• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tadej Pogačar discussion thread

Page 279 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
So wrist is healing good and Pogi just got a green light to train outdoors without any need to hold back. Bracelet will be used for now as a precautionary step. Some physiotherapy is still needed but the injury doesn't affect him anymore when training.
He has 3 weeks to prepare the Tour, 3 weeks to be ready to beat Vingegaard. Don't know if he has enough time to obtain the shape of his life.

Reactions: Sandisfan
He has 3 weeks to prepare the Tour, 3 weeks to be ready to beat Vingegaard. Don't know if he has enough time to obtain the shape of his life.

It's Pogi. He could train indoor and likely got his weight under control. All in all he can still end up deciding Tour 2023 in the first week. As i don't believe he will wait for Jonas and some hill to see where he is at. We'll see.

He was in the same shape of last year's spring. Actually, carpegna was a little better.
I don't know how we can make this claim? Do we have objective data? I think logically - logically Pog is still only 24 years old. I know riders mature at different rates for many variables, but unless Pogacar had interrupted prep, he should have a higher physiological level at 24 than he did at 23. So, in spring of this season he logically had to be in better shape - and his results in spring seemed to confirm this. Now, after his crash I am not so certain.

So four spots in the Tour team are set.

Pogi, Yates, Majka and Soler.

For the other four spots eight riders are in contention. Split into two groups, from each group two will be selected by the June 18.

Group 1: Grossschartner, Wellens and Bennett.
Group 2: Trentin, Bax, Bjerg, Laengen and Novak.
If that's the case, from the first group, I think Grosschartner and Wellens goes. Well, it would depend on whether Wellens is able to recover from his injury. From the second group, Bjerg and Trentin are locks, imo. They are showing fantastic form in the Dauphine.

If Wellens is not able to recover enough for the Tour, I think Laengen should go for additional firepower on the flat.

I don't know how we can make this claim? Do we have objective data? I think logically - logically Pog is still only 24 years old. I know riders mature at different rates for many variables, but unless Pogacar had interrupted prep, he should have a higher physiological level at 24 than he did at 23. So, in spring of this season he logically had to be in better shape - and his results in spring seemed to confirm this. Now, after his crash I am not so certain.

In a way I tend to agree with @Andy schleck that his climbing on longer ascents seems to have plateaued since 2020. OTOH he's progressed significantly in one-day races since then.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Without the crash I thought Pog could surprise many that are writing him off at the Tour. The guy blew himself up showboating and responding to two very strong and almost equal riders, had majority of his team gone and performing sporadically, and had the Covid rumors. With the crash it’s hard to say but if able to put weight on his hand he should finish on the podium.

TRENDING THREADS