• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tadej Pogačar discussion thread

Page 51 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The final week does not really have any mountain stages where a weak team can be exploited which is the time of the race where an ambush attack is likely, if UAE are not targeted on the Tignes or Andorra stage then having a weak team might not be that significant.
Considering the time margins of recent GT victories, the number of significant time gaps caused by windy conditions or crashes and you can only conclude every stage has the opportunity to be significant in the last week. Tadej won the TdF with virtually no team support while free-lancing off of JV pace setting. His team will now be in the highlights if they don't control the race and he'll need help. That's a truism for any team that tactically has to defend a lead. Unleashing the younger, Plan B talent within a team at the very end of GTs has given us: Tao, Egan, Tadej.....

The final week does not really have any mountain stages where a weak team can be exploited which is the time of the race where an ambush attack is likely, if UAE are not targeted on the Tignes or Andorra stage then having a weak team might not be that significant.
I disagree on this. On the last week, any place with more than 1 hill is a place for an potential attack from others rider or teams.

Pogačar: “We hoped that the stage would go a little differently for us. We tried to control the race initially, but when Astana attacked they managed to build up a gap quickly, forcing Marc Hirschi and me to lead the chase, even though it was a little too late.
We then arrived at the most challenging point of the stage, and Brandon got detached. It was then up to me to fight for the podium and I had to push really deep for 40km.
It was one of the most demanding stages both mentally and physically that I have ever done in my career”.

EyocvCZWYAEkkRH

Looks like Brandon M may be the teammate Tadej needs to secure another GT win. Interesting to see how McNulty holds up to 3 weeks and if he can take some pressure off Pogi.
Now we know how McNulty holds up to less than 3 weeks. Too bad he had such a rough day. This also confirms the challenge Tadej will have as a serious favorite as he pointed out:

Pogačar: “We hoped that the stage would go a little differently for us. We tried to control the race initially, but when Astana attacked they managed to build up a gap quickly, forcing Marc Hirschi and me to lead the chase, even though it was a little too late.
We then arrived at the most challenging point of the stage, and Brandon got detached. It was then up to me to fight for the podium and I had to push really deep for 40km.
It was one of the most demanding stages both mentally and physically that I have ever done in my career”.

I think if there had been 15km more and another climb, he would have probably caught Roglič. He has such an insane engine, probably a bigger engine than Rogla, although I thing the older Slovenian is underrated in this regard as we saw today.
Well, that would have been a very different race. Moreover, I am not so sure it would have worked out that way regardless. TP had been in the wind more than PR, and had less willing participants to toe him to the line.

LOL about the insane engine.

TRENDING THREADS