• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Taylor Phinney to Team BMC

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Mambo95 said:
Geraint Thomas

Track: Olympic gold medallist. One of the fastest pursuiters of all time.
Cobbles: Junior Paris-Roubaix winner, 2nd on the TdF cobbles stage
TT: A couple of top tens in TdF TTs

He's done all three in the seniors, which Phinney hasn't yet, and comes from just up the road from me, yet I'm not going to call him a phenomenon
Too late, dim beat you to it! ;) Hey we need a Geraint thread. If for no other reason than it's a cool name.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
tubularglue said:
am i to believe he is making a smart move moving from a sinking ship, to this ?

images

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/29/sports/cycling/29cycling.html

The officials Landis named as encouraging doping — including the former USA Cycling board president Jim Ochowicz, who is known as the “Godfather of American cycling” and the Swiss businessman Andy Rihs — are also gearing up for cycling’s most glamorous event. Ochowicz and Rihs are co-owners of the BMC Racing team, which will compete in its first Tour.

Ochowicz, who in 1986 took the first American team to the Tour de France, said Monday by telephone that he had not been contacted by investigators and that the federal fraud inquiry did not worry him.

“It has no effect on me whatsoever,” he said from BMC Racing’s European headquarters in Belgium. He added that his initial reaction to Landis’s claims had not changed. The allegations against him were untrue, unfounded and unproven, said Ochowicz, who is one of Armstrong’s closest friends.
t.glue. You need to read the internet for that info.? common knowledge hmmp

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Moose McKnuckles said:
I like Phinney a lot more now that he's extricated himself from the slime of Armstrong and Bruyneel.

Is BMC/Phonak really a step up?

I know people hate Lance... but isn't the team he's going to one of the few that might be considered as bad or worse from a doping/corrupting the sport angle?

Ochowicz and Rihs aren't exactly being left out of the doping investigation Lance and Bruyneel are involved in.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
This is what I do not understand. Everyone here hates Armstrong. Radio Shack will close down as a sponsor at the end of 2011. Taylor Phinney will never have to get a real job ever. BMC, Ochowicz Ris well you conspiracy theorists do your wiki magic.

Dream on about cleanliness just dream on.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
tubularglue said:
am i to believe he is making a smart move moving from a sinking ship, to this ?

images

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/29/sports/cycling/29cycling.html

The officials Landis named as encouraging doping — including the former USA Cycling board president Jim Ochowicz, who is known as the “Godfather of American cycling” and the Swiss businessman Andy Rihs — are also gearing up for cycling’s most glamorous event. Ochowicz and Rihs are co-owners of the BMC Racing team, which will compete in its first Tour.

Ochowicz, who in 1986 took the first American team to the Tour de France, said Monday by telephone that he had not been contacted by investigators and that the federal fraud inquiry did not worry him.

“It has no effect on me whatsoever,” he said from BMC Racing’s European headquarters in Belgium. He added that his initial reaction to Landis’s claims had not changed. The allegations against him were untrue, unfounded and unproven, said Ochowicz, who is one of Armstrong’s closest friends.

Lelangue, Ochowicz and Rihs' implications are going to be much harder to prove.

I don't see any of you making a big deal about Contador moving with Riis who is a former doper, DS of Basso and Contador being involved with Puerto. We all seem to have very selective memory. He wasn't moving to a less implicated or cleaner team.
Anyway lets leave this to another thread.

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:

I don't see any of you making a big deal about Contador moving with Riis who is a former doper, DS of Basso and Contador being involved with Puerto. We all seem to have very selective memory. He wasn't moving to a less implicated or cleaner team.

I have no problem with him going to BMC. I rather like the team.

But I can't help but comment when people celebrate because he's not going to the "evil doping Radioshack team"... instead going to a Rihs-Ochowicz team. I'd think it was just as hypocritical if he was going ot Riis's team.

It's cycling people. If you really want to make doping your big thing when it comes to choosing who to cheer for... just realize that there aren't many teams out there that will be safe for you to support. They're pretty much all tainted on some level.

Jul 16, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
They had a very good classics team this year which failed and now they have an awesome team. name a better cobbled classics team in history if you include cancellara...

Over the course of the forum you appear to be a well rounded person of sound mind.

Then ... the avatar appears and the foot note......

"Your honour, the prosecution seeks more time to gather further evidence against the defendant in its case"

:mad:

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Actually i have found that many on this forum, like myself have absolutely no heroes in cycling. We love the sport, but at the end of the day, see the riders as just athletes looking for personal glory.

