• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tadej Pogačar discussion thread

Page 82 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Pog survives the heat with no losses. Next week will be much colder. He should target a stage on Portet or Luz Ardiden if his team chases down breakaways for once (but can they?).

He wasn't tested once. It's today that you really see just how "alone" Pogacar is at the top of this Tour. He looked effortless & expended zero energy shutting down the micro-attacks around him (even Uran "attacked"!).

The only danger (obviously notwithstanding crashes etc.) is actually the first part of stages & possible echelons, i.e. because his team really isn't that good. But in a straight fight, I think no one stands a chance. And the only thing stopping him from winning more stages is precisely the fact he can't get his team to ride over multiple cols with a high tempo to keep a breakaway within striking distance because they're not strong enough.

So he might have to rely on Ineos to do his groundwork at Luz Ardiden or Portet if he wants to win those.

Reactions: Sandisfan
You think Redhead's real first name is Redhead? :neutral:

Anyway, what a terrible week for Pogacar. If we use the rest days as week separators, this was the first time ever that he went a whole week in a Grand Tour without winning a stage. The decline has begun.
Yes, give me one reason to why I wouldn't think her first name is Redhead. Mine is Valv, and my surname is Piti, just like Valverde's dog.

The fact that he didn't drop the others looks somewhat promising for the suspense next year. However he always looked relaxed and easily won the sprint.

His team was strong today, especially Majka. I think they have a system with turns over the days.

I was surprised cause he tried hard a few times and couldn't drop them. I think he was the strongest but margins were small up there. As for the future Vingegaard may turn out to be one of Pogi's greatest rivals in years to come (this generation just keeps delivering, there are also guys like Bernal and Evenepoel).

Reactions: Sandisfan and KZD
The fact that he didn't drop the others looks somewhat promising for the suspense next year. However he always looked relaxed and easily won the sprint.

His team was strong today, especially Majka. I think they have a system with turns over the days.

I still think he is clearly the strongest in the peloton (even against Roglic) man to man (in W/kg). The only thing that was against him was his team strenght. This year they showed it's still a problem, but with his plus 5 min lead and being that better than others it's not visable as much. But with their rumoured new signings (Soler, Almeida...) and big budget, in the coming years they could match Ineos and Jumbo-Visma.
Without any misfortune in the coming years I can't see anyone beating him. When you try to find his weak points, you are in trouble. Only one I can think of is extreme heat and that is still unknown really.

So for next years TDF, competitors better hope for extreme heat for all 3 weeks, with no rainy and cold days, combined with Pogi losing some time in echalons. And then others maybe have some chance.:tearsofjoy:

Reactions: Sandisfan

TRENDING THREADS