• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Taylor Phinney Discussion Thread

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Cal_Joe said:
Agree with you about the bolded part. Also, (paraphrasing your words) that info (a link, which does not affect bandwidth) would add to the forum experience.

Sadly none of which you do. If you contributed more rather than complaining about other posters then you may have a point. Disappointingly not.

Give to the forum and it will provide back.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Some more pictures of the bike, built up

574315640.jpg

And wheels

574019309.jpg

May 27, 2010
Visit site
I believe once the generation of the greats, Boonen, Canc, Ballan, Pippo and Hushovd for PR is over. The likes of Phinney will take over and contend for PR.
Remember he was working his *** off before arenberg and STILL managed to get 15th.
Indeed he is a future TT star, he has the potential to be as dominant as cancellara or tony and is getting there.
BMC have to do EVERYTHING to make him stay, they can't let such a talent go. He joins the new talented young group of kittel, talansky and sagan.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Great ride again by him today! I must admit I was a little annoyed that he won yesterday because he is so hyped and races for BMC but even I must admit it was well deserved. Today he was more or less by himself during a lot of the time but was able to keep his position. I don't know how the crash (?) came about, maybe that was an error on his part but then he put in an impressive effort to come back, again more or less by himself. Respect young man!

May 27, 2010
Visit site
cineteq said:
This can be as soon as next year. ;)

Yeah maybe haha. But BMC should not work phinney too hard in the earlier part of PR. Maybe use phinney as a super domestique for Thor and Ballan. And see how he goes at the later part.

May 27, 2010
Visit site
Many say he is overrated but he really is not. Very impressive at a young age. I wonder how many wins can he get this year. Already has 2 under his belt.

May 27, 2010
Visit site
Bavarianrider said:
I must say i can't really undertsand why he is doing the Giro so.
Tour of California + Tour de France would have been a lot better i think.
Let's face it in the US nobody will take notice of his Rosa

Maybe he was aiming for this stage and the maglia rosa.
Its way better than getting a stage in california.

Bavarianrider said:
Because he's a second-year pro who couldn't finish the Vuelta last year and who still needs to keep improving and growing before being really useful to someone like Evans over three weeks. Also because who cares about non-fans in the US. Also two, Phinney lives in Italy.

Bavarianrider said:

It won't be headlined in the sports pages but there will be mention made of his exploits in the newspapers hard and on-line versions.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
cineteq said:
This can be as soon as next year. ;)

Very much doubt that. All of them look as strong as ever, if not stronger. With the exception of Hushovd of course. This generation will probably last another 3 to 5 years.

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
Very much doubt that. All of them look as strong as ever, if not stronger. With the exception of Hushovd of course. This generation will probably last another 3 to 5 years.

Very true, I give Boonen and Gilbert at least 4 more years... but then it will be Sep, Wilco, Phinney, & Demare crushing everything! Oh and can't forget Degenkolb... he will be the best at the cobble I think, already impressive. Sagan will win EVERYTHING if he doesn't start going downhill.

dlwssonic said:
Many say he is overrated but he really is not. Very impressive at a young age. I wonder how many wins can he get this year. Already has 2 under his belt.

Time trials, on the road, solo.
He may have one of the biggest engines in the modern peloton, but he also has bike handling skills that make Frank Schleck look like Robbie McEwen.

He has kissed the tarmac in his last two road stages.

Big difference between riding a time trial and riding in the bunch.
He may have the former down pat, but he's still has a lot to learn about the latter.

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
gustienordic said:
Very true, I give Boonen and Gilbert at least 4 more years... but then it will be Sep, Wilco, Phinney, & Demare crushing everything! Oh and can't forget Degenkolb... he will be the best at the cobble I think, already impressive. Sagan will win EVERYTHING if he doesn't start going downhill.

Not to be a buzzkill, he is young and impressive but he could very easily have a career like Boardman where is really sticks out in just a few events, which by most people's standards would be considered a successful career. Playing him up to be a possible world beater is in my opinion a little unfair to him.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:
Time trials, on the road, solo.
He may have one of the biggest engines in the modern peloton, but he also has bike handling skills that make Frank Schleck look like Robbie McEwen.

I disagree. Taylor handles the bike well, but could be better at positioning in the pack.

It will come with time. His first bike was only 5 years ago.

TRENDING THREADS