And nation wise, this forum is quite unpatriotic - which is a good thing. Those in America generally hate Lance, those in Britain are not Team Sky or Cav fanboys, and in some cases dislike both. With the exception of a few Cuddles fan boys the Australian posters post impartially as well. The Dutch posters generaly love Rabo but mock them more often than not.

So in other words we are a well rounded lot. I will buy the first round.

auscyclefan94 said:

Pretty much every DS is a former doper, Bruyneel/Armstrong is just from the slimiest end of the spectrum.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
flicker said:
This is what I do not understand. Everyone here hates Armstrong. Radio Shack will close down as a sponsor at the end of 2011. Taylor Phinney will never have to get a real job ever. BMC, Ochowicz Ris well you conspiracy theorists do your wiki magic.

Dream on about cleanliness just dream on.

Hate is a strong word but you are right about his exposure to Ochowicz and Ris. That's why I said he'd have to endure the period of exposure for teammates (and team administrator's) prior infractions before he'd be set to pursue a clean future. From an endorsement perspective he is better off at BMC than the USS Radioshack, heading for the iceberg. Is it absolutely great? No. Where else could an American kid with little World experience go?

Aug 1, 2009
Visit site
Lance had to leave half way because I think Senator Kerry was on the other line. I've tried to call, email and text and I've not really heard anything.

That is hilarious, Toto could not have made that up! What a cliché.

I think Phinney made a wise decision. I had written him off as Lance's new plaything, but now it seems he might be a sensible guy after all.

Apr 8, 2009
Visit site
HL2037 said:
That is hilarious, Toto could not have made that up! What a cliché.

I think Phinney made a wise decision. I had written him off as Lance's new plaything, but now it seems he might be a sensible guy after all.

yeh i think its called growing up

i remember taylors blog about when he stayed at lances house and was like "omfg lance is gonna ruin this kid"

very good move. even if BMC dont win much he will get heaps of good exposure and be a destroyer soon enough

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Interesting comment on Johanbruyneel.com

It wasn't for a lack of trying on Bruyneel's part. "I met with Taylor at the Tour de l'Avenir to talk with him one-on-one." What the two talked won't be making any headlines. "Out of respect to Taylor and his new team, BMC, I won't reveal the details of that discussion."

phinney said
What it came down to, for me, was a mental security. Looking forward to the Olympics, I want to know that in the next two years and beyond I will not have to worry about things like new bikes, and new contracts. With RadioShack there was a question, it came down to what happens after next year, and during an Olympic year I don’t want to have to change anything,

It seems to me that Bruyneel has said that BMC is not that secure either. JB does have a point but Radioshack is a lot more volatile.

A

Anonymous

pedaling squares said:
Too late, dim beat you to it! ;) Hey we need a Geraint thread. If for no other reason than it's a cool name.

But the point he made is a very good one :D

Mambo95 said:
Geraint Thomas

Track: Olympic gold medallist. One of the fastest pursuiters of all time.
Cobbles: Junior Paris-Roubaix winner, 2nd on the TdF cobbles stage
TT: A couple of top tens in TdF TTs

He's done all three in the seniors, which Phinney hasn't yet, and comes from just up the road from me, yet I'm not going to call him a phenomenon

top post right there.

Bare in mind, that the TDF gc standings after stage 3 (considering 1 was a sprint and 2 was nullified) were basically a summary of riders cobbled skills and tt skills together.

Thomas was 2nd in the gc behind arguably the greatest cobbles - tt rider of all time.

I somehow think Cancellara will end up with the Schleck's team with his old mates. They must have a healthy bankroll if it actually happens. As for BMC, I think it is a win win for the team and for Phinney who will have plenty of experienced riders to guide him and help him develop.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Hugh Januss said:
Interesting contrast between Lance refusing to speak to a 20 year old kid because he didn't sign with Lance's team and the story about Vino and Contador getting together for a street race even though Alberto has changed teams. Lance must be the most vindictive guy in the pro peloton.

Excellent point, and not just because it's really all about Vino. :D

Vino and Contador apparently spent several days together - there are pictures of them on Vino's FB making many public appearances - they seemed at the least cordial and really quite friendly.

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
the_kman said:
yeh i think its called growing up

i remember taylors blog about when he stayed at lances house and was like "omfg lance is gonna ruin this kid"

very good move. even if BMC dont win much he will get heaps of good exposure and be a destroyer soon enough

Now what does Ben King do?

TRENDING THREADS