• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

TdF '17 - stage 5: Vittel>La Planche des Belles Filles 160km

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will win the stage?

• Chris Froome

Votes: 30 18.8%
  • Richie Porte

Votes: 51 31.9%
  • Nairo Quintana

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • Alberto Contador

Votes: 14 8.8%
  • Fabio Aru

Votes: 16 10.0%
  • Jakob Fuglsang

Votes: 5 3.1%
  • Dan Martin

Votes: 12 7.5%
  • Romain Bardet

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • None of the above

Votes: 12 7.5%
  • Vino-option

Votes: 8 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: Re:

Rollthedice said:
bob.a.feet said:
If most of the GC guys are within 1:30 of Froome at the end of this stage, then I think we will be in for a good race.

I think it will be over with such a difference, you can add at least 45 more seconds in the last ITT. Where can anybody take 2 min plus on Froome on this parcours?
Stage 17 and 18 could be problematic for Froome if his form declines in the third week.

Isn't this one of these climbs that can be a bit overanalysed because it's shortish and the 20% finish, but ultimately, it's one where the strongest climber should win? This seems to me like the kind of of 15-25 minute effort like Monte Serra or Sa Calobra which the top climbers use as training benchmarks for their form.

Re:

DFA123 said:
Isn't this one of these climbs that can be a bit overanalysed because it's shortish and the 20% finish, but ultimately, it's one where the strongest climber should win? This seems to me like the kind of of 15-25 minute effort like Monte Serra or Sa Calobra which the top climbers use as training benchmarks for their form.
It could be a straight TT up the climb like Nibali

2012 was an underrated full *** by Froome, rode most people off his wheel half the climb pulling for Wiggo then still managed to outsprint Cadel, Nibali etc. Too short to do any serious damage, I expect a record time though with skys current crop

Re:

TomLPC said:
2012 was an underrated full *** by Froome, rode most people off his wheel half the climb pulling for Wiggo then still managed to outsprint Cadel, Nibali etc. Too short to do any serious damage, I expect a record time though with skys current crop
Froome pumped a flèche wallone and TDF winner after setting the pace. I feel like if he wasn't protecting Wiggins he would have gone harder and dropped taaramme and Nibali earlier and Wiggins with 1km to go and it would have been 1v1 with Evans and be still would have pulled 20 on him. Froome was barely going that day

Brullnux said:
DFA123 said:
It could be a straight TT up the climb like Nibali
I think it probably will be. It's one of the few climbs in the race where the Sky train can only be of limited assistance, due to the gradients. So if Porte, Quintana, Aru or whoever else want to gain time back and to see if Froome really is vulnerable, then going early here is surely the best option.

Re:

Jericho said:
Does Bora - Hansgrohe stay in the race? I'd hate to see Majka get removed
Don't see why the whole team would be excluded. In fact