• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tadej Pogačar discussion thread

Page 40 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Here's a fun little detail; take a look at his GT success.

Whatever GT he does next, people better keep an eye on him on stages 9 and 20!
Well it makes sense as day 9 is the longest period in a Grand Tour of consecutive stages so given what we are finding out of how outstanding his 3 week endurance seems to be it seems logical that he would be right up amongst the strongest at the end of each block of action.

Sep 22, 2020
Visit site
Reading some interviews and found 2 short, but completely opposite things TP said before saturday.

First one, for cycling news interview, that was for public: "
“Before the time trial, I thought I was going to finish second and I was happy with that result and the best young rider jersey. The night before, in the parking lot, I’d watched the mechanics prepare a special white bike for me to arrive on the Champs-Élysées.

I think the secret of my success is that I started without believing for a single moment that I could win. I was free spirit, I didn’t even have a power meter."

Second one, rtvlo.si, but here Colnago reported what TP sait to him in private:
"When I prepared bike for satuday`s TT, Tadej said to me: "If I go as fast as I think I will go, I wil make you happy and then you will have more work, you will have to change the colour"

On first look quite innocent, but maybe not. He almost guaranteed to Colnago, that he will beat his "friend" Roglič for a minute, How did he knew ?

• Love
Reactions: Sandisfan
Reading some interviews and found 2 short, but completely opposite things TP said before saturday.

“Before the time trial, I thought I was going to finish second and I was happy with that result and the best young rider jersey. The night before, in the parking lot, I’d watched the mechanics prepare a special white bike for me to arrive on the Champs-Élysées.

I think the secret of my success is that I started without believing for a single moment that I could win. I was free spirit, I didn’t even have a power meter."

"When I prepared bike for satuday`s TT, Tadej said to me: "If I go as fast as I think I will go, I wil make you happy and then you will have more work, you will have to change the colour"

On first look quite innocent, but maybe not. He almost guaranteed to Colnago, that he will beat his "friend" Roglič for a minute, How did he knew ?

Maybe he was just trying to stay humble instead of blowing his horn.

Sep 22, 2020
Visit site
Maybe he was just trying to stay humble instead of blowing his horn.
yeah, could be. Till about 17 or 18th stage it was alway in interviews "I want yellow". Then maybe PR department requested to tone it down (because od Roglic popularity, also good tactical move to pretend he will only defend) and then for 2 stage it was only "I am satisfied with second".

yeah, could be. Till about 17 or 18th stage it was alway in interviews "I want yellow". Then maybe PR department requested to tone it down (because od Roglic popularity, also good tactical move to pretend he will only defend) and then for 2 stage it was only "I am satisfied with second".
For stuff like that I don't blame him with how close he was to actually wearing yellow before the timetrial. Than the last part just giving a false sense of security to JV and Roglic that they had the win in the bag. That 17 or 18 stage could be when he decided to go all in on the timetrial, something JV and Roglic would not suspect and made them complacent. If he had said he was still racing for first before the timetrial they could have had more warning than before they saw how fast Pogacar was going. Hearing how fast he was going had to have taken a beating on Roglic mentally and cause him and JV to panic more. Who knows what Roglic was hearing in his ear.

Reactions: lecko
Watts the point? Also; not like power output couldn't be calculated after the fact and his follow car would be advising on speed anyway. One advantage of being the rider in front of the leader in a TT-you can convince them of your pace while holding back. If Primoz had to work hard to only lose 25 seconds on the flat he was totally screwed by the time he got to the hill. Tadej's out of the saddle climb clearly was an all-in effort he'd practiced well if UAE tacticians are believable.
Pure speculation on my part.
Allan Peiper has confirmed that they reconned the TT course 3-4 times before the TDF. They were happy enough to not worry about previewing the course on the morning of the TT like others.

Reactions: SHAD0W93

It's easier to conclude with only the first interview, he sounded and thought like one of us.
Second statement could be anything. A joke, self promotion, lie, extreme confidence, complete knowledge of himself and Roglič, anything.

Reactions: SHAD0W93
Allan Peiper has confirmed that they reconned the TT course 3-4 times before the TDF. They were happy enough to not worry about previewing the course on the morning of the TT like others.
I thought the reason to preview the course in the morning of the stage is to jog ur memory about the recon that u did a month back and also to get a inkling of the conditions on raceday like wind, temperature, road condition etc. or maybe in addition to being the best TTist and climber, now he also has a photographic memory and is an analytical genius as well.

I thought the reason to preview the course in the morning of the stage is to jog ur memory about the recon that u did a month back and also to get a inkling of the conditions on raceday like wind, temperature, road condition etc. or maybe in addition to being the best TTist and climber, now he also has a photographic memory and is an analytical genius as well.
At least he didn't pull an Ullrich.
Sounds like he put the work in before than relied on his team that went ahead of him to relay the weather information.

He didn't ride it on the day at least. They may have driven it though. Peiper also said that their recon rides included planning and practicing the bike change FWIW.

Maybe they felt not wasting effort was more important by stage 20? It's not like it was a prologue.

In this interview Allan Peiper also talks about their gearing choices which I found quite interesting: "As I said, I rode the course and I realised that a close ratio cassette was essential for the climb; but most cassettes have two or even three tooth jumps. However, we obtained a cassette meant for junior racing, 14-29 but in the middle it was 18 to 25 with just one tooth differences, that was coupled with 36/50 chainrings. On his time trial bike he rode a single 58 ring with an 11 to 29 cassette." They also practiced the bike switch a lot when they reconned the course.
Mikkel Bjerg also talked about how they set the road bike up similarly to the TT-bike (saddle position in relation to bottom bracket) so switching mid-stage wouldn't cause any problems.

Team UAE really making use of those marginal gains I guess. ;)

TRENDING THREADS