• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tadej Pogačar discussion thread

Page 132 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I think the hard cipressa may have hurt him in the sense nobody was able to work with him. If he and another guy or two got away he’d have a fair chance of a sprint finish win even against the usual names. Instead they were only able to latch on and keep everyone else in tow, the worst of both worlds. Still probably not his ideal parcours though.
In hindsight the biggest damage done from any of his attacks was the first one and if he had sustained his attack then a maximum of 5 riders would have held his wheel as they all looked a bit ragged trying to cling on.

Exactly… Poggio could have worked for Tadej on Saturday, too - I think hardly anyone expected this Mohoric fireworks…

Tadej now lost an important race due to a weakness of himself: the lack of willingness to take risks.

Until now, fellow riders and public in general did not know of any weakness of Pogacar.

Now one could think this is good news: there is only one rider in the peloton who is on Tadej‘s level regarding strength, and this is Roglic.

Even better: Roglic is not really known for a lack of willingness to take risks - jumping from Planica‘s big Ski Flying hill demands some risk tolerance… :)

Bad luck, though, that Primoz is known for usually not finishing stage races with less than a dozen big, painful wounds… :(
Idk about this. Nobody else could follow Mohoric either and Pog has already proven himself to be among the best descenders and bike handlers. He has a Tour de France to win and that no doubt plays into his decision making. Winning by attacking 10 guys midway through the final descent is probably not his most likely option but I still think there’s a handful of ways he could win.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I think the other thing to remember is that Mojoric is not necessarily going to hang on with the best climbers every year. obviously if he's gapped he can catch back on, but then Mohoric becomes just another opponent racing to line. And then if does another monster descent to get such a gap, the dynamic in the chasing group could go differently.
So I don't it would be worth it for him or the team to waste time and energy trying to make sure he could win in a exact repeat scenario.

I think the hard cipressa may have hurt him in the sense nobody was able to work with him. If he and another guy or two got away he’d have a fair chance of a sprint finish win even against the usual names. Instead they were only able to latch on and keep everyone else in tow, the worst of both worlds. Still probably not his ideal parcours though.
Yeah, but without the hard pace on the Cipressa his team wouldn't have been in such a good postition on the Poggio, on the Cipressa it took them a bit of time to catch up with Pogacar on the front and a full bunch going into the Poggio would have been even more hectic.
I think if Pogacar wants to ggive MSR another go he needs more big engines and less climbers on his teams, guys like Bjerg and Laengen who can keep the team near the front and drive the train into the Poggio.

I think the other thing to remember is that Mojoric is not necessarily going to hang on with the best climbers every year. obviously if he's gapped he can catch back on, but then Mohoric becomes just another opponent racing to line. And then if does another monster descent to get such a gap, the dynamic in the chasing group could go differently.
So I don't it would be worth it for him or the team to waste time and energy trying to make sure he could win in a exact repeat scenario.

He might also be able to hold on without having the energy to go on a full-on attack in the descent, which appeared to be the case last year, unless the team wanted him to ride for Colbrelli. I was quite surprised when he didn't give it a go then, especially since he was still allowed to supertuck at the time.

He might also be able to hold on without having the energy to go on a full-on attack in the descent
That's a very underrated part of a descent attack, I believe.
For instance, Biniam Girmay talked about being on the very limit at the top of the Poggio and not being able to sprint out of every corner during the descent.

For all we know, Mohoric might have saved himself a bit during the Poggio, only following wheels and pacing himself as good as he could. The acceleration before the top of the Poggio suggests he still had some energy in the tank while other looked gassed (WVA for instance). That's why I disagree with people saying he won only because he took more risks than the others. Risks are only a part of the story, you still need incredible legs to do what he did.

I'm not sure Pogacar will ever win Sanremo, but he will have more chances in the future. He'll have time to adjust to this race and pick some better places to attack. He might have another teammate with him on top of the Poggio and use different tactics. Luck will be crucial too, it always is in Sanremo.

Exactly. Now that Mohoric won San Remo, he probably lost and loses this maximum hunger, this obsession, for this race.

Just like Colbrelli, he now discovers what great feeling it is to have won a Monument. Now, Mohoric will want to repeat this, and win other Monuments.

