• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tadej Pogacar and Mauro Giannetti

Page 69 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
as much as i would like to ignore the "west vs. east" narrative, its kinda funny to compare 4 wins of cavendish as a great comeback story, while two wins by mohoric are outrageous,pollitt and konrad and mollema win in same fashion - not a fart heard

not to mention, imho Vingegaard is much more of a suspiscious rider than pogacar - just like JV is much more suspiscious than UAE

look at the front page, "mechanical doping questions resurface"...where was those for past 10 years? ineos/sky rider doesnt win and all of a sudden we have resurface situation?

now i believe they are all on something,to various degrees, but if we get another Armstrong clusterf*ck imma flip out

Jeezuz. There wasn't as much thrown around at Froome when he was pedaling like a maniac up Ventoux, among other climbs when he dominated. Pogačar is a natural. Is he doping? Considering the history of cycling, particularly at the top end, most likely. But the attacks on him are more frivolous and fruitful.

There wasn't?

This forum even went down for weeks during that Tour of 2013.

it has to do something with him being "eastern european" as I have been taught here and everybody knows that slovenia has a state wide doping program , also been taught here.
By all means, feel free to call out folks getting super nationalistic over things or suggesting it is countrified doping ;) But please do not suggest it is the entire thread, as many of the posters don't try to push this east/west BS. Everyone knows Russia has had state wide doping, given the state is the monopoly, but I think most people are clear about other countries where doping is widespread (USA, Canada, list could go on and on, etc).

as much as i would like to ignore the "west vs. east" narrative, its kinda funny to compare 4 wins of cavendish as a great comeback story, while two wins by mohoric are outrageous,pollitt and konrad and mollema win in same fashion - not a fart heard
Cavendish is totally not believable. Absurd transformation and DQT is known to be able to do this to basically any sprinter. So obviously there is not the slightest bit of plausibility. But I guess few would argue for a clean Cav.

For Mohoric it was very much the gesture and not the win itself.

So your post is also not that balanced in terms of "fairness".

Froome's thread alone has 1374 pages... let alone the 1611 pages in the Sky thread. I don't think any cyclist ever received more criticism in the Clinic than Froome did.

Pogacar is not even close.

it was about the same amount of criticism with Froome, actually. the only difference is that Pogacar doesn't have a dozen newcomer fans from a certain country defending him on here.

Reactions: ngent41
Froome's thread alone has 1374 pages... let alone the 1611 pages in the Sky thread. I don't think any cyclist ever received more criticism in the Clinic than Froome did.

Pogacar is not even close.
It is because the Dawg is African.

A not exhaustive peruse of this section will make anyone realize that as a minimum riders of the following nations have been under suspicions if not outright accusations : England,Ireland, Portugal,Spain,Luxembourg,Belgium, Netherlands,Denmark,Norway,Kazakhstan,Russia,Slovakia,Slovenia, Germany,USA,Australia,Colombia,Argentina and I think I am way short.

The number of pages a rider gets here depend on 2 factors . 1) How successful the rider has been recently. 2) How outrageous their "transformation" has been when compared to their previous performances. Sometimes 1 and 2 are present at the same time and those are the most popular topics. It 's not surprise that people like Froome will get a way bigger thread than Quintana. This is not a geopolitical Machiavellian calculation.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ripper
The number of pages also depends upon how evenly opinions are split. If most people agree there won't be many pages. But if a large body of posters disagree for whatever reason (including nationalism) there will be more discussion. The Skyneos thread (1,611 pages) is similar to the Froome thread obviously. But of course if the rider / team isn't successful it would not matter if opinions were split.

Jeezuz. There wasn't as much thrown around at Froome when he was pedaling like a maniac up Ventoux, among other climbs when he dominated. Pogačar is a natural. Is he doping? Considering the history of cycling, particularly at the top end, most likely. But the attacks on him are more frivolous and fruitful.
Let me know when this thread is dominated by page after page of "alien attack!", various uses of the r word etc. Incredibly low effort post.

Reactions: roundabout
Exactly. There is a fine line there especially at a distance. I've fit two World Champions, yes only triathletes, but it still holds.
Indeed. Balancing aerodynamics and biodynamics (so to speak) is not a new thing. Otherwise we would all be riding on bikes that are a size too small with the stem slammed and inverted.

Having said this, there most certainly is a trade off whereby while you might gain power/comfort by not being as aerodynamic, you will go slower unless you can push more watts. So, what is funny about TP is he wins a time trial, that is fairly flat, against people who are able to achieve massive sustained wattage and phenomenal aerodynamics, and where w/kg are not really part of the equation. And this is before fatigue becomes a major factor in a grand tour. So ya, with the amount of power he must be throwing down in a flattish time trial, I'm pretty sure he could have put in more time on the climbs.

A not exhaustive peruse of this section will make anyone realize that as a minimum riders of the following nations have been under suspicions if not outright accusations : England,Ireland, Portugal,Spain,Luxembourg,Belgium, Netherlands,Denmark,Norway,Kazakhstan,Russia,Slovakia,Slovenia, Germany,USA,Australia,Colombia,Argentina and I think I am way short.

The number of pages a rider gets here depend on 2 factors . 1) How successful the rider has been recently. 2) How outrageous their "transformation" has been when compared to their previous performances. Sometimes 1 and 2 are present at the same time and those are the most popular topics. It 's not surprise that people like Froome will get a way bigger thread than Quintana. This is not a geopolitical Machiavellian calculation.
That's more like reason #4 and #5, with reason #1, #2, and #3 being how fanatically his fans defend the cleanzness.

Primarily the quantity of accusation is based on being British & if a riders performance is accepted/believed at face value without evidence. It's not a coincidence that teams with multiple proven and sanctioned doping violations barely reach 100 pages (some not even past 1), yet the last remaining team in World Tour without a doping violation has 1000's. Maybe this is why UAE are not entertaining any concept of trying to claim/show/prove to be clean, because Sky has shown them it really has the opposite effect on social media and the press. You're better off being a Liquigas with dozens of doping violations, staff mixed up in all sorts of police and anti-doping investigations and largely everyone will still love you and the riders who doped and leave you alone because you just said nothing to suggest you are clean anyway.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: XlandaluzeX
Primarily the quantity of accusation is based on being British & if a riders performance is accepted/believed at face value without evidence. It's not a coincidence that teams with multiple proven and sanctioned doping violations barely reach 100 pages (some not even past 1), yet the last remaining team in World Tour without a doping violation has 1000's. Maybe this is why UAE are not entertaining any concept of trying to claim/show/prove to be clean, because Sky has shown them it really has the opposite effect on social media and the press. You're better off being a Liquigas with dozens of doping violations, staff mixed up in all sorts of police and anti-doping investigations and largely everyone will still love you and the riders who doped and leave you alone because you just said nothing to suggest you are clean anyway.
Sky from 2011 name change could have been any nationality and it wouldn’t have mattered. On top of threads growing from defenders and fans coming in, the detractors, those in the middle, and the arguments. It’s no wonder that they get big threads when smaller riders or more cut abs dry cases don’t get as much growth.

Reactions: Koronin
Its 2005 and Great Britain cycling was behind the likes of Brazil or Czech republic in the UCI rankings. Fast forward 10 years and they got 3 Tours with 2 different riders and a british team dominating the World Tour. But yeah people were suspicious cause racism. Against Brits. LOL

• Haha
Reactions: SafeBet
The number of pages also depends upon how evenly opinions are split. If most people agree there won't be many pages. But if a large body of posters disagree for whatever reason (including nationalism) there will be more discussion. The Skyneos thread (1,611 pages) is similar to the Froome thread obviously. But of course if the rider / team isn't successful it would not matter if opinions were split.
Disagree, you only need a very vocal minority (Usually the connationals of the accused rider) to create a big discussion
Ah yes, the forum is just anglophobic.
Like the kids in r/soccer in reddit (a place that is like 40% American 25% British) and they were complaining about "Anglophobia", lol.

The thing with first Armstrong and then Ineos is that you had a critical mass of people defending the athlete at all costs. In that case it probably helps if the athlete is from a "newer" cycling country cause the nationalistic haven't seen the same stupid story at least 15 times before, as well as smaller or non-English speaking countreis just being less active on an English forum.

Like the kids in r/soccer in reddit (a place that is like 40% American 25% British) and they were complaining about "Anglophobia", lol.
"It's just banter mate"

Reactions: Koronin
What does that even mean? That he was good early on? That he doesn't look as ugly as Froome on the bike?

It means that its the belief that his idol/compatriot or whatever would still have been the real deal had he not be a pharmacy on wheels. Its the same excuses, just a different rider.

Now watch the complaints start about this being a eastern vs western thing as if Froome didnt have critics.

TRENDING THREADS