• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tadej Pogačar discussion thread

Page 86 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 30, 2021
Visit site
Alan P. is such a positive person and I believe Tadej misses him very much. I really wish him to win his personal battle once and forewer.
-----------------------------------

I will only say what Tadej mentioned in the interview on the previous page. Work hard, rest harder. We don't need another talented guy to kill an already dead pheasant.

Anyway, I’m going to take a little break from that kind of (forum) cycling.
Stay healthy guys and see you ... :)

Reactions: Sandisfan
Reactions: Eeslliw
LMAO, he's amazing. Zero ****s given. Love it. He's going to smash the all time CQranking.com record. lol

Pogi could clear 5000 points with ease.

........and that's if he just dials it in in the Vuelta and does nothing in the Olympics road race

Let's not get too far ahead. The TdF is still not over, Tadej has to survive one more stage. Sir Dave Brailsford is preparing "expect the unexpected" strategy for today. All options are considered i.e. Carapaz and co scattering nails on the road, putting some extras into Pog's drinks etc...

Adding to his teams and the connections, Pogi has probably disrupt too many comforts to be really popular and, well, seen as believable. Sky/Anglo hegemony, South American flying angels factory and myth, Roglic/Jumbo fairly recent and yet to be totally fulfilled domination, expectation of other young sensations, and bits of nostalgia from older generation's kings.

That's just my feeling sometimes. On a different note I just realized Lampre is about to win the Tour twice now:D, remember those sprinting years, and years of random breakaways with Giro leftover squads

I'm confused he's not trying to win Olympic ITT, it's only one chance in 4 years. He should at least try to compete with Ganna.
I'm sure he wants to, but it's unfortunately not his call to make.

I want Roglic to win, or grab a medal, but don't think it's likely. Slovenia only has one spot and wants to back a rider who's coming back from an injury. Of course it's Roglic' last chance, but I don't think he really has one given how much the crashes have affected his performance.

It seems to be all politics.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
I'm sure he wants to, but it's unfortunately not his call to make.

I want Roglic to win, or grab a medal, but don't think it's likely. Slovenia only has one spot and wants to back a rider who's coming back from an injury. Of course it's Roglic' last chance, but I don't think he really has one given how much the crashes have affected his performance.

It seems to be all politics.
A lot of guesswork in your post… First - maybe Pogacar doesnt want to participate in the Olympic TT. Maybe it was his call and he left it to Primož considering the age difference and responsibility he would carry if he “wasted” his spot. Maybe they had a pre-agreed criterium for the spot (Basque TT for instance). And finally, we don’t know how much (if at all) injuries will affect Roglič’s performance. Not to mention they may have a deal where Primož would be working for Tadej in RR in exchange for TT spot.

The point is, we can’t call it politics because we don’t know ****…

Yeah, in the 90s they had the award and the competition but no "actual" jersey. However its anyway hard to figure out who really "wore" the jersey because leader of the classification were also often in yellow or in the polkadot jersey.

I'm bored at work so I counted the number of days where they "would have" worn the jersey and the suggestions so far were quite good:

Pogacar is currently at 16 days (12 last year, 4 this year) and counting.

Quintana: 22 days (10 in 2013, 11 in 2015)
Schleck: 27 days (6+7+14 in 2008-2010)
Ullrich: 52 days (!!!), (14+21+17 in 1996-1998)

So Pogacar definitely has some work to do if he wants to catch Ullrich. He is young enough to do it tho:sweatsmile:

Well, to update this from the beginning of this Tour, he's making big strides (although this year we mostly saw him in yellow). Overtook Quintana and Schleck and still has two eligible years to move ahead of Ullrich.

Quintana: 22 days (10 in 2013, 11 in 2015)
Schleck: 27 days (6+7+14 in 2008-2010)
Pogacar: 33 days (12+21 in 2020/21)
Ullrich: 52 days (14+21+17 in 1996-1998)

"seems to be" is what I said. That leaves room for different scenarios. There was plenty of guesswork involved, yes, too much - I'll give you that, but that it's a wasted spot is pretty much a given considering his injuries. (If the goal is a medal.) That's a safe assumption IMO
Well if you compare Pimož’s results on first TT in TDF he was 7th 45 seconds back while yesterday, Tadej was 8th one minute back so taking their latest TT result, Primož was better :)

That’s a bit of a joke but still, Olympic TT will come 4 weeks after the TT where he was already injured and not that bad at all. I’m not so sure his spot is wasted - and if you take a look at the betting odds, most bookies agree with me…

I guess the bad weather in the first week and the crashes of the others really helped him, but we won't know what he could have done if he had to. Very early he didn't have to go to his limit, didn't have to take any risks anymore. Now some people, especially from Jumbo, say he's not unbeatable, Vingegaard says he was able to drop him on one day... yes, but in the end Pogacar has 3! stage wins and the yellow jersey very safely.
With a stronger team (not that his team was weak, but imagine for instance Ganna, Moscon and Martinez working for him), more interested to control the breaks more, he could have gotten two more wins (Tignes and Grand-Bornard), not totally unimaginable...
I mean, who knows what will happen next year and at which level everyone is then, but at the moment I feel some people are not really seeing how dominant he was anymore, because there were two days where he wasn't dominating. Both days were really hot, though, and still I think that if it had been necessary he could have followed Vingegaard on Ventoux, and he could have done a bit better in the time trial yesterday; he wasn't soft-pedalling, but in some moments he was clearly relaxing.
Right now the only possibility of him not winning next year as well (apart from health problems) is a really hot Tour. Three weeks with 35+ degrees might bring him to his knees.

Kudos Tadej. That was an incredible performance.

Nibali scored 1520 points in the 2014 Tour. No one has scored as much in the Giro or Vuelta in CQ's history. How one with ease scores far more than that by just dialling it in (in the Vuelta) and without scoring at the OG, is quite difficult for me to see. So where does he score those points?

Took his GF to a fancy restaurant :kissingheart:

E6hQh-zWYAY9ZY_

TRENDING THREADS