• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tadej Pogačar discussion thread

Page 588 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apparently some skiers did stunts over Pog

GOBaV1EXoAAO8v9

Google it. 1998 Tdf stage 15. 🙂. I am sure you will find it in YouTube.
My word. Thanks for the history.

Back when real men rode bikes, using nothing but EPO and non aero bikes and wheels with wide handlebars, attacking the alpine descents in the pissing rain and freezing cold with no helmets?!?, rim brakes and the equivilent of a garbage bag to keep warm.

Insane! o_O:eek::flushed::tearsofjoy:

Now that Teddy is on the verge of winning his second GT on the first try, is there anyone out there that did it (besides
Eddy who won his first Tour and Vuelta, but only his 2nd Giro)?

Hinault did it. His worst GT result was 2nd.

But that must be it since Merckx didn't do it. Anquetil, Gimondi, Nibali, Contador and Froome certainly didn't do it, and that's all the riders who won all the Grand Tours.

Reactions: pihi42
"He can't handle the high altitude". Sometimes I don't know if we are talking about Pogacar or if we are talking about Valverde
It is noteworthy that Pogacar's nemesis mountain Col de la Loze tops out at 2,304 metres. Yesterday he crushed everyone with ease climbing to 2,385 metres. But this is "not that high" according to some here :rolleyes: . Does anyone now seriously believe that Pogacar would have suffered had the weather not intervened and cut Stelvio from tomorrow?

Pretty sure, if they were riding this race, that Felix Gall and Simon Yates (who finished 2nd and 3rd behind Vingegaard on the '23 TdF Loze stage) would have met a similar fate as Thomas and Martinez yesterday.

Last edited:
It is noteworthy that Pogacar's nemesis mountain Col de la Loze tops out at 2,304 metres. Yesterday he crushed everyone with ease climbing to 2,385 metres. But this is "not that high" according to some here :rolleyes: . Does anyone now seriously believe that Pogacar would have suffered had the weather not intervened and cut Stelvio from tomorrow?

Pretty sure if they were riding this race that Felix Gall and Simon Yates (who finished 2nd and 3rd behind Vingegaard on the '23 TdF Loze stage) would have met a similar fate as Thomas and Martinez yesterday.
Pogacar lost time on the final steep section, clearly he can't do it above 2200m.

To be serious, there is more to altitude then just finish altitude, and I think effects get bigger the more intense the effort is and the less you go back to low altitude in the valley.

Reactions: Cookster15
He didn't lose 7 minutes becuase of Loze. If we had a mountain stage at sea level, he would still lose at least 5 minutes. He was destroyed mentally due to the TT. Altitude didn't play any role.
Evidence doesn't suggest that:

Pogacar lost 15 secs to Roglic in 2020 TdF MTF on Loze.
Blew on Granon in 2022 TdF (2,400metres).
Blew completely on Loze in 2023 TdF - the day after a huge effort in the TT.

I am sure you can see why many wondered about Pog at altitude before yesterday. In 23 TdF he rode a strong TT by his standards, it was just that Vingegard was on another planet and yet again we forget the wrist injury must have reduced the volume of training he could do which always hurts recovery after big efforts like that TT. And I am not sure Pog is so mentally fragile he would let that get to him on Loze and throw in the towel?

Last edited:
Great performance on stage 15, a race defining one. Likely being reassuring too, that training is on the right track. Weight under control, no loss of power in ITT, on both types of terrain, top tier level climbing, punch still seem to be there. Looking forward to the Tour. As for remainder of the Giro, it's still not in the bag, so there is that, beyond that what now. A dilemma that will likely already get answered tomorrow. Pogi likely up for some more.

Evidence doesn't suggest that: those

Pogacar lost 15 secs to Roglic in 2020 TdF MTF on Loze.
Blew on Granon in 2022 TdF (2,400metres).
Blew completely on Loze in 2023 TdF - the day after a huge effort in the TT.

I am sure you can see why many wondered about Pog at altitude before yesterday. In 23 TdF he rode a strong TT by his standards, it was just that Vingegard was on another planet and yet again we forget the wrist injury must have reduced the volume of training he could do which always hurts recovery after big efforts like that TT. And I am not sure Pog is so mentally fragile he would let that get to him on Loze and throw in the towel?
Livigno showed Pog doesn't have problems with altitude, but was in compromising situations those other times AND Vingo was aerobically more efficient. I don't think he will be bothered by altitude per se.

Reactions: Salvarani