• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tadej Pogačar discussion thread

Page 447 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
His sprint was impressive and he was close to winning it against at guys like Philipsen, Matthews and Pedersen. But his attacks were a bit disappointing for me. Surely impressive to be able to attack but we talk about Pogacar so the expectation is incredibly high. His first attack was followed by MVdP, Pidcock and Bettiol if I remember right and the other guys stayed close too. His second attack was very smart because he used a moment where Van der Poel needed some seconds to find a gap to follow. There Pogacar had his gap to the other riders and that was his chance but Van der Poel was able to close the gap and so was Pidcock and all the others in his slipstream. With a gap like this, even if small, Pogacar should have been able to win it. But he wasn't today. So his attacks where a little bit underwhelming for me and so it doesn't surprise that a pure sprinter was able to win it all.

Reactions: Sandisfan
His sprint was impressive and he was close to winning it against at guys like Philipsen, Matthews and Pedersen. But his attacks were a bit disappointing for me. Surely impressive to be able to attack but we talk about Pogacar so the expectation is incredibly high. His first attack was followed by MVdP, Pidcock and Bettiol if I remember right and the other guys stayed close too. His second attack was very smart because he used a moment where Van der Poel needed some seconds to find a gap to follow. There Pogacar had his gap to the other riders and that was his chance but Van der Poel was able to close the gap and so was Pidcock and all the others in his slipstream. With a gap like this, even if small, Pogacar should have been able to win it. But he wasn't today. So his attacks where a little bit underwhelming for me and so it doesn't surprise that a pure sprinter was able to win it all.
As Pog alluded to himself... the race just hadnt been very hard.

The weather was great today. Slight tailwind as well, which was probably the main thing that it went so fast despite it being "easy".

Reactions: Sandisfan
Pogacar: "Today was one of the easiest races ever."

If remco had said the same thing and finished third everyone would have ripped him a new one 🤣
Not really, since it would have been truthful and aligned with how most viewed it. Usually it is the other way around and only from a certain perspective when he talks. I think that is why people "rip him a new one".

Then a day later he usually goes "I might have been too rash right after crossing the finish line". It is entertaining though. It would have been boring, if everyone was smart.

Reactions: Cookster15
Weird. Cause MSR should be perfect for "him" or so I heard...
if by him you mean Evenepoel, then i think it was perfect for him, pre-covid. I think it would be mostly perfect for Pogacar in case "him" also raced MSR, because if they went free on Cipressa together, it would suit Pogacar first and foremost.

Stick meaning crying every time any time has doesn't worship at the altar?
Disappointing. I do see a lot of crying in the Big 6 topic, but primarily by people who can't seem to do basic comparisons.

I really don't think there are that many haters ;)
Just mocking the 1000w comments, nothing against Pog.

people, relax and enjoy, this year you will watch the first winner of the Giro-Tour after Pantani, sit back in the armchairs, open 2 beers, popcorn and enjoy, Pog, who you will watch in the coming period, is the best cyclist of all time
@mou Since you have access to Power profile from Pogacar, how many w/kg cam we expect from him on Tuesday in Vallter 2000? It wil a 30/32 min effort. Tell us about the numbers!

I would try the exact same plan again except for position into the cipressa better. If that means less pulling until closer to then, fine

We know pog can’t stay away on the decent. So it has to be up the poggio with fewer guys that can outsprint him to the finish
Uae management is like...🤬 idk they lost the race cause they didnt have polit and bjerg who could position the team to cipressa. Its unbelievable! If the Ds' are this bad imagine some of the coaches. Its understandable that the best rider in the world had been under coached.

Reactions: mou
Uae management is like...🤬 idk they lost the race cause they didnt have polit and bjerg who could position the team to cipressa. Its unbelievable! If the Ds' are this bad imagine some of the coaches. Its understandable that the best rider in the world had been under coached.
only Sola is at the elite level, that's why you're looking at this kind of Pog now, he's at a terrible level, never seen in the history of cycling, Vingo from Tour 2023 are Landa or Mas for Pog 2024

• Haha
Reactions: johnymax and yaf
Pog saying the tactics not the issue, more the fact they didn’t make it hard enough on the Cipressa just makes me expect them to do the exact same thing in 2025.
The tactics weren't the issue, it was the personnel that was tasked to carry out said tactics, so he is correct in that regard. They desperately need to bring Politt and preferably Bjerg too, away with Hirschi and Ulissi.

I reckon Arrieta will be of more value than Novak too as of next year. They could really use a Castroviejo type to keep the tempo high between Cipressa and Poggio.