• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Pogačar as GOAT: already, never, or when?

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

As of June 2024, can Pogacar be considered GOAT?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
He is the best of modern cycling (since the 90's), he doesn't have the best palmares but he is on his way to get it. Somewhat, his heavy classics schedule is ruining his chances of grabbing more GT's (and the presence of Vingegaard of course).

Yes best since the 90's but not GOAT. But until Pog beats Vingegaard mano a mano in the Tour he has a fault in his armour. I hope Vingegaard can make a full recovery so we get to see another rematch.

He has a long way to go to become one of the GOATs (for that he needs to get a lot more big wins and maybe have a Giro-Tour), but as someone who started watching in 2011, I think he is the best cyclist I've ever seen (Vingegaard is better in GTs but nowhere in classics, MVDP nowhere in GTs etc.). If he wins the Giro tomorrow, this will be his 9th big win.
Vingegaard has been better in 2 GTS. Remains to be seen if those efforts will be repeated.
Meanwhile Pogacar finished off today looking seriously healthy and ready for appropriate rest. He ignored all the forumites cautioning a conservative Giro and still managed to get the job done without excess wear and tear.

Fos

Apr 11, 2024
Visit site
Yes best since the 90's but not GOAT. But until Pog beats Vingegaard mano a mano in the Tour he has a fault in his armour. I hope Vingegaard can make a full recovery so we get to see another rematch.
Unless there is a miraculous recovery this year we will not see a duel on equal terms, nor did it happen last year. So far the only time it has happened has been in 2022.

It is so hard to compare Pogacar to the greats of the past because the training, the equipment , nutrition, science is so much different now.....the speed of all the riders is so much better...so watts , output and speed are not enough to say he is so much better ...And the guys back in the day went to the pub rather than altitude

But Pog is genetically very gifted but does that make him a goat ?
I don't think so ...at least not yet

The goat doesn't just tear up a mountain in front of everyone The goat needs the narrative of over coming adversity. If one day Pog cannot win and then he comes back I might think he is a goat. For now he is a top superb cyclist in my book

It is so hard to compare Pogacar to the greats of the past because the training, the equipment , nutrition, science is so much different now.....the speed of all the riders is so much better...so watts , output and speed are not enough to say he is so much better ...And the guys back in the day went to the pub rather than altitude

But Pog is genetically very gifted but does that make him a goat ?
I don't think so ...at least not yet

The goat doesn't just tear up a mountain in front of everyone The goat needs the narrative of over coming adversity. If one day Pog cannot win and then he comes back I might think he is a goat. For now he is a top superb cyclist in my book
Thats moving the goal posts quite a lot and he has definitely overcome adversity. Lost and come back to win. Flipped the script.

Didnt see the stage but it popped all over instagram everywhere so i got the message lets say it like that haha..:

Saw Pellizarri had his best day of his career so far: https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/20...and-a-second-place-on-his-giro-ditalia-debut/

''Pellizzari recalled. My brother messaged me 'Find a way to get Pogačar's sunglasses' so I came into the tent and asked for them. He also gave me his maglia rosa. I wished him all the best – he's great, the best in history.''

Guy seemed more happy to get pogacars jersey than he would had he won, you dont see that in cycling what a moment

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgTTQ3CfE6Y&t=115s

Schachmann pre stage 9 youtube On when asked how good Tadej is - 1.45 into the video:
''Ive heard many ppl in cycling, who has been longer in cycling than me say they have never seen anything like him ever''

They all say it frequently now its bizzare that he already seem to be in the chair with Merckx at age 25.

Sean Kelly at eurosport too while watching a stage said that we would never see anyone like him ever again it ive lost count it seems everyone..So yeah that is certaintly the case from the peleton and the cycling community where they all seems to think it, I think ive lost count on how many active riders and former legends say the exact same, it says it all. Its just a very rare time to watch cycling in history and were incredible lucky no other way of saying it, truly special.

Last edited:
Btw, I found the interview on the podcast absolutely horrible. It was the first time I have listened to it and Thomas and the other guy (Luke Rowe?) have no idea how to include a guest into their conversation. It really didn't feel like Pogacar was comfortable talking to the two.
Properly nervous talking to a goat not knowing what to say. I guess most ppl cant speak goat language.

Give them some slack, they obv love Pog like everyone else, if that was the case they didnt try to do that on purpose.

Reactions: Poursuivant
Just came to say hi to the forum people and congrats with a awesome win. 3 GT, 6 monuments age 25 and the way he does it in this modern day cycling too, its hard to decribe him at this point really. From everything from the win to the way he won on Oropa in the exact same fashion as the italian god Pantani, Livigno stage otherwordly... It must be faith that he should win on Pantanis mountain the same way and fashion he did. The legend only grow. What a rider, ive been in cycling for 30 years total, as rider and now around, truly never been anyone like him.

As i said before after i was in the car with Roodhooft in Liege.

Theres not a single soul inside cycling who doesnt think Pogacar is the best cyclist of all time along with Merckx already in fact every single rider and SD ive talked too say it like its the most obvious thing now in fact even now also to the media. He can only be compared to Eddy already. If this is upsetting to someone on a forum i suggest go outside more then as this is as common knowledge as it gets in cycling already by now.

Congratz on a beatiful win and Trofeo Senza Fine.

Just came to say hi to the forum people and congrats with a awesome win. 3 GT, 6 monuments age 25 and the way he does it in this modern day cycling too, its hard to decribe him at this point really. From everything from the win to the way he won on Oropa in the exact same fashion as the italian god Pantani, Livigno stage otherwordly... It must be faith that he should win on Pantanis mountain the same way and fashion he did. The legend only grow. What a rider, ive been in cycling for 30 years total, as rider and now around, truly never been anyone like him.

Theres not a single soul inside cycling who doesnt think Pogacar is the best cyclist of all time along with Merckx already in fact every single rider and SD ive talked too say it like its the most obvious thing now in fact even now also to the media. He can only be compared to Eddy already. If this is upsetting to someone on a forum i suggest go outside more then as this is as common knowledge as it gets in cycling already by now.

He is on track to be considered among greats of this sport. I hope that he will have long and injury free career as he is exciting rider to watch (at least in my books).

I would just wait with GOAT debates until all is said and done any simply enjoy each of his performances. There will be enough time to discuss where he ranks with all time greats once he finishes his career.

But he must beat Vingegaard at the Tour while both are 100% for such platitudes to hold up. Sorry, but in terms of aerobic fitness, Jonas has out-classed Tadej. I don't think we will get the answer at this Tour, for I doubt Jonas will be in top shape. Alas

Reactions: Cassirer