spread anything about Alberto as I have no clue, but just putting it out there that it is a classic comment when Alberto Salazar's 'group' is brought up.

Jun 21, 2009
Visit site
mewmewmew13 said:
For those that follow running there has always been speculation about Salazar himself and his training 'methods'...along with the gimmicky 'latest in technology' stuff...

I'm not saying that to insinuate or spread anything about Alberto as I have no clue, but just putting it out there that it is a classic comment when Alberto Salazar's 'group' is brought up.

yes the underwater treadmills that they refuse to let other people see is :eek:

sounds odd, no doubt. And as you say there is lots of speculation about Salazar's group and methods in the running community.

so if one wants to put Mo Farah against the wall so to speak, that's what one should base it on. Not that he goes to Kenya with UK Athletics :rolleyes:

workingclasshero said:
yes the underwater treadmills that they refuse to let other people see is :eek:

sounds odd, no doubt. And as you say there is lots of speculation about Salazar's group and methods in the running community.

so if one wants to put Mo Farah against the wall so to speak, that's what one should base it on. Not that he goes to Kenya with UK Athletics :rolleyes:

No secret in the AlterG treadmills ....all over YouTube

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
workingclasshero said:
I'm not saying Farah is clean but this is the kind of stupid, unfounded speculation that does the discussion no good.

He's been training Kenyan style in the sense that he's running :rolleyes:

coz as cprior says:

that doesn't say much for whether he's clean or not but his coach, American Salazar once said that it would be difficult to be in the top three in the world without doping. For the last couple of years Mo has been number one and he's got people like Rupp coming up.

He went to Kenya in january as that's where UK Athletics send their athletes for altitude camps and it meant he could get away from the cold weather in America at that time and train in perfect conditions.

He lived in a hotel where no Kenyan athletes live and where he was surrounded by UKA staff and athletes.

he has not cited training camps in Kenya as a bigger factor than the US ones, he's moved to the "camp" site in the US fulltime to train ffs.

What he has said regarding this topic (if it can be said to be inside the topic) is that when he lived with Kenyans in Teddington, London, he saw how dedicated they were, 24/7
http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/training/kenya-training-diary-day-one/8277.html
Thats one of the places he stayed,link to facilities in the page....hardly a five star hotel on his own as you seem to allude to.
As for seeing how dedicated the kenyans were in London....eh maybe but cmon, you seem to suggest he says nothing about the kenyans on there home patch.....if you want to try and take my point apart do it right without using ridiculous points.

And as for speculation...this thread started on kenyans doping and how they must be.....I just added to the mix someone who has been to training camps...yes camps not 5 star hotels...and along with other methods and training has become one of the top athletes in his chosen field in the world.If people are gonna sling mud the kenyans way then lets look at who else trains there and what effect their methods have.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
mewmewmew13 said:

Someone needs to write a book on Athletics West. Would be very interesting

Jun 21, 2009
Visit site
noddy69 said:
http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/training/kenya-training-diary-day-one/8277.html
Thats one of the places he stayed,link to facilities in the page....hardly a five star hotel on his own as you seem to allude to.
As for seeing how dedicated the kenyans were in London....eh maybe but cmon, you seem to suggest he says nothing about the kenyans on there home patch.....if you want to try and take my point apart do it right without using ridiculous points.

see, you don't know what you're talking about. Lornah's place is one of the two hotels of a decent western standard in the area. It's got a pool, the perhaps nicest gym in the whole of Kenya, nice and clean rooms, good food, electricity, all you could wish for.

Did I "try to allude to" him having The High Altitude Training Centre on his own? How did you come to that conclusion? Are you wilfully being stupid? I said he was there with UKA staff and runners. Yes there will usually also be other nationalities there at the same time, such as Austrians and Germans.

the HATC is a nice hotel, far removed from the facilities of the local 61-62 minute half marathon runners.

Show me where he's said something about the "Kenyans on there home patch" and how it has influenced him.

I fail to see where I have used ridiculous points. You do bring some of that to the table though

I don't remember the details, but I remember some hubub in the Salazar group over the treatment of hyperthyroidism. Something like the condition being an excuse to take some beneficial medications? I believe similar skepticism rose out of Rupp's asthma medication.

