• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

tall bike for a very tall women

Mar 2, 2010
Visit site
OK - this isn't a racing bike.

Colleen is a friend of mine in California who tries to get kids out of the house riding bikes and gardening. Her problem is she is two meters tall (over 6'6) and nothing fits. She has long legs even for a person of her height. Here is a photo of her on the tallest bike at a bike shop, which was the closest fit they could find.

Trek took an interest and made this custom bike that is sized to fit her. It is based on their eco line and they gave it a beautiful paint job.

She is extremely happy with it. She happens to be an athlete, but bikes are transportation and fun for her, so this is perfect.

Mar 2, 2010
Visit site
This brings up another issue -namely bikes for women. Colleen is on the extreme, but women are different from men even if they are the same height. In the US there are women specific designs, but many of these are criticized as just smaller versions of "men's" bikes that are marketed to women. "shrink and pink" as they say. There are also some good ones, but there isn't a lot of choice. A small framed friend of mine was on the verge of going with a custom frame she couldn't afford until one of the many bike shops she had contacted found a very small frame with the right dimensions so it could be fit to her.

Much of my time is in Denmark where women cyclists are understood. We outnumber the men slightly and a bike shop that doesn't cater to them is in trouble. I have visited a few good shops in the US, but many are condescending to women. Beginners in particular are not treated well - they are not regarded as serious unless they are doing something like racing and have a lot of experience.

I'm treated well, but that is probably because I'm taller than most guys at 190cm and I'm athletic. The same is not true for many women. The proof is when you ride in the US and notice how few women there are.

I'm very happy that Colleen promotes biking as transportation and just fun to kids. I think she is very good for the girls who have mostly never seen such a tall women and find that she finds a lot of fun and freedom on a bike.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
The bike biz on a whole is tough.... it seems you can't please everyone. Hence, lots of specialty makers of bikes.

I'm not overly tall, 76 inches, but growing up tall..... I learned pretty quickly I was going to have to search for what I need when it comes to being outside the mainstream fit. I also am learning I don't fit in anywhere particular .... so as time goes on I am taking less offense at being talked down to or get "attitude" or whatever I may be inclined to take offense with. People often are offended and frightened by what they perceive as "different"..... so they often "strike out" in the verbal sense. What constitutes as "different" depends on each of us. To most bike shops ..... tall people are different..... tall women in particular are even more so. They don't really know that they're "striking out" ..... it just becomes the unconscious way to deal with the world. It's okay if this makes no sense ..... maybe it will another day.

So, I say go where the groove is good. As Colleen has found with Trek. It only takes one person to welcome you and like magic ..... you find what you needed after all.

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
Zinn Bicycles. He makes really good bikes for really big people. Check out TJ at the W Hotel NYC.6ft 11 inch 300+ pounds and he is really positioned well on his bike.

Mar 2, 2010
Visit site
The Zinn bikes have a very good reputation, but are well beyond my friend's means. I looked at them when I was hunting, but found something to my needs locally. It is a beautiful bike made to my measurements by Sögreni, but it was not inexpensive.

What I am more concerned about is how women are treated in some US bike shops (not all!) Not tall women, but women in general. It is a chicken and egg problem as there aren't many bikes that are engineered for women's bodies and needs. Some of the WSD bikes are jokingly known as "shrink and pink". I would love to see more women in all types of bike riding in the US - especially using bikes for errands and commuting, but there is a big barrier when they are treated poorly in a shop and there is little in the way of product.

Jun 16, 2009
www.oxygencycles.com
We deal with a few brands that do women specific performance bikes, and I have to say all of them are very good at what they do (not just shrink and pink), but none of them cater for women over 5"8. As a shop owner I find it awkward when asked by a customer if my partner rides a women's specific bike, and I have to admit her MTB's are both men's models, albeit, with a shorter head stem and an appropriate saddle fitted. The only women's bike she owns and fits is a Dutch Gazelle step-thru bike she uses for shopping.