• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tadej Pogačar discussion thread

Page 193 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
UAE Tour - 1st (2 stages)
Strade Bianche 1st
T-A - 1st (2 stages)
Slovenia - 1st (2 stages)
Tour - 2nd (3 stages)
Montreal - 1st
Varesine - 1st
Lombardia - 1st

Not bad for a season that honestly could have been quite a lot better. Could've won MSR and Flanders, and he faced an incredibly Jumbo and Vingegaard on a route that could punish him (mostly self-inflicted on Galibier) and his weaker team.

Outstanding!

Strade Bianche 1st
T-A - 1st (2 stages)
Tour - 2nd (3 stages)
Montreal - 1st
Varesine - 1st
Lombardia - 1st

Not bad for a season that honestly could have been quite a lot better. Could've won MSR and Flanders, and he faced an incredibly Jumbo and Vingegaard on a route that could punish him (mostly self-inflicted on Galibier) and his weaker team.

Outstanding!
Best season that ever got 'saved' in Lombardia I think.

Strade Bianche 1st
T-A - 1st (2 stages)
Tour - 2nd (3 stages)
Montreal - 1st
Varesine - 1st
Lombardia - 1st

Outstanding!

The biggest possible improvement was Liege - unfortunately he withdrew from the race that was one of his goals. As for Flandres, at least the 2nd place was a lock but he f**ked it up at the end (MVP was probably too fast anyway) - still it was (together with Strade) his most impressive one-day race and 4th place doesn't reflect the carnage that he caused there. MSR was hard to win - Pogacar was in superb form but was marked by WVA and co, the climb wasn't hard enough and Mohoric was a daredevil.

The schedule this year, is probably the schedule he should have every year. They should not change it up anytime soon.

It is the perfect schedule for him to be able to race the whole spring. Get the rest/recovery that he needs after it and to start the necessary preparation for the Tour. Take some rest/recovery after the Tour and then start with some races building towards a peak for Il Lombardia.

The schedule lands him at round 50-55 race days every year, which isnt too much, but given that he always races to win and most of the races he takes part in having strong fields it makes the most sense to avoid burning out too soon.

One GT, the Tour, which is always very hard and racing most of the monuments except for PR is perfect. It maximizes his potential the best.

He could do the Giro and Vuelta double in a couple of years. Would be surprised if they did it anytime soon or have him race the Vuelta after a hard Tour, the way they have been raced in recent years.

His 2022 season is the second highest scoring season in the history of CQRanking (which began in 1999).

The number one season is of course his own from last year.

The kid is good.
Funnily enough I did the same check on Procyclingstats today.

There its the best since Jalabert's 1997. Slightly better than his own 2021, Gilbert's 2011 and Sagan's 2016.

So obviously an immense year that to some degree still feels incomplete to me (and I actually suspect to himself as well) due to the loss to Vingegaard at the TdF...

Awesome to repeat the win in Lombardia, amazing rider, amazing ride.

FekAWDdWYAEqSwg

The last rider to win more than 7 monuments was Sean Kelly who won his 9th and final monument 30 years ago in 1992.

A lot can change, he will continue to have plenty of competition in the hilly monuments from Evenepoel and Roglic plus Alaphillipe and others with WVA and MVDP principal obstacles to cobbled glory, MSR will forever be a lottery ticket where being the strongest often doesn’t pay out, but if he stays motivated and injury free I expect at least 6 monuments minimum when he retires.

His 2022 season is the second highest scoring season in the history of CQRanking (which began in 1999).

The number one season is of course his own from last year.

The kid is good.

The last two seasons he has accumulated 7054 points. That makes him the first rider to break the 7000 barrier for two consecutive seasons (calendar years, not rolling, I don't know about that).

Riders who have gotten more than 6000 points over two consecutive seasons:

Roglic (2019-2020): 6257
Valverde (2014-2015): 6128

And that's it.

The last two seasons he has accumulated 7054 points. That makes him the first rider to break the 7000 barrier for two consecutive seasons (calendar years, not rolling, I don't know about that).

Riders who have gotten more than 6000 points over two consecutive seasons:

Roglic (2019-2020): 6257
Valverde (2014-2015): 6128

And that's it.

Roglic 2020 was pretty crazy. First race that year was in June.

2nd Tour, winning LBL and Vuelta in little over two months is incredible.

A small thing that annoys me in hindsight is Roglic crashing in the 2020 Dauphine instead of cleaning up Lombardia.
Nah, he just shouldn't crash and would win Dauphine, Tour, LBL and Vuelta in two months :D. Annoying thing is crashing without doing anything wrong (mechanical error).

Back on Pogacar. Maybe Pogi will be the greatest classics rider and not GT? :D

In my opinion, his best performance was in RVV when he rode his tempo on the last hill and turned MvdP into tomato for a moment. My only hope is that losing Tour this year doesn't make him focus only on that and putting one day races a side.

TRENDING THREADS