• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tadej Pogačar discussion thread

Page 191 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Peak Sagan could've won here, sure. Anyone else no way, especially if a team races like France did last year.
He's talking like that would be the fitting last act to his serious career. It'd be insane to see that but this WC is likely to be another lottery.
Hey! Tadej now has one of those Brit Bros as a teammate. Wonder if they told Mr. Yates what his role will be next year since he's not attending the WC RR?
If he were he'd be the designated Magpie Deflector; probably. I'm joking.....

Teddy says it's almost impossible to drop MVP and WVA on this course. In this case winning the WC will be difficult for him: especially his sprinting experience against MVP isn't that good :p

I could see a situation where the three are in a leading group, Pog attacks and MVP and WVA are playing cards who's gonna catch him. In the same time Teddy riders into the sun(set) to win the Rainbow.

I feel like Pogacar never had a good tactical race. And, mostly, always won purely out of his superior fitness. And the WC race is probably the most tactical race of them all. That's why he never had a good WC road race result.

that and he doesn’t have the team. So he is more dependent on others to make the race the way for him to benefit tactically.

I feel like Pogacar never had a good tactical race. And, mostly, always won purely out of his superior fitness. And the WC race is probably the most tactical race of them all. That's why he never had a good WC road race result.

I don't remember what happened to him last year but in 2020 he was in support duty for Roglic, wasn't he? I think I remember him setting pace in one of the last climbs up the hill.

Reactions: Sandisfan
With no radio, a weaker team, and a parcours that's too easy for him it's always gonna be insanely hard.
How was this parcours too easy for him? This is the same guy who won Liège from a sprint from a small group. A guy who has won races with finishes on similar climbs. The guy who won in Canada a week ago? After Evenepoel, tied with maybe Van der Poel, he is the rider most likely to attack from far and finish solo. Pogacar has the tools and abilities to fight for the win here. This isn't the Vingegaard thread.

How was this parcours too easy for him? This is the same guy who won Liège from a sprint from a small group. A guy who has won races with finishes on similar climbs. The guy who won in Canada a week ago? After Evenepoel, tied with maybe Van der Poel, he is the rider most likely to attack from far and finish solo. Pogacar has the tools and abilities to fight for the win here. This isn't the Vingegaard thread.
He was hesitant like everyone. Also; he couldn't have farted near Evenpoel or anyone else for that matter without 10 guys telling you what he'd eaten for breakfast. The number of riders still in this with 10km to go was testimony to the relative tactics. Like every WC the conservatism favors the group and, hopefully the strongest and most deserving rider emerges from the field and wins. Valverde, Sagan, Mads, Julien were all deserving winners of similar situations where many favorites raced to not lose. At least this WC had the heroism of a long move to win.

He was hesitant like everyone. Also; he couldn't have farted near Evenpoel or anyone else for that matter without 10 guys telling you what he'd eaten for breakfast. The number of riders still in this with 10km to go was testimony to the relative tactics. Like every WC the conservatism favors the group and, hopefully the strongest and most deserving rider emerges from the field and wins. Valverde, Sagan, Mads, Julien were all deserving winners of similar situations where many favorites raced to not lose. At least this WC had the heroism of a long move to win.
All these guys specifically didn't win it on tactical ability, they pretty much either dropped the others clean off the wheel or were part of a gropu that did get chased and bossed the sprint.

When the race is on, you have got to go. It's as true for amateurs as it is for pros. It doesn't matter that so-and-so wasn't moving, when Remco moved, you move, period.

Reactions: Oldermanish
He didn't have the legs , but even if he had, there wasn't much more to do. Perhaps, stay closer to the front, as I think when the attack happened he was really far behind.
Besides, Slovenian team raced really strange today. What was the point of Primozic being in the BOTD? And why the hell do you mark Remco with Tratnik? Okay, that nearly gave them a silver, but still..

TRENDING THREADS