• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tadej Pogačar discussion thread

Page 563 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Not sure he'd say anything if it was really the case. I've raced long enough to know that "oh man you're killing me" means "I'm good back here keep hammering".
Nonsense, he was on the limit, sorry. And I've probably raced just as long, if not longer unfortunately, because it shows I'm getting old.

In Thomas's own words (which totally confirm my initial thought on the matter and confute yours): "Thymen [Arensman] set a great pace and then I saw Honoré and Pogačar going for it, and I thought, I might as well just go. But jeepers, man, they were solid - he was kicking my head in."

Asked if they talked on their move - and some brief communication was visible in the TV images - Thomas said "I just told him I was quite tired, in a few less words." As for whether he was thinking about the win, he said "I was just thinking about holding his wheel."

From tactical point of view such move does protect you from crashes and the main rival was tired down. Still mostly likely such moves are all about entertaining the fans and to have fun on the bike. On how much it will cost Pogi in terms of Euros and fatigue. Looks like that is less relevant and not a part of some serious strategy.

As for my initial impression for this years GT strategy. Looks like they are prepared to sacrifice a bit of punch to try to do better on climbs.
Nah, the punch is there, it's just he had to attack from the bottom of San Vito and the whole world knew it. A GT isn't like a classic, not enough distance on a stage like that to soften everybody enough. Whereas yesterday he had to hold off the chasing sprint for over 2 k on the flat, again without the distance of MSR in the legs to break the chase. His punch is just fine.

Hes just doing goat things, just goat things so naturally hard to comprehend and make little sense indeed but so does winning GT's and podium MSR and winning flandern etc. Hes just having fun on the bike and suspect he will settle down i think soon enough.

3 week is the part he really needs to chill if he can as much as possible as theres where he will pay for it the most and drag in with him into the prep for the tour and the tour itself.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan
If he wants to do the double, he needs to be more mature. Of course he is incredible if we talk about entertainment but he seems to be the same little kid (since his 20's) who attacks every hill to fight his boredom.
I dont think that a 5min effort will be a issue for the rest of the season and the Giro. Its not like he fought 50km alone against a peloton. He will surely try again today and he is right to do so.

Where did he show according to you that he is much stronger this year? I haven't really seen that yet.
Strade for me was another level of display and Catalonya was also a epic showcase of strenght imo. But ofc hard to say with certainty indeed for me so clearly may be something which remains to be seen yet. But what riders say about him this year tells alot and i believed they have said it themself the team.

Reactions: Berniece
Not sure its wise to be making such efforts like today* when you are attempting the double but just noticed that Pog has dropped down to 165mm cranks. The reasoning is to improve his cadence, reduce the load on his leg muscles and improve aerodynamics. Marginal gains.
But the higher cadence will cost more from his aerobic system. I guess each racer needs to address their weakness and make changes to compensate. I guess if leg muscles were stronger relative to cardio then a longer crank might help.

He just values "having fun while doing your job" a lot higher than some other riders. Or he doesn't need to be as serious because he's so good. People here hate on riders who try to play on their strengths and don't waste energy for no apparent reason (Roglič,..) but now people also hate on riders that do something out of people expectations and imagination.

He's just in great form and bored to death in long "sprint" stages so he tries to entertain himself. Are you not entertained?

Last edited:
If he wants to do the double, he needs to be more mature. Of course he is incredible if we talk about entertainment but he seems to be the same little kid (since his 20's) who attacks every hill to fight his boredom.
Not to mention interfering with the sprinters' turf in a GT, which could decide next year's contract for some. You start to annoy colleagues that way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Sandisfan