• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Taking the Pi** Pidcock

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Pid isn't going to fit the donkey-to-racehorse transformation mold. He seems like a gritty and very talented guy from juniors onward. That's not an exoneration. I'm pretty sure he'll have more/future performances that enhance the number of pages for his Clinic thread. I think he still has some work to do to join the Thermonuclear Club.
Totally not a donkey. Has amazing skills and I'm reasonably sure (at least as I could be) he's a mega athletic talent. But I also think the span of his performances are beyond belief. Funny enough, I don't really by into the motor doping stuff, but if someone were to look like they're running a motor (at least while climbing), it's him :p;)

Reactions: Alpe d'Huez
Armstrong, Ullrich, Pantani, Valverde, Contador etc have all had plenty written about how dominant they were at a young age, undoped Race-Horse to doped Race-horse is how it works in horseracing too, they don't say "we'll buy a horse 50% less thoroughbred, dope it and then beat the doped 100% thoroughbreds", so Donkey to Race-Horse is a red herring anyway if everyone is maximising their levels to more or less an extent, that extent simply isn't considered when banned with a doping violation anyway, you're a cheater, it's as simple as that, We don't know the extent of a caught doper's doping whatsoever only what they were caught for which might be 1 of 1 of 1 of 10 other doping violations that were not found.

Armstrong, Ullrich, Pantani, Valverde, Contador etc have all had plenty written about how dominant they were at a young age, undoped Race-Horse to doped Race-horse is how it works in horseracing too, they don't say "we'll buy a horse 50% less thoroughbred, dope it and then beat the doped 100% thoroughbreds", so Donkey to Race-Horse is a red herring anyway if everyone is maximising their levels to more or less an extent, that extent simply isn't considered when banned with a doping violation anyway, you're a cheater, it's as simple as that, We don't know the extent of a caught doper's doping whatsoever only what they were caught for which might be 1 of 1 of 1 of 10 other doping violations that were not found.

Your post totally leaves out that some athletes profit more from doping than others.

Reactions: nayr497
Haven't posted over here in ages. Any of you watch mountain bike racing? His performances this year have been beyond belief.

Best climber. Best through all power sections, able to blast through the most tech sections, and an incredible sprinter to boot. On his way to be the best mountain bike racer ever at the rate he's going. Not too indifferent than many others from Britain, that newfound country of incredible cycling talent, especially the transformation of those in an Ineos jersey.

If it looks like a duck...

Haven't posted over here in ages. Any of you watch mountain bike racing? His performances this year have been beyond belief.

Best climber. Best through all power sections, able to blast through the most tech sections, and an incredible sprinter to boot. On his way to be the best mountain bike racer ever at the rate he's going. Not too indifferent than many others from Britain, that newfound country of incredible cycling talent, especially the transformation of those in an Ineos jersey.

If it looks like a duck...
@Alpe d'Huez ... indeed. When he decides to go, he makes others look like juniors pretty quick. Time "off" the MTB? Not a problem compared to others. Even MvdP had to work at it :p

Your post totally leaves out that some athletes profit more from doping than others.

I wish more people understood this, which is why doping is such a problem. We don't know how people will react.

Give Average Joe A a snort of meth. He cleans his house top-to-bottom and goes on a 5 miles run. Give Average Joe B a snort, he robs a bank and gets in a high-speed chase with the police.

MVDP had to work for 3 years to be able to combat Schurter and co (in 2019).

Pidcock comes in and pretty much destroyed everyone everytime he was on good form.

Some would say that Schurter is aging, he's 36 now (spoiler: he wasn't in 2019) and after15 years at the top he might decline at some point.

But that wouldn't wash in the Clinic. The big brains here know that it must be doping.

(Also maybe Pidcock is better at MTB that MVDP)

and a bit of a loon were more important for the downhill ;)
1024px-PacificLoon24.jpg

Loon you say?

• Haha
Reactions: Ripper
Though he faded, and made two technical mistakes at the XCO World's, Pidcock went from starting in about 35th place, to the very front of the race in less than three laps. Amazing "talent", especially considering he had just one MTB race in the last few months (the European championships, which he won, btw.)

As to skinny guys climbing, if that were the case Luca Braido and plenty other MTB racers would drop guys like Nino Schurter too (seriously doubt Nino has doped. Best MTB racer ever. Though I'm not naive enough to think the majority of MTB racers are squeaky clean).

Clinic could do a thread on Matthias Flukinger, who did recently test + for zeranol, an estrogen based anabolic. Say what? One friend speculates he was microdosing something to boost his T, and taking this to counter/mask it, and went over the limit. This seems possible. Who knows? Sucks because he's an aggressive racer, fun to watch, even when he doesn't win. Also felt bad when the internet trolled, even threatened, the guy so bad after a race in Switzerland that he decided to skip a few races to avoid people and potential confrontations.

TRENDING THREADS