• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tadej Pogačar discussion thread

Page 183 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oddly enough, I was a Pogi fan and thought he was massively underrated going into the 2020 Tour and cheered for him right until the final time trial, but that shocking event, and seeing Roglic desperately riding with his helmet askew and then devastated sitting on the ground, only to congratulate Pogi shortly after with true warmth, turned me into a Roglic fan. And now I am still a Roglic fan, but this Tour also turned me back into a Pogi fan.

From a fan standpoint I don’t like when one rider or the other wins all the time and dominates. If they win all the time I think that’s fine as long as it’s close. On the other hand dominate and win everything, especially if they do it majority by theirselves with a weaker team. He’s still extremely young, as fans we just have to hope he doesn’t start regressing earlier. With a team like TJV and the right preparation he could do a double and maybe even the triple or come close. If he stays at a high level into his late 30s like Thomas of Valverde he can rack up many results.

Oddly enough, I was a Pogi fan and thought he was massively underrated going into the 2020 Tour and cheered for him right until the final time trial, but that shocking event, and seeing Roglic desperately riding with his helmet askew and then devastated sitting on the ground, only to congratulate Pogi shortly after with true warmth, turned me into a Roglic fan. And now I am still a Roglic fan, but this Tour also turned me back into a Pogi fan.

As Slovenian I always liked them both a lot. In 2020 I was shellshocked after final ITT but I never held it against Pogi. Everybody wants to win and part of Slovenian general public was like Pogi stole something from Rogla and not Rogla losing it on final step.

Even this year some Slovenian "cycling fans" were rooting for Vinge after it became evident that Rogla won't be winning this tour.

The thing is, Pogi will be number 1 in UAE for years to come (bare some shocking injury or something) but Rogla was probably renegaded to number 3 in TJV and will most likely never had an opportunity to go for TDF glory (if Vingo starts).

I hope Pogi comes back stronger and challenge mighty TJV. He showed class this year and in defeat you get to know a true champion.

Last edited:
Just read in local media. Pogačar said there were other mistakes from his side involved. And he learned a lot of things. But stage 11 is what he singled out. As being too motivated. The rest of the Tour he says he still enjoyed. And like on how he raced. And i guess not much to say about that.

Likely a great TDF 2023 edition ahead.

• Love
Reactions: Sandisfan
Whereas next year i assume he will want to try for revenge at the Tour, I can see Pog targetting the Giro in a couple of years so i cannot see it being a mano a mano duel year on year for the foreseeable. Also there will be other young (new) pretenders who will throw spanners in the works etc

Whereas next year i assume he will want to try for revenge at the Tour, I can see Pog targetting the Giro in a couple of years so i cannot see it being a mano a mano duel year on year for the foreseeable. Also there will be other young (new) pretenders who will throw spanners in the works etc

Yes however I don't see a lot of new potential for long mountain climbing.
Some mention Remco but he hasn't yet proved anything for the grueling high climbs.

I hope Pogacar doesn't get obsessed with this lost and gets transformed to a GT bot with a UAE train. Really enjoy his season this year and would like much more to see him try to win other races (Flanders, Roubaix, Vuelta and Giro) than a absolute focus on the Tour. The reason the Tour was so entertaining this year was because of his different approach to racing and lack of tactical discipline.

I would never have imagined that Pogi would not win this 2022 Tour. I was sure he would win it 100%.

Average speed of this Tour was 42,106 km/h. It was the fastest Tour of all time. Schachmann explained they had tailwind all Tour long.

Vingegaard was stronger than Pogi, in climbing and timetrial. That is a huge surprise. No one knows how this could happen. And no one knows what this means for the future.

I hope Bernal recovers completely and quickly. Then, 2023, at the Tour, we have the big four for GC (Pogi, Vinge, Primoz and Bernal), and the big three for Green (WVA, MVDP, Girmay).

Tadej now will go to the Vuelta, and try to win it for the first time. If Primoz has two broken vertebrae, Pogi should have good chances of winning this 2022 Vuelta. His strongest opponents will certainly be Giro winners Hindley and Carapaz, plus Haig and almost everyone from Bahrain.

I could imagine UAE sends Ayuso to the 2022 Vuelta for 10 or 14 stages. UAE will need him now, earlier than expected. Ayuso‘s development as a rider has gone really well in recent times. Some even consider him the new/next Pogacar… :)

I hope Pogacar doesn't get obsessed with this lost and gets transformed to a GT bot with a UAE train. Really enjoy his season this year and would like much more to see him try to win other races (Flanders, Roubaix, Vuelta and Giro) than a absolute focus on the Tour. The reason the Tour was so entertaining this year was because of his different approach to racing and lack of tactical discipline.
No, he already said he wont change his way of riding. It works for him and it is who he is.

Yes however I don't see a lot of new potential for long mountain climbing.
Some mention Remco but he hasn't yet proved anything for the grueling high climbs.

I agree. Remco is nowhere near to challenge top 10 GC riders on cat 1 climbs. He has a diesel engine for long climbs up to 5 degres (+/- 1) but as soon things get up to 10 degres he is nowhere to be seen.

Despite hype around Remco I think we will have to look at new young GC challenger elsewhere.

Reactions: Lorzenz08
Vingegaard was stronger than Pogi, in climbing and timetrial. That is a huge surprise. No one knows how this could happen. And no one knows what this means for the future.

Well, calling it a "huge surprise" is abit much. Cycling can be hard to predict, but I would almost say it could be expected, if you read the signs in the 21 tour. Better on the long climb (ventoux) faster on the last TT. As a fan you can always try to explain away why things happen, but the signs where definitely there.

• Wow
He doesn't want to go home so he's hanging out with the girls

FYgPIP9WYAA3Dnu

Seeing Pog loose 2022 TdF against even better robotic Vinge and seeing how JV team lost interest in Roglič and are celebrating huge success without even mentioning him there is one good thing in it. Slovenians will start to root for Pogačar a lot more and against JV team.

Why do you need this "story"? you made it up yourself, so you must need it in some way. Does it make something better?

Latest posts