Not saying treatment for medical problems is wrong or illegal, but I'm just trying to give some base to those accusations of the Salazar group

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
More Strides than Rides said:
I don't remember the details, but I remember some hubub in the Salazar group over the treatment of hyperthyroidism. Something like the condition being an excuse to take some beneficial medications? I believe similar skepticism rose out of Rupp's asthma medication.

Not saying treatment for medical problems is wrong or illegal, but I'm just trying to give some base to those accusations of the Salazar group

He used a lot of Prozac

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
workingclasshero said:
see, you don't know what you're talking about. Lornah's place is one of the two hotels of a decent western standard in the area. It's got a pool, the perhaps nicest gym in the whole of Kenya, nice and clean rooms, good food, electricity, all you could wish for.

Did I "try to allude to" him having The High Altitude Training Centre on his own? How did you come to that conclusion? Are you wilfully being stupid? I said he was there with UKA staff and runners. Yes there will usually also be other nationalities there at the same time, such as Austrians and Germans.

the HATC is a nice hotel, far removed from the facilities of the local 61-62 minute half marathon runners.

Show me where he's said something about the "Kenyans on there home patch" and how it has influenced him.

I fail to see where I have used ridiculous points. You do bring some of that to the table though

Ok here is the article where he stays in kenya...under a mosquito net in a training camp with 4 other athletes and attributes staying in kenya to opening his eyes........not London which you are right he did stay with kenyans.
no tv no internet
http://www.greenlifewellness.net/library/Why Kenyan Runners Have Endurance.pdf

Read it and then tell me im mad and my points are ridiculous...it pg 21 it begins and was an interview in spike magazine. alot more info in there too.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Regarding the sticky rumor that European doctors are/were involved in inplementing PED-use in Kenia, here's a case in point:
Nicolás Terrados, busted in 1998 for gearing up ONCE:

El médico (...) había estudiado en Kenia la fisiología de los mediofondistas africanos, en Escandinavia los métodos de preparación de los esquiadores de fondo y había sido pionero en la investigación de los entrenamientos en altitud,
http://67.227.137.43/noticias/sevilla-fc/nicolas-terrados-hoja-servicios-intachable.html

May 6, 2009
Visit site
You know... It almost makes you feel sorry for Fat Pat. He's basically just trying to run his sport like everyone else is running theirs. It's probably how the IOC want all sports run.
I.e. As long as the public perception is that people do it clean, then nothing else matters.

It's clear that other sports get away with it day-in-day-out, yet the focus is always on cycling.

Many point out that cycling is singled out because doping makes the most difference, but surely long distance running should come under the same scrutiny.

After seeing today's article in runnersworld, I googled to see how many other times Kisorio and Seppelt get mentioned and clearly nobody is interested :(

I can kind of understand it when people turn a blind eye in football, tennis, and other 'games', but long distance running!?

zebedee said:
Not my sport athletics, but it seems the Kenyan authorities acknowledge doping by their high-performance athletes.

http://www.starafrica.com/en/more-s...cs-kenya-confirm-use-of-banned-su-254355.html

Interesting that the doping doctors there are cutting deals with the athletes based on their ensuing race performance. I haven't heard of that before.

It makes sense. These docs are paid by the minute (off a marathon). And they want to be, as it's easy money. Let a bunch of 2:08 runners train on your EPO/HGH type of scheme for a while, get stronger. They let them (as usual) show up to fast city marathons. If they PB (and trust me, there is no slacking there), they cash in at the finish, and the docs gets his cut. Not bad for a couple vials and free access to the runners' groupies.

zebedee said:
Not my sport athletics, but it seems the Kenyan authorities acknowledge doping by their high-performance athletes.

http://www.starafrica.com/en/more-s...cs-kenya-confirm-use-of-banned-su-254355.html

Interesting that the doping doctors there are cutting deals with the athletes based on their ensuing race performance. I haven't heard of that before.

Picking at words is hard to do as articles go from one language to the other, but AK only acknowledges that dirty doctors are operating in Kenya. The organization claims that doctors will be arrested before December, with no mention of the athletes. This method of attack also dispells any accountability from the coaches of training camps throughout kenya, who may have had some role in facilitating the relationship with doctors.

I'm glad they are willing to yield under pressure, but their political wherewithal will only ensure that runners test negative and suspicions quell over time

TRENDING THREADS