• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Taylor Phinney to Team BMC

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
A

Anonymous

Choocher said:
Off topic I know, but is this forum your only outlet for hostility or do you have others? I do hope you have others.

says the hostile one.. was a fair answer to my question.. a multi page thread on a neo pro going to a pro contintal team is crazy. He is turning into armstrong mk2. will need a taylor phinney thread soon.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Hugh Januss said:
Or at least "clean". Interesting contrast between Lance refusing to speak to a 20 year old kid because he didn't sign with Lance's team and the story about Vino and Contador getting together for a street race even though Alberto has changed teams. Lance must be the most vindictive guy in the pro peloton. Could that have anything to do with the number of ex-Postal and Disco riders who have tested positive after they left?
i know a lot of times before posting you consider 'should i be funny, witty or serious' ? whatever entered your head, this time you nailed it !

jeez, a 20 y o kid who is the future of america isn't worth a call back ?

what a prigjck !

python said:
i know a lot of times before posting you consider 'should i be funny, witty or serious' ? whatever entered your head, this time you nailed it !

jeez, a 20 y o kid who is the future of america isn't worth a call back ?

what a prigjck !

For what its worth Taylor just tweeted this:

taylorphinney Just got a txt from @lancearmstrong. I haven't talked to him in a while but he was very supportive of my decision... Thx 4 everything boss!

I'm just glad he's out of that team and with BMC.

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
Choocher said:
Off topic I know, but is this forum your only outlet for hostility or do you have others? I do hope you have others.

I do hope you realise there are other U23 riders out there who have signed at pro continental and even, gasp, pro tour teams. It's a crazy world out there, I know. Degenkolb signs for HTC, silence. Kump signs for Geox, silence. Matthews signs for Rabo, silence. Duarte signs for Geox, silence. Phinney signs for BMC and BAM, the forum explodes.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
TeamSkyFans said:
was a fair answer to my question.. a multi page thread on a neo pro going to a pro contintal team is crazy.
Actually I found the quip a bit over the top. First, Taylor Phinney looks to be a prodigy. Second, this is an english language site. And third, the fact that Phinney had been groomed (of late) by Armstrong's LiveStrong team, and chose not to sign with Armstrong's TRS makes this newsworthy - and threadworthy.

Frankly, I have seen much more inane threads.

theyoungest said:
John Degenkolb and Michael Matthews spring to mind. And don't forget that Peter Sagan is the same age as Phinney.
Just to name another example,
Thomas Dekker at that same age had already beaten Lance Armstrong uphill in Algarve and beaten Fabian Cancellara in a prologue in Ster Elektrotoer. And won the Tirreno a year later. And then he lost his head.

Great expectations don't help these young riders most of the time..

A

Anonymous

benpounder said:
Actually I found the quip a bit over the top. First, Taylor Phinney looks to be a prodigy. Second, this is an english language site. And third, the fact that Phinney had been groomed (of late) by Armstrong's LiveStrong team, and chose not to sign with Armstrong's TRS makes this newsworthy - and threadworthy.

Frankly, I have seen much more inane threads.

i really dont like the word groomed. So many connitations

on the inane threads, i dont disagree. Ive started a few in my time, and mighty proud of them I am as well.

I just fear in a couple of years time there are going to be phinney scratched his nose, phinney buys new car, phinney goes to sleep threads everywhere and each april the forum is going to invaded by fanboys who think cycling only exists for four weeks in the spring. ;)

Mar 16, 2009
ellobodelmar.spaces.live.com
TeamSkyFans said:
I just fear in a couple of years time there are going to be phinney scratched his nose, phinney buys new car, phinney goes to sleep threads everywhere and each april the forum is going to invaded by fanboys who think cycling only exists for four weeks in the spring. ;)
It will be like deja vu all over again:eek:

tgsgirl said:
I do hope you realise there are other U23 riders out there who have signed at pro continental and even, gasp, pro tour teams. It's a crazy world out there, I know. Degenkolb signs for HTC, silence. Kump signs for Geox, silence. Matthews signs for Rabo, silence. Duarte signs for Geox, silence. Phinney signs for BMC and BAM, the forum explodes.

Duarte signed for Geox:eek:

Damn that is as big news as this. You are right, if Phinney wasnt American this wouldnt be as big an issue.

Oh well. Just thank God hes not dutch, and didnt sign for Rabo. We would have to open up a sub forum for it.

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:
What good is it to Cuddles that Phinney is on his team considering that when Cuddles goes for the Giro Phinney will be doing the ToC allong with the rest of the BMC first team bar Evans. ;)

Good point. I certainly hope BMC don't just send the B team to the Giro next year with Evans. He sure as hell could have done with a top pursuit rider like Phinney on the team for the first few stages of this year's Giro.

The Hitch said:
Duarte signed for Geox:eek:

Damn that is as big news as this. You are right, if Phinney wasnt American this wouldnt be as big an issue.

Oh well. Just thank God hes not dutch, and didnt sign for Rabo. We would have to open up a sub forum for it.
Yeah, really annoying, all those threads about the Dutch Rabo signings... in the order of Cyclingnews forum obsessions, anything Anglophone is still firmly at the top ;)

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
for a sec i just thought of the mini phyini dissing the shack in terms of the tex big deal announcement return to cycling in 2008. at that infamous press conference, he was surrounded by two people - dr. catlin as the symball of anti-doping and the mini phyni.as the symbol of american future

bath came to total naught. catlin discarded like a useless garbage shortly after he served the pr purpose and now taylor, after the kid realized there was no future on the team created for one purpose only - to promote an old ego.

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
I would guess he will be the highest paid neo-pro signed for 2011.

Maybe not.

What would be a good guess on salary for the kid?

A

Anonymous

So.... tell us about them!! Why they are great!

tgsgirl said:

Sing their praises, shout their virtues. Just don't criticise us if WE don't talk about them. Sorry, but I'm pretty ignorant on the subject of Kump and Degenklob and Duarte for Geox.

A

Anonymous

hmmmmm

TeamSkyFans said:
So everytime a neo-pro signs for a pro-continental team are we going to have a new thread?

just checked the rules. didn't see any prohibition.

"However, we had a chat with Lance, Bart Knaggs and Johan [Bruyneel] just to let them know that Jim had put in an offer and Lance had to leave half way because I think Senator Kerry was on the other line. I've tried to call, email and text and I've not really heard anything

by taylor phinney in

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/phinney-explains-decision-to-sign-with-bmc-racing-team

no wonder he left RS

phinney killed the radiostar!!! in the sense of lance being such father figure for trek-dieweak guys

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
TeamSkyFans said:
i really dont like the word groomed. So many connitations
Point ceded. I suspect (hope?) his parents have served as a strong bulkhead against the "easy" route.

Well, I've seen numerous comments that rival the infatuation and mindless (nationalistic?) devotion to many other riders. Sagan, Boassen-Hagen, Dekker, G. Thomas, for example. In fact, I remember a proprietor of a B&B in southern France a number of years ago convinced that Sylvain Chavanel was the second coming of Jacques Anquetil. We all have our cycling heros, and those who we wish would attain hero status.

But yeah, I understand your fear of another fanboy (and anti-fanboy) generating anglo rider.

Yep, well aware. I still don't understand why you seem so angry, but live and let live. I'm excited about BMC signing Phinney, but also excited about the other U23 riders you mentioned signing their first big contracts. I am a cycling fan, and I don't discriminate against riders based on the country of their origin. You could just avoid this thread if it bothers you so much.

tgsgirl said:

TRENDING THREADS