• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tadej Pogačar discussion thread

Page 36 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Cruelty of the sport. He wants to secure his future and signs a long term contract last year when he should have bet on himself.

He will be losing millions as he is worth 4 times his current salary.

By the time his contract expires, he may not command a million contract anymore.

It's the thing with young aspiring riders, just like Remco or Bernal, the teams want them to sign as far into the future as possible. And maybe at this age they are not thinking about the money so much.

Cruelty of the sport. He wants to secure his future and signs a long term contract last year when he should have bet on himself.

By the time his contract expires, he may not command a million contract anymore.

His contract will be renegotiated - UAE are one of the wealthier teams in the peleton so money will not be an issue - Having a strong climbing support team is over-rated - Give me 2 top level domestics with strong rouleurs and you have your team.

It's the thing with young aspiring riders, just like Remco or Bernal, the teams want them to sign as far into the future as possible. And maybe at this age they are not thinking about the money so much.

That is also some Agents that are eager to earn money right away.
They should have put an option for the rider to opt out.

Remco will have been paid nicely given that he has always been good. Another one is WvA. Jumbo will be a strong team having been locked their Star riders at a super cheap price. Sponsors will be coming in and they can still sign another GT contender and superdomestique to help WvA in the classics.

Names like Naesen, Benoot or Pedersen
As for mountains, maybe they can lure Kamna. But Sepp Kuss is expiring and for sure he will demand 500K minimum.

Reactions: Sandisfan
This was not like Bernal last year. Bernal won yes, but it was a bit lucky and the competition was not complete. This was total domination. I don't remeber when I last aw a performance like he did today. This is his 2nd GT. He has two podiums, one of that being a Tour win, 6 (!!) stage wins, 4 jerseys. And all that without having a strong team. Remco and Rogla might be unbeatable on shorter stage races, but when it comes to GTs, Tadej is the new superstar.

Well he didn't had much of a choice because no team would have paid him much more than Emirates did.
As for the future, he can always try to break his contract if he thinks that he isn't paid well enough or before that, ask for a raise.
But I wouldn't worry much about that because when you win the Tour there are other ways of getting money like in advertisements for example.

After this Tour win, he can do whatever he wants but I hope that he sticks to the plan and goes to the WC and classics. In the shape that he is in, he can get already a big one-day race under his bag something that would make his year even more incredible.

Reactions: sevenall
This was not like Bernal last year. Bernal won yes, but it was a bit lucky and the competition was not complete. This was total domination. I don't remeber when I last aw a performance like he did today. This is his 2nd GT. He has two podiums, one of that being a Tour win, 6 (!!) stage wins, 4 jerseys. And all that without having a strong team. Remco and Rogla might be unbeatable on shorter stage races, but when it comes to GTs, Tadej is the new superstar.

Exactly the point I was trying to make on the versus thread. This kid is something else and y'all better pray UAE does not acquire a strong team for Him because lawd knows there will be wailing and gnashing of teeth on this forum.

Imagine Him chilling behind a Ineos or TJV type team? Gosh!

Wow, Just Wow! I've seen a Lot in the last 70 years but this one ranks right up in the top 10 maybe top 5.
People think Evenepoel is the next Merckx. Well I give you Tadej! His talent seems limitless!
At 21 he has finished 3rd in the Vuelta, Won le Tour; taking Yellow, Polka Dot and White!
I'm Truly Impressed and that isn't easy when the first champion you saw was Anquetil!

Congratulations to Tadej Pogačar, for winning everything on the Tour 2020. Before the Tour started i wouldn't have believed this would be possible. Personally, my favorite was Roglič and i have a bit of better sweet feelings about it. Still, i am not all that important here and hats off.

Those stats are insane. He is outpacing every contemporary sprinter in terms of stage wins and he has to be ‘on’ every day.

Magnificent performance.

Exactly the point I was trying to make on the versus thread. This kid is something else and y'all better pray UAE does not acquire a strong team for Him because lawd knows there will be wailing and gnashing of teeth on this forum.

Imagine Him chilling behind a Ineos or TJV type team? Gosh!
He doesn't need a stronger team. He can just get behind the Jumbo team, like he did most of this Tour. They almost rode more to Pogacar's benefit than that of Roglic.

He needs a better team to support him! Hopefully UAE get their act together.
Let's wait how McNulty does at the Giro, he has the potential to become a great rider. Dombrowski could also be a climbing superdomestiqe, he was actually pretty constant (for his standarts) durning the last Giro. The team has lots of young prospects, but right now I'd throw some money at a rider like Jan Hirt and maybe even someone like Uran(?).

EiTYDSDXkAMuNBW

EiTYDSIX0AM3ga6

EiTYDSIXcAEaIJJ

EiTYDSMXsAEEuNj

Funny fact, this morning when I casually rode to the Planche, I crossed the whole team cars / vans from their hotel in Belfort going to the start of the stage. I'm not overly superstitious, but I guess this was quit a sign of a crazy day incoming haha!

Kristoff's not in the picture, is he? Find that kinda weird

He doesn't need a stronger team. He can just get behind the Jumbo team, like he did most of this Tour. They almost rode more to Pogacar's benefit than that of Roglic.

If it's a man o mano battle,he'll be fine everyday and twice on sundays. However don't forget both TJV and Sky have 2 GT winners on their books . All it takes is for one of these aforementioned teams to have both of their riders come into a GT in tip top form and He'll be at a disadvantage. He clearly can't chase two Riders on His own. So a team is needed in that Scenario.

If it's a man o mano battle,he'll be fine everyday and twice on sundays. However don't forget both TJV and Sky have 2 GT winners on their books . All it takes is for one of these aforementioned teams to have both of their riders come into a GT in tip top form and He'll be at a disadvantage. He clearly can't chase two Riders on His own. So a team is needed in that Scenario.
Well, i was mostly making fun of Jumbo's tactics, but if he has the possibility to take yellow on the last GC-deciding day, he doesn't need a great team.

TRENDING THREADS