• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Taking away Pantani's 1998 TdF win?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

In this scenario, should Pantani keep being recognised as the winner?

• Don't know/other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
This just shows you what this whole re testing 1998 riders for EPO is really all about. A big distraction from what is still going on in cycling. And it shows you what unconscionable (make it up as you go along) ethics McQuaid really has.

"UCI President Pat McQuaid has hinted that a new winner could be anointed for the 1998 Tour de France if the French Senate report reveals that Marco Pantani tested positive for EPO. Such a decision would be at odds with an eight-year statute of limitations".

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
hrotha said:
No, this has nothing to do with the UCI or current cycling. This was the French Senate, remember?

Well it must be in conjunction with UCI as they will have the power to discredit Pantani - no?

EDIT Perhaps it is a ploy by McQuaid to save his neck? Who knows, very confusing.

Gugashwill

BANNED
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Although Pantani has almost certainly used PEDs, and the retroactive testing probably will confirm that, he shouldn't be erased from record books from very simple reason - he can't defend himself.
It's a very problematic case from legal prospective, as well as from ethical.

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
I think the retrospective testing is not a bad thing at all. That for sure has an impact on the riders of today. They are just aware that everything they take today could be detected later. But rewriting the tour history because of later caught PED users is another thing.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
If you take away Pantani's win that we might as well take away the win from everybody that won the Tour (or most other races) from that entire era. doping was part of the norm in that era, and everybody knows it. Taking away a dead mans victory is absolutely useless and pointless. Everyone knows him along with everyone he competed with was heavily doped, what's the point of striking his biggest wins from his record now?

What's more it just seems wrong to take away the win from someone who is dead. Adding insult to injury x100 kind of thing. The fact that is is even being considered is unbelievable.

42x16ss said:
Let Pantani rest in peace and sort out cyclings current problems, not those of a man who died nearly 10 years ago.

Agree with this.

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
It's all or none in my book. Strip Pantani, Strip Ullrich, Riis, Indurian.. Make them all pay the price, don't pick and choose based upon who's a nice guy, and who's a ***.

I'm a big fan of Pantani, Ullrich, but the hypocrisy needs to end. A cheater is a cheater, punish them all.

Catwhoorg said:
5 years, 20 years or 50 years.

If they are proven to sufficient standard to have doped, strip the titles.

CAS can decide if that standard has been met if necessary.

It don't work that way around here. If you like the guy, look the other way. If you don't like the guy, gut him. Justice around here has better sight than GeoEye.

Yeah I know.

Call it an aspiration of mine for any sport.

I'd also strip all team results, in rugby, football etc for a doping offense by an individual.
Its only fair after all.

(and this is NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN)...

What does it achieve? Nothing new is learned, no new knowledge is gained, we all already knew.

Ok, Anquetil admitted to doping, so did Fignon and Coppi. Merckx was caught, as were Zoetemelk, Roche and Delgado amongst others. Are they getting stripped of their wins? This is an unnecessary attempt to salvage reputation from someone who doesn't want cycling's current issues probed into.

Anyone remotely familiar with Pantani knows those samples won't be clean, let it go and stop letting the same type of circumstances that led to Pantani and Jiminez's deaths continue. :mad:

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Marco Pantani said:
He was punished enough troughout his whole carrer.
Me missed so many chances and stage races as Armstrong and Ullrich were allowed to do their thing.

On the other hand, if they strip him off his title, nothing will change. Pantani will always be the cycling legend be earned to be.

There are other problems they should deal with at the moment.

Pantani wasn't a baby. He made his choices.

If his retest is positive he gets struck off as a winner.

There is whole sport of problems to be dealt with and if they dont punish doping retrospectively that creates problems.

If they let Pantani keep his win why not others?

Benotti69 said:

There is whole sport of problems to be dealt with and if they dont punish doping retrospectively that creates problems.

Then lets start with 5 year old samples of current riders, not 15 year old samples of dead men!

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
I am 100% ok with it. It will help bring change to the sport because the ridicoluousness of it shows how incompentent the UCI was in governing the sport. How can the UCI say they did their job if every winner from 1998 - 2006 was stripped of their results? How can anyone say the UCI did anything?

Benotti69 said:

problem is the others keep their win so why not Pantani?

hrotha said:
Taking it to the extreme: why not Armstrong? Why not Di Luca? Why strip anyone?

There's a certain inherent unfairness in not everybody being caught. Turning a blind eye on those who are caught is *not* the solution.
I don't give a f*ck if Pantani loses his Tour. But if only he does, then we have a problem. (ok we already have a lot)

May 26, 2010
Visit site
42x16ss said:
Then lets start with 5 year old samples of current riders, not 15 year old samples of dead men!

Lets do them all. Lets get all the dopers. I would take Roche and Dalgado's wins off them. Fignon who admitted to doping would lose his too.

Eshnar said:
problem is the others keep their win so why not Pantani?

I dont agree that any doper gets to keep his wins never mind the winnings from cheating.

Pantani was not a child. He chose to dope. He chose his path. His is a sad and sorry tale but to let him keep his win is wrong.

Problem with the sport is too many get away with the doping so that others can be persuaded to dope.

Pantani was a character, but in sport doping is not excused by character.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Zweistein said:
I am 100% ok with it. It will help bring change to the sport because the ridicoluousness of it shows how incompentent the UCI was in governing the sport. How can the UCI say they did their job if every winner from 1998 - 2006 was stripped of their results? How can anyone say the UCI did anything?

On the other hand, the UCI could use it as proof that they are doing a good job now. "we made mistakes and missed things in the past, but have learned from those mistakes and are making amends for them now."

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Afrank said:
On the other hand, the UCI could use it as proof that they are doing a good job now. "we made mistakes and missed things in the past, but have learned from those mistakes and are making amends for them now."

They can say that but remember it was USADA that stripped Armstrong, not UCI. Also, the UCI canned the indepedent investigation of their own organization. When all is fleshed out, I would have a hard time imagining anybody coming to that conclusion.

IMO testing samples from 2004-2007 for CERA and Dynepo (whom tests were not available at the time) would be much more useful as it could clean the field of a few (or a lot) of dodgy riders who instead will be DS or team managers in the next few years. Than would be a way to clean cycling now ;)