• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tadej Pogačar discussion thread

Page 568 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
It must be hard being a Pog hater. I mean if you’d have to choose to hate one rider, from the satisfactory rate POV - to choose Pog is a really bad choice. And all you and @Berniece are left with is Merckx. The final frontier. The impenetrable fortress of greatness never to be conquered by another living soul… But guess what… Each year that passes by, the voices are louder. First they were a mere subtle whispers, hinting the possible similarity. Couple of years later, we are talking Pog vs Merckx on daily basis. This really isn’t going your way, that’s all I’m saying…
You have a point, sir.

And right as you post this... providing some actual perspective on it... they start attacking you instead. Board is in a sad state.

Of course Pogacar is nowhere near Merckx when we talk about GOAT status. Pogacar needs more big wins to be the number one. I think it all depends on Vingegaard. Pogacar with 5 Tours, 3 Giros and 1 Vuelta and more big classics (like the world championship and 5 or 6 monuments), he is the GOAT but I can't see him winning 5 Tours.
If Vingegaard and Pogacar stay the best like they have been the past 2-3 years. I mean if the gap keeps to be this big with the next riders in GT's, I can see him win 5 Tours. It'll just be easier for Vingegaard because it's his only goal, while Pogacar goes for a much more diverse palmares.

Reactions: snipeheem and Lui98
They got to the stage where the gap was 20 seconds with 4km to go. All they need to do is 4km working on the front then they get a stage win basically. I don't know why they didn't
Looking at the highlights at that point and until nearly 2km Movistar had 3 guys pretty much gumming up any group rotation. The road was narrow so it would've taken at least 3 guys faster and more dedicated than Plapp to make a dent in the gap and there weren't. Piccolo's attack had no chance, but was likely a diversion to a group pursuit as well.
No need for any GC guys to chase unless they were at risk from Luke Plapps's 29 second time gain. Better to rest for TT like folks ahead of me in the responses have said and not crash.