• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tadej Pogačar discussion thread

Page 528 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I’m not going fishing for you. But he was more concerned about team managers acting against his source than any of you board sleuths
It was a rhetorical question, hinting that it proves nothing. I understand one who would be giving out such info would be concerned about his source, but then again, one who pretends to give out info, would also probably pretend to be concerned about his source.

MOD HAT ON

As you will see, I have been through the last couple of pages making large numbers of deletions of posts that are nothing but pointless rowing and vindictiveness.

I haven't applied any sanctions, not because I don't think they are deserved, but frankly because I don't have the time or inclination to try to sift through working out a scale of offence. But sanctions will follow where this becomes no more than trying to annoy or upset others with no attempt to make sensible respectful conversation and observation. That includes throwing around phrases about riders that are not established nicknames (and therefore are not a normalised way of referring to anyone) and lack the originality that once made them describable as jokes: they serve no purpose other than to cause irritation and will be treated as trolling.

I have left a few messages, maybe you feel that I should have cut more or fewer: perhaps so, but I don't think that future discussion will necessarily be hampered by that.

If you do not like what I have done, I can only suggest that you follow one of two courses of action:
A) send a message to @SHaines: if he tells me that he is concerned at how many complaints he has had I shall step down as moderator; or
B) ask yourself what you could have done to prevent it reaching this stage. Not what anyone else should have done, that is for them to ask.

I used to teach in primary schools: the level of silly bickering here has been beyond what I encountered there. Imagine what a teacher might have said to 8 year olds acting like this.

If you really want to use your leisure time winding people up and propagating and prolonging pointless spats, I suggest that you go down to the pub tonight and try out that hobby on the biggest, drunkest guys you see there.

If, on the other hand, you want to have civil discussion with others who are interested in cycling, stick around.

Now, I hear that Pogacar is favourite for a race this weekend: how do you see the tactics playing out in that?

Last edited:
Does Pogi never catch a cold? He seems to have no probelms to perform in clold / rainy conditions, and it does not to seem to affect him in the days following neither. Is this just favourabble genetics? (I guess people like Jan Ullrich would have been extremely happy to have just 50% of Pogi's resistance against cold/rainy weather).

Reactions: SHAD0W93
MOD HAT ON

As you will see, I have been through the last couple of pages making large numbers of deletions of posts that are nothing but pointless rowing and vindictiveness.

I haven't applied any sanctions, not because I don't think they are deserved, but frankly because I don't have the time or inclination to try to sift through working out a scale of offence. But sanctions will follow where this becomes no more than trying to annoy or upset others with no attempt to make sensible respectful conversation and observation. That includes throwing around phrases about riders that are not established nicknames (and therefore are not a normalised way of referring to anyone) and lack the originality that once made them describable as jokes: they serve no purpose other than to cause irritation and will be treated as trolling.

I have left a few messages, maybe you feel that I should have cut more or fewer: perhaps so, but I don't think that future discussion will necessarily be hampered by that.

If you do not like what I have done, I can only suggest that you follow one of two courses of action:
A) send a message to @SHaines: if he tells me that he is concerned at how many complaints he has had I shall step down as moderator; or
B) ask yourself what you could have done to prevent it reaching this stage. Not what anyone else should have done, that is for them to ask.

I used to teach in primary schools: the level of silly bickering here has been beyond what I encountered there. Imagine what a teacher might have said to 8 year olds acting like this.

If you really want to use your leisure time winding people up and propagating and prolonging pointless spats, I suggest that you go down to the pub tonight and try out that hobby on the biggest, drunkest guys you see there.

If, on the other hand, you want to have civil discussion with others who are interested in cycling, stick around.

Now, I hear that Pogacar is favourite for a race this weekend: how do you see the tactics playing out in that?
Pogacar is favourite? That's not what I've been reading. Otherwise, agreed on all points. You're doing a great job.

Does Pogi never catch a cold? He seems to have no probelms to perform in clold / rainy conditions, and it does not to seem to affect him in the days following neither. Is this just favourabble genetics? (I guess people like Jan Ullrich would have been extremely happy to have just 50% of Pogi's resistance against cold/rainy weather).
Good point. It might be favourabble genetics but against most pure climbers he has a relative higher fat % than many atleast or i (might be mistaken there) but he again in flandern vs those guys he does not and he still performs exceptionally in that weather.