For Pogacar, this could mean that Mohoric is gone as a main rival for San Remo. The race, however, can be such a lottery, so unpredictable, that there will arrive other contenders…

Pidcock teaching Pogacar:
“Seeing him and how he was riding, he doesn’t fully understand where the key points are yet, which is completely understandable. He’s never ridden these races yet,” Pidcock said.

“It shows it’s his first race because the positioning is just as important as the legs. He clearly had good legs. I heard on the radio twice he was coming across the gap. But when you have to position for climb, it’s not necessarily at the bottom, it’s five kilometres before. Ben didn’t have good legs but we were first into Ten Houte, and we took race on - that’s just as important as legs.

“Also, when you have a bunch full of massive guy, you’ve got to get your elbows out a bit, or go under them. Once he gets grasp of that, there’s no reason why won’t be in the front group.”

More:

Pidcock teaching Pogacar:
Seeing him and how he was riding, he doesn’t fully understand where the key points are yet, which is completely understandable. He’s never ridden these races yet,” Pidcock said.

“It shows it’s his first race because the positioning is just as important as the legs. He clearly had good legs. I heard on the radio twice he was coming across the gap. But when you have to position for climb, it’s not necessarily at the bottom, it’s five kilometres before. Ben didn’t have good legs but we were first into Ten Houte, and we took race on - that’s just as important as legs.

“Also, when you have a bunch full of massive guy, you’ve got to get your elbows out a bit, or go under them. Once he gets grasp of that, there’s no reason why won’t be in the front group.”

More:

I am glad that Tadej is a nice person.

If Tadej had the character of Lance, then Pidcock now would move to his „black list“: Pidcock would get the hate of Lance for the next 15 years…

He met with his long time mentor Allan Peiper before the race

FPHCuGUXsAs96bR

FPHCuGVXoAQ61qb

FPHCuGWXsAYjVsY

Results this year: 1->1->1->5->10

Pogi's form in terminal decline. Soon he won't be able to win races against kids from my block.
All UAE can hope for is him being good enough to carry bidons for FreeAlmeida at the Giro.
One important piece of info is missing here. Where do you live, more precisely, which kids are living on your block? Do you live in the vicinity of Herentals?

Just gotta win these races alá Nibali when they are there. Should be doable since hes a better Nibali in just about every aspect in cycling
He's stronger than Nibali in almost everything but downhill, I agree, but Nibali was "assassino", he had that killer instinct, he often won despite not being the strongest. That's something I didn't saw with Pogacar, at least yet. He's winning at brute strength, and I'm afraid that won't be enough in these type of races.

He's stronger than Nibali in almost everything but downhill, I agree, but Nibali was "assassino", he had that killer instinct, he often won despite not being the strongest. That's something I didn't saw with Pogacar, at least yet. He's winning at brute strength, and I'm afraid that won't be enough in these type of races.
Yeah, Pogacar doesn’t have to be sneaky about it. He’ll come up to you during the day and rob you while announcing before hand and during he is doing it and there is nothing you can do. While having a dominating rider is boring, I’d love for him to win GTs, week stage races, monuments, and classics like he is showing it can still be done.

Yup, that's true. It's not that he needed his killer instinct often, he's usually just too good. Maybe as time goes by he'll develop it for his older years (when he's not that good anymore).

Yeah, Pogacar doesn’t have to be sneaky about it. He’ll come up to you during the day and rob you while announcing before hand and during he is doing it and there is nothing you can do. While having a dominating rider is boring, I’d love for him to win GTs, week stage races, monuments, and classics like he is showing it can still be done.
I wouldn’t say dominating riders are boring though. Think about the riders everyone gets excited about and talks about the most, they’re all the dominant ones. I do agree that suffocating races can be boring but I still think that’s the minority of races.

He is human in hilly races with Van Aert or Van Der Poel in them. They kinda neutralize his attacks because they are just as powerful if not better when it comes to short efforts.
He hasn't focussed on the cobbled races, so we don't know. But in stage races and gts he is on another planet and he can compete with them in the classics (of which he has won Liege and Lombardia). Sunday will be interesting. I expect him to be there or about there and, if he has put Weds's lesson to good use and is at the front in the critical moments, then he has a real chance.

Last edited: