• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tadej Pogačar discussion thread

Page 197 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I seriously doubt that. At least not in Belgium. Take a look at the footage in those tweets, compare that to what you saw this week in Mol, Gavere, Diegem... it looks like slow motion. You know what would happen with Pogacar in a "real" CX race? He would get dunked in the first corner, and get left in the dust by 3rd rate espoirs and get lapped before halfway. Nobody wants to see that, and even less people would pay for it. Maybe they would pay him more in the CX races in the USA, early season. But i seriously doubt any of the big CX organizers would pay him more than they'd pay Van der Poel or Van Aert.
I know Pog would be murdered in CX. But I think for a 1 time deal it could be very appealing to sponsors.

I know Pog would be murdered in CX. But I think for a 1 time deal it could be very appealing to sponsors.
No self-respecting organizer is going to ask him to race imho. I could see them paying him as VIP for the podium ceremony or the race start (handing over the medals, flowers, handling the startsignal...). He'd have to start all the way in the back to begin with, and if he doesn't he would would get trashed and it would be dangerous. No, i can't see it happening.

No self-respecting organizer is going to ask him to race imho. I could see them paying him as VIP for the podium ceremony or the race start (handing over the medals, flowers, handling the startsignal...). He'd have to start all the way in the back to begin with, and if he doesn't he would would get trashed and it would be dangerous. No, i can't see it happening.
Maybe they can do a celebrity relay. Pidcock gets Pog, MVDP gets Vingegaard and Wout gets Remco. 2 laps for the CX stars and every 3rd lap is the pure road guys.

Training with his new pals Adam Yates and Tim Wellens

FleWoPrXEAYH0ww

FleWoPjXwAATqcn

Team leader Allan Peiper returns to UAE Emirates after more than a year of absence. The Australian has responded positively to the explicit question of two-time Tour de France winner Tadej Pogacar to assist him in the sporting staff. For health reasons, Peiper distanced himself at the end of 2021, but now he is physically able to focus on the sporting event. Several sources have confirmed this to WielerFlits.

CORVOS_00031912-126-e1633327299547-1078x450.jpg

Which sponsors? I really do not see Pog's sponsors agreeing with that view. They put their money down to see Pog winning road races or to be specific Grand Tours and maybe some classics, not providing laughs for a small bunch of forum followers, it's rather like asking Merc F1 to enter a driver in a banger race just to make a few cyber warriors laugh.

Team leader Allan Peiper returns to UAE Emirates after more than a year of absence. The Australian has responded positively to the explicit question of two-time Tour de France winner Tadej Pogacar to assist him in the sporting staff. For health reasons, Peiper distanced himself at the end of 2021, but now he is physically able to focus on the sporting event. Several sources have confirmed this to WielerFlits.

CORVOS_00031912-126-e1633327299547-1078x450.jpg
Allan knows his stuff! will be good for Pog to have him there.

Which sponsors? I really do not see Pog's sponsors agreeing with that view. They put their money down to see Pog winning road races or to be specific Grand Tours and maybe some classics, not providing laughs for a small bunch of forum followers, it's rather like asking Merc F1 to enter a driver in a banger race just to make a few cyber warriors laugh.
I assume he was talking about the sponsors of CX races.

Rectification: the best on bike interview was in 2010. During the penultimate stage Gibo Simoni, riding his last ever race, had just fought this heart out to win the Cima Coppi in Il Giro (he came up short) on Passo di Gavia, coincidentally enough also the place where he won his first ever stage. After getting dropped on the descent to Ponte di Legno and eventually getting usurped by the peloton, a RAI moto came up driving alongside him. It was Paolo Savoldelli, his eternal rival, working as an in-race analyst/commentator. :sleepy:

Looks like a packed schedule in 2023 as well. In regards to Tour. I feel they should learn something from the last year and bring one of the GC capable riders along Pogi. To put Jonas under additional pressure. From tactics point of view i feel that Pieper can play a valuable role. If they take Vine. Then Pogi should check the position of his bike on the team car. And to act accordingly.

Reactions: acm and Sandisfan
Looks like a packed schedule in 2023 as well. In regards to Tour. I feel they should learn something from the last year and bring one of the GC capable riders along Pogi. To put Jonas under additional pressure. From tactics point of view i feel that Pieper can play a valuable role. If they take Vine. Then Pogi should check the position of his bike on the team car. And to act accordingly.

Oh Jeez.

TRENDING THREADS