Might it be to do with anything related duo to the conditions it becomes overall harder for everyone and he simply has a overall brilliant endurance motor might be this too or maby genetics as you say or a combination its however a interesting point cause thats a trend now would been nice to know why exactly indeed.

He had cold sores in last years TdF. But thats about it, I guess. I can’t even understand how ALL of them don’t catch cold after cycling in the rain at close to zero degrees, possibly in nothing bit arm warmers…

Pogi is really good in wet races and Mathieu has bonked before. But if I see what he did in the classics, going solo in his shirt and no gloves he also can handle the cold. It’s more about digesting the food in these circumstances.

Hope to see a good battle, a fighting Mathieu searching for his limits here.

And no crashes for the whole race.

Pogi is really good in wet races and Mathieu has bonked before. But if I see what he did in the classics, going solo in his shirt and no gloves he also can handle the cold. It’s more about digesting the food in these circumstances.

Hope to see a good battle, a fighting Mathieu searching for his limits here.

And no crashes for the whole race.
Indeed no crashes for the whole race.

Mathieu arent he very good in rain himself relative to others I certaintly have that impression. Ofc Glasgow comes to mind not very big sample size but I seem to have that perception atleast of him too.

Interview with Pogi:

Google translate:
"There is a 10-kilogram difference between us, 4,000 meters in height should make difference. We have to make it difficult, we have to dictate the rhythm. We will have to be fast on the slopes to take advantage of this 10-kilogram difference."

H4rKdk7AUeHAtaGuEPusKP-1200-80.jpg.webp

Pogi wore all the warm clothing during his recon today.

Agree this time I hope Pogacar and his team try to temper him not to ride like an idiot. Maybe his history and knowing he has the Giro in his legs could force him to pull his head in.
I see a parallel with MvdP there.. he also used to 'ride like an idiot', but as he got older, he got a lot smarter and learned to dose his efforts. Tadej is coming up to that age now... And they're friends. So I think your hope is not in vain.

(I probably know what you mean by 'like an idiot', but it sounds a bit harsh. And lets admit, it is fun watching guys that strong ride like that. Sure, it can cost 'em some pretty big wins, but without that mindset, would we have ever seen a 2019 AGR for example?)

I see a parallel with MvdP there.. he also used to 'ride like an idiot', but as he got older, he got a lot smarter and learned to dose his efforts. Tadej is coming up to that age now... And they're friends. So I think your hope is not in vain.

(I probably know what you mean by 'like an idiot', but it sounds a bit harsh. And lets admit, it is fun watching guys that strong ride like that. Sure, it can cost 'em some pretty big wins, but without that mindset, would we have ever seen a 2019 AGR for example?)
It was Tim’s label, but very apt so I borrowed it ;) . It’s definitely fun following riders of this calibre. But the thing for Pog is he can’t get ahead and of himself - first he needs to get through LBL unscathed and then the Giro preserving as much energy as possible. It won’t be easy for him to curtail his natural instincts to attack.

The other risk is with Vingegaard likely out he can’t underestimate the rivals at the Tour should he manage to win the Giro as expected. That would be a repeat of his errors of Granon in ‘22 - overconfidence.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan
It just makes no sense for Pogačar to lose 1‘40“ in a TT if he‘s in top condition. If that is him being „great“, then Vingegaard could have late stage cancer and still drop him on the Tourmalet because the difference between the two of them would be massive. If late career Contador dropped 1‘40“ to Froome in that TT that would have to mean Contador wasn‘t great, right?
I'm simply saying that if someone has an all time great performance, it's perfectly possible for someone else to be great and still lose. Last year MvdP was obviously phenomenal in every one day race he aimed for, yet in the Ronde he was dropped like a stone by Pogacar. Does it mean he was worse in the Ronde than in all those other races? No, he was still the same guy, riding in the same shape, having a great performance. Pogacar being even better doesn't change that.