• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tadej Pogačar discussion thread

Page 184 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Support for Roglič? Like thanking him again and again. Holding up his number on the final stage? What are they going to do? He crashed and did an amazing job anyway, sending him home when he couldn't take it anymore, what else could they do?

The nonsense going on the the Slovenian press is not making anything but drama, guess what the press thrives on?
It's not the press. It's people.
JV lost fans. Roglič and Pog got more of them. Many die hard Rog fans finally excepted Pog also.

With his girlfriend/fiancee

FYgrMTpXoAINBWX

FYgrMVNXwAIjhO6

I hope Pogacar doesn't get obsessed with this lost and gets transformed to a GT bot with a UAE train. Really enjoy his season this year and would like much more to see him try to win other races (Flanders, Roubaix, Vuelta and Giro) than a absolute focus on the Tour. The reason the Tour was so entertaining this year was because of his different approach to racing and lack of tactical discipline.

Me to. But Vinge and JV are so strong right now that if he wants to win another TDF (and he wants) he will most likely have to sacrifice some other goals.

This means less exposure on some classics and also changed racing tactict to preserve energy at all cost.

TJV won't sleep and I also doubt we will see much (if any) of top shape Vinge until 2023 TDF. Pogi will probably have to do the same and come to 2023 edition with best possible UAE team and individual shape.

Reckless attacking and flamboyant ride can cost him 2023 edition once again even if he will be in better shape than Vinge as Jumbo train will control each and every stage.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Bit curious as to why Pog wouldn't do the Vuelta. Maybe his indeed that tired or if it's just to preserve him for future seasons.

If Pog is that tired imagine how bad all the guys that will double up will be at the Vuelta.

To prepare for the World Championships, where he has an outsider chance this year and to defend his Lombardia title seem like the most likely explanations.

I really think Pogacar should do the Vuelta.

What better time to emulate Eddy Merckx than a year in which he hasn't won the TdF? I think at this stage of his career, a Vuelta title is worth way more than another Lombardia (or a roll of the dice for an unlikely world championship title).

As a selfish fan I agree that I would enjoy it way more to watch him at the Vuelta than anything else for the rest of the year.

But I've got to say this was a grueling TdF. Everyone said it, this one was really special as it was pedal to the metal from start to finish. More than any other year.
So probably Pogie wants to take some time to recover.

• Wow
I really think Pogacar should do the Vuelta.

What better time to emulate Eddy Merckx than a year in which he hasn't won the TdF? I think at this stage of his career, a Vuelta title is worth way more than another Lombardia (or a roll of the dice for an unlikely world championship title).

I read that is not completely impossible but just unlikely at the moment and they will make decision in following meeting. Since he is chilling in Tour de femme I guess he won't do Vuelta.

I dont think it rules Pogi out of the Vuelta by being at the Tour for 1 week more with his GF

I did not say it is ruled out. But UAE management says it is unlikely and they will decide after the team meeting. I just presumed that he would start preparation proceedures as soon as possible if him and the team would want to do Vuelta.

There are some other posts in this forum that he won't do Vuelta but I could not find that kind of source.

I don't think he gains much from the Vuelta except 3 weeks of hard racing. As noted, it was hot as hell this TdF, he gave it his all on the toughest stages and right now probably hates his bike...yes, he could win, but IMO I think he has a really good shot at the Worlds this year. I haven't seen the latest course details but it looks like something he could win...of course, I still don't think there are a lot of courses he couldn't win at...but can you imagine the rainbow jersey fighting for yellow at the TdF?

I don't care that much about him missing the Vuelta itself, although it would definitely be nice to finally see him race another GT again, by 2023 it'll be 4 years. The more annoying aspect for me is that the alternatives aren't really appealing, the second half of the season just screams a bit meh.
Sure, Lombardia and Worlds are nice targets but I can't really be bothered about Plouay or Canada, especially as I assume that like last season he'll just ride them as training blocks.

And why is he even doing San Sebastian? I thought he wanted to watch his GF in the Vosgues?

I don't care that much about him missing the Vuelta itself, although it would definitely be nice to finally see him race another GT again, by 2023 it'll be 4 years. The more annoying aspect for me is that the alternatives aren't really appealing, the second half of the season just screams a bit meh.
Sure, Lombardia and Worlds are nice targets but I can't really be bothered about Plouay or Canada, especially as I assume that like last season he'll just ride them as training blocks.

And why is he even doing San Sebastian? I thought he wanted to watch his GF in the Vosgues?
I have the same annoyance with the 2nd half of the season. It's Vuelta or nothing for too many riders. I also belive that adding good one day races to the calendar there should be the solution. This should include some really mountanious ones IMO.

Meanwhile, I wonder if for Pog it's mainly mental or physical fatigue.

TRENDING THREADS