• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tadej Pogačar discussion thread

Page 107 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
My guess on his 22 program

UAE Tour
Strade Bianche
Tirreno - Adriatico
Milano - Torino
Itzulia Basque
La Flèche Wallonne
Liège-Bastogne-Liège
Critérium du Dauphiné
Tour de France
La Vuelta a España
Giro Dell'Emilia
Tre Valli Varesine
Il Lombardia

(if not La Vuelta a España - I add below instead)
San Sebastian Klasikoa
Bretagne Classic
Cycliste de Québec
Cycliste de Montréal

What you think?

Reactions: Sandisfan
My guess on his 22 program

UAE Tour
Strade Bianche
Tirreno - Adriatico
Milano - Torino
Itzulia Basque
La Flèche Wallonne
Liège-Bastogne-Liège
Critérium du Dauphiné
Tour de France
La Vuelta a España
Giro Dell'Emilia
Tre Valli Varesine
Il Lombardia

(if not La Vuelta a España - I add below instead)
San Sebastian Klasikoa
Bretagne Classic
Cycliste de Québec
Cycliste de Montréal

What you think?
I think that's a very strange moment to ride from Milano to Turino.

I foresee mostly a copy paste of 2021 with Vuelta being more likely than not.

If he's as good as the 'experts' say he is, then why not Flanders/PR? He is meant to be this complete rider, so bring it on.
GC riders avoid PR like the plague because of the high risk to get injured at this important point of the season. I think Wiggings was the only TdF winner since LeMond to ride it (Nibali will become the next one this year) and he was already at a point in his career where he didn't even attempt the GTs anymore. Even injuries aside, if you really want to contest the cobbled classics, you kind of have to sacrifice the late March/April stage races like Catalunya or Basque country and most GT contenders want to use them to test their form.
I think he'll do it at some point as I reckon he's someone who wants to try everything but I'd be surprised if he does it soon, don't think it'll happen in 2022 and if he goes to the Giro in 2023 it's probably even less likely.

GC riders avoid PR like the plague because of the high risk to get injured at this important point of the season. I think Wiggings was the only TdF winner since LeMond to ride it (Nibali will become the next one this year) and he was already at a point in his career where he didn't even attempt the GTs anymore. Even injuries aside, if you really want to contest the cobbled classics, you kind of have to sacrifice the late March/April stage races like Catalunya or Basque country and most GT contenders want to use them to test their form.
I think he'll do it at some point as I reckon he's someone who wants to try everything but I'd be surprised if he does it soon, don't think it'll happen in 2022 and if he goes to the Giro in 2023 it's probably even less likely.

LeMond is still the latest reigning TdF champion to ride it, but Geraint Thomas crashed out of it in 2018 before he won the Tour.

LeMond is still the latest reigning TdF champion to ride it, but Geraint Thomas crashed out of it in 2018 before he won the Tour.
Well yeah, before . He wasn't a tour winner at that point, same for e.g. Riis, who rode it in 1991. Either way, pointless semantics, in short I can't think of a single GT winner since the 80s that was competing in Flanders and PR while being in his prime for GTs (apart from Thomas I guess haha).

Last edited:
Well yeah, before . He wasn't a tour winner at that point, same for e.g. Riis, who rode it in 1991. Either way, pointless semantics, in short I can't think of a single GT winner since the 80s that was competing in Flanders and PR while being in his prime for GTs.

I still think there's a difference between riding it five year before or after a Tour win and doing it in the same season. Neither Riis, Wiggins and next year Nibali were capable of winning the TdF in the years they rode it, but that obviously wasn't the case for Thomas. Though of course it's not completely comparable, because just like Riis in 1991, Thomas was probably not really thinking he was ever going to win the TdF, and the situation is obviously also different once you actually win it. But he still proved that it could be done, though he obviously had "enjoyed" the P-R experience beforehand.

I still think there's a difference between riding it five year before or after a Tour win and doing it in the same season. Neither Riis, Wiggins and next year Nibali were capable of winning the TdF in the years they rode it, but that obviously wasn't the case for Thomas. Though of course it's not completely comparable, because just like Riis in 1991, Thomas was probably not really thinking he was ever going to win the TdF, and the situation is obviously also different once you actually win it. But he still proved that it could be done, though he obviously had "enjoyed" the P-R experience beforehand.
Oh yeah, absolutely. And I agree it can be done in the same season just that it's unlikely , especially if targeted right from the start of the season. At the point of 2018 Paris Roubaix, Thomas best ever Grant Tour finish was 15th and he had won a single bigger one week stage race with PN in 2016. Meanwhile he had 3 top 10 finishes in Flanders and Roubaix in earlier seasons and he had won E3 while being on the podium of Gent-Wevelgem and Dwars door Vlaanderen. So competing in PR was more the plan than potentially winning the Tour at the beginning of the season.

Reactions: Samu Cuenca
I think that MSR is likely next year for Pogačar but there is no way that he will ride the Italian fall classics if he rides the Vuelta. However my guess is that he will only ride the Vuelta if he loses the Tour. He could also skip the National Championships this time to be a bit fresher for the Tour.

Last edited:
His program next season will probably be very similar to this year, maybe with Sanremo and Vuelta included.

He have sponsors who want him at UAE tour, he enjoy Strade and Tirreno is the natural follow, then Sanremo, and Basque Tour is nice prep for Flech and Liege.

He won't go to giro because he is scared of Masnada ( this may or may not be true)

His program next season will probably be very similar to this year, maybe with Sanremo and Vuelta included.

He have sponsors who want him at UAE tour, he enjoy Strade and Tirreno is the natural follow, then Sanremo, and Basque Tour is nice prep for Flech and Liege.

He won't go to giro because he is scared of Masnada ( this may or may not be true)

Well, we now know that it's easy to crack him, especially when a few longer high mountains are involved, so it shouldn't be too hard for Masnada.

TRENDING THREADS