• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tadej Pogačar discussion thread

Page 805 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Very surprised you don’t know? Yes, 1994 Hautacam stage Indurain rode off the front from everyone including Marco Pantani and his big rival Tony Rominger. It doesn’t get any more emphatic than that.

Another example was 1993 TdF stage 10 to Serre Chevalier - riders like Bugno and Chiappucci were destroyed by minutes on the Galibier. Only Rominger and Colombian pure climber Alvaro Mejia hung with Indurain.

It was actually amusing back then reading or hearing all these claims it was impossible for Indurain to beat little climbers in the big mountains. Then Big Mig made fools of them all with his sheer power.

I am too young to have watched it live and have never gotten around to watching videos of those Tours as I've been told how boring they were because he never won a mountain stage during his reign and always won the Tours through emphatic TTs.

And still I wouldn't really expect to get a Kwaremont feeling from watching it...

Reactions: Cookster15
I am too young to have watched it live and have never gotten around to watching videos of those Tours as I've been told how boring they were because he never won a mountain stage during his reign and always won the Tours through emphatic TTs.

And still I wouldn't really expect to get a Kwaremont feeling from watching it...

The way Big Mig crushed elite climbers on La Plagne ascent was epic. He was so big that those lightweight mountain goats (Pantani included) were almost completely hidden behind his back and still he dropped them all uphill!

Reactions: Cookster15

I wouldn’t say they were boring. That was when I got hooked on the sport. I was actually wishing someone would beat Indurain - like Rominger. But when Indurain was dethroned on the road to Pamplona in 1996 I was quite sad.

Last edited:
Reactions: scribers
Sepp Kuss reading this:
dog-cachorro.gif
kuss didnt have a higher chance of winning

Reactions: Red Rick
Not to hard, remember Van Aert being destroyed by Evenepoel? You don’t want to come into a situation where Hirschi and Evenepoel get an advantage on a flatter part and all teammates have been spent.
get somebody in the early flight or make sure there are no outsidersthere, so you don’t have to work to hard the first 150 km.
Danger might come from inside the team, what does he do when Mohoric, Tratnik or Primoz get into a promising position…

Not to hard, remember Van Aert being destroyed by Evenepoel? You don’t want to come into a situation where Hirschi and Evenepoel get an advantage on a flatter part and all teammates have been spent.
get somebody in the early flight or make sure there are no outsidersthere, so you don’t have to work to hard the first 150 km.
Danger might come from inside the team, what does he do when Mohoric, Tratnik or Primoz get into a promising position…
If they don't make it too hard, like UAE did at LBL then you can expect to finish together with MVDP.

Also besides Roglic no one from Slovenia should come in a promising position because they should work for Pogacar.

What? MVP can't even compete in Amstel
MVDP weighs much less, check his face, it's like Evenepoel at Dauphine and at TDF difference. He also doesn't have a long peak from WC CX -> Roubaix behind his belt now, he's fresher.

Obviously he won't be able to follow when Pogacar goes, but I don't see Pogacar ride away that easily from everyone and finish solo. So if he's joined by others, and the tempo is gone, MVDP is one of the first ones to come back. He was 3rd at LBL for a reason, and he's in better form and physique now.

The race might have 4500 altitude meters, but the route isn't as difficult as people assume at the moment.