• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Taking a bike box to France for the first time

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Hi all,

I wasn't sure where to put this as I'm not exactly a beginner...

I'm taking my bike to France for the first time in a couple of weeks, and flying to Geneva from Heathrow. I've never used a bike box before and just wondered what the experienced travellers amongst you packed in the box along with the bike, if anything. It's a DhB so quite heavy, but carrying a light carbon bike. I was thinking about packing stuff like drink powders, nuun tabs, shorts, jersey's etc in there too. Any thoughts or suggestions would be most welcome?

Mar 10, 2009
www.rolfraehansen.com
I've packed other stuff in with the bike before (although with a bike bag, not a box), like track pump, toolkit, bike shoes etc, and used my clothing as extra padding.

Apr 8, 2009
Visit site
Have done this a few times, so some thoughts.

Pack shoes and pedals in hand luggage. If everything else goes missing you can still ride.

dont bother taking drink powders etc or anything else you can buy there unless you are not weight restricted.

If you are going to use subway, buses or anything that will require moving the box far, put wheels on it. (sorry, I dont know the DhB - maybe it already has them)

Even a carbon bike quickly becomes a 20Kg package one you start putting stuff in the box, so only take what you really need. (seems obvious but once you start having to carry stuff far, it soon gets heavy. Many train stations have long flights of steps, turnstiles and other obstacles to hinder cyclists)

If it is a hard case then you will be over 20Kg before you have put anything else in the box. A 25Kg case is not much fun - believe me.

other than that enjoy the trip.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Took my bike to the tour in 2005 in an Ironcase. Used my shorts, jerseys, socks, and towels for padding. Also included my tools (absolutely need a pedal wrech), spare tubes, tires, gloves, and shoes. Your basically limited only by your imagination. One thing that won't fit is your helmet. Even used the case to bring back two of those big green PMU hands as momentoes.

Jun 27, 2009
Visit site
I've done it a half a dozen times and am always nervous about the possible risks. Mostly I worry that the box will be opened for inspection and then not closed correctly, or will somehow get damaged and release its contents onto the tarmac..

I wrap each tube of the bike with foam pipe insulation for padding. I always pack in clothing and other soft stuff in the spaces between the frame for more padding, and do so in plastic shopping bags which I tie at the handles and tape these to the frame; in case the box is opened, they will not leave their spot. I also fold my rain cape and jacket to add a layer of padding inside the wheel bags. I would not pack anything hard, such as helmet, shoes, and of course, as there is a weight limit, nothing heavy.. I was considering removing the rear derailleur, as it seems to be vulnerable - not disconnecting the cable, but just undoing it from the frame.. As well, I've thought about taking off the right crank for more space and weight saving, but it seems to actually help 'seat' the bike into the bottom block. Same with the fork, as it can just slide right out, but then what; you have to tie it in somehow. There are tons of other little tricks, such as weaving the tie straps through the wheel-bag handles in case they get separated.. but that's the bulk of it. Oh, and this year, I'll be packing a spare bike (no wheels) into a shipping box; in case the worst happens, I can have that sent to me rather than spend my vacation trying to buy another bike over there..

Happy travels.

May 26, 2009
Visit site
Be prepared that security may want to open the bike box and take a look. If that does happen, chances are they aren't going to be as skilled or dilligent at reassembly. Also, leave CO2 cartridges at home.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
If the flight is direct, I always feel more comfortable putting shoes and pedals in the box. If there is one or more stops,..I always take essentials with me. Otherwise, make sure most of the empty space in the case is taken up, either with clothes, towels or foam, so nothing can rattle around. Each box is slighly different,..so it might be worth your time to do a practice run, so you know exactly how everything will fit.

Have a great trip,...you doing L'Etape?

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
just took my bike box to Geneva from Heathrow with BA. Didn't have any problems either end and didn't get weighed with it either. Main problem I had was getting the pedals off first time round.

Good advice is to take a picture of the bike box once it is packed. If you have to load up after the Etape or a long ride you can be too tired to work out how you had it before.

If you have space you might be able to fit track pump and helmet in there. Anything heavy or likely to move I would take in your normal luggage

May 6, 2009
Visit site
I was able to put my shoes and helmet in my box. I used as much bubble wrap and cardboard as I could possibily use. Go hit up a bike store for some bubble wrap. Make sure the chain is in the big chain ring to protect the teeth, and put some bubble wrap over it and the rear derailleur. Another good idea is when before you take the seat post out, put some tape around the base of the seat post so you know where your seat post sits and and your bike is set up properly.

I went to the Tour in 2007 and I flew with Singapore Airlines (and I shared a plane ride with then-Astana rider Aaron Kemp) and it was free to take my bike with them, so that partly influenced the decision to fly with them and I didn't have any problems at the other end.

