• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Taylor Phinney podcast - EPO, opiates and painkillers

Taylor talks about EPO, and the continued widespread use of opiates and painkillers among other things
Do you have any quotes on that, on the continued widespread use bit? Bits I've read suggested the opiates - Tramadol - stuff dates back to what he was saying a decade ago when he was at BMC, since when the UCI has brought in the pre-race DBS finger-pric test for Tramadol.

What was interesting was what he said about the backlash from BMC management over the things he was saying then and after he broke his leg.

Last edited:
Do you have any quotes on that, on the continued widespread use bit? Bits I've read suggested the opiates - Tramadol - stuff dates back to what he was saying a decade ago when he was at BMC, since when the UCI has brought in the pre-race DBS finger-pric test for Tramadol.

What was interesting was what he said about the backlash from BMC management over the things he was saying then and after he broke his leg.
I've edited my original post to ditch the 'continued' bit because after listening again he does not specifically say that. I suppose I thought it was implied.

He said that when he raced, opiates and painkillers were ubiquitous. Couple of quotes: “You would get offered [opiates] but I was like, I don’t think I need an opiate painkiller today to get through this race, you know. But it was just a thing, especially in the classics, so many guys were doing that. I was kind of like, this is *** up.”

“You would smash a couple of Tramadol at the end of the race, which is basically like taking a Vicodin or two along with like a bunch of caffeine and maybe some Sudafed. I mean, that’s a bomb right there."

I've needed to take opiates after riding my bike due to the amount of pain I was in. I can't imagine why a pro would take them. Even if you're used to them, they still mess with your body.

What am I not understanding here? Are they just taking low dosages or what?

If you're an in-shape athlete and on form...wow, taking this mix of helpers would make you feel like you're on Cloud 9!

“You would smash a couple of Tramadol at the end of the race, which is basically like taking a Vicodin or two along with like a bunch of caffeine and maybe some Sudafed. I mean, that’s a bomb right there."