Apr 8, 2009
Visit site
craig1985 said:
I was able to put my shoes and helmet in my box. I used as much bubble wrap and cardboard as I could possibily use. Go hit up a bike store for some bubble wrap. Make sure the chain is in the big chain ring to protect the teeth, and put some bubble wrap over it and the rear derailleur. Another good idea is when before you take the seat post out, put some tape around the base of the seat post so you know where your seat post sits and and your bike is set up properly.

I went to the Tour in 2007 and I flew with Singapore Airlines (and I shared a plane ride with then-Astana rider Aaron Kemp) and it was free to take my bike with them, so that partly influenced the decision to fly with them and I didn't have any problems at the other end.
It's a good idea to take the chain right off. I use the missing links so it is very easy and reduces risk of the chain scratching the frame. Wrap it in a rag that will double as a cleaning rag.

Likewise unscrew the derailleur, but leave the cable connected. Just wrap it well.

I wouldn't take a track pump - too heavy, but take the head for your CO2 cylinders and buy some over there.

Singapore do charge over a certain limit, but I have found them to be generous. It is the budget airlines in Europe that screw you, so be aware.

davidg said:
It's a good idea to take the chain right off. I use the missing links so it is very easy and reduces risk of the chain scratching the frame. Wrap it in a rag that will double as a cleaning rag.

Likewise unscrew the derailleur, but leave the cable connected. Just wrap it well.

I wouldn't take a track pump - too heavy, but take the head for your CO2 cylinders and buy some over there.

Singapore do charge over a certain limit, but I have found them to be generous. It is the budget airlines in Europe that screw you, so be aware.

Totally agree with the advice about the rear derailleur - I wrap it in an old t-shirt and tape it inside the chain stay. I also put a spacer in both the rear dropouts and the front forks.

And for me the pedals and shoes in your other bag (or hand luggage if you are super cautious) - and I don't pack loads of stuff in the bike box - only because I try to keep it light.

Oh and not everyone does this but ... I always take the air out of the tyres ... I have visions of exploding tubes in low pressure cargo holds... but not sure if that is a real issue or not.

Have a great ride

May 6, 2009
Visit site
I taped my chain to rear chainstay with a bit of two inch black tape and put some more bubble wrap. I have flown Easyjet from England (Bristol) to Rome and I had to for my bike and my wheels. Believe me it cost me a fortune.

And then the smug **** at the airport asked me how they can open it if they needed to check inside, I felt like telling him to GAGF (go and get ****ed) after all the effort I put in the day before getting it all ready to go.

davidg said:

I've had a different experience with Singapore Airlines. I've had to make a scene at the airport a few times to get my bike on the plane without being totally bent over on the excess baggage. Luckily, I have a travel agent who is well connected and has been able to pull a few strings with the powers that be at Singapore Airlines when I've called her from the airport.

I have never figured out why a plane flying out of Australia has a 20kg luggage limit when the same plane flying from North America has a 32kg limit (or more sometimes). I also wish they charged by reference to the combined weight of the passenger and their luggage. That way, us skinny fellas won't be subsidising the fuel costs for all the fatter people.

As regards packing tips, I usually hire a car there, and have found that some models only just fit my bike case. The airports are much less likely these days to have 'left luggage' centres where you can leave the case while you are there, so if you need to take the case/box with you, make sure the car you're hiring is big enough (those Euro cars are often smaller (and much more fun) than the big clunky things we drive in Australia).

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
sherer said:
just took my bike box to Geneva from Heathrow with BA. Didn't have any problems either end and didn't get weighed with it either. Main problem I had was getting the pedals off first time round.

Good advice is to take a picture of the bike box once it is packed. If you have to load up after the Etape or a long ride you can be too tired to work out how you had it before.

If you have space you might be able to fit track pump and helmet in there. Anything heavy or likely to move I would take in your normal luggage

Thanks everyone for all the replies...some really useful stuff.

I'll also be flying direct to Geneva from Heathrow, and in answer to someone else's question, the dHb box does have wheels. I'm staying in Samoens so need to get a bus transfer from Geneva, either direct to Samoens or to Taninges which is about 10 miles away.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
FYI if anyone is flying international with a packed bike (like we are next week to TdF) Emirates have just increased their luggage allowance, even in cattle class, to 30kg per passenger. That is enough for a bike and light luggage without any excess baggage charges.

If you are close to the weight limit, put heavier things like pedals, shoes etc in your hand luggage. It's unlikely to be weighed.

Apr 8, 2009
Visit site
ProfTournesol said:
FYI if anyone is flying international with a packed bike (like we are next week to TdF) Emirates have just increased their luggage allowance, even in cattle class, to 30kg per passenger. That is enough for a bike and light luggage without any excess baggage charges.

If you are close to the weight limit, put heavier things like pedals, shoes etc in your hand luggage. It's unlikely to be weighed.

Thanks for that good news.

A word of caution. Last time I flew they were generous with the baggage, but weighing all the hand luggage. If you have checked in your luggage and get to the gate with a heavy hand case, you will be unloading into the hold. Worth being cautious, but each airline seems to have different interpretations.

TRENDING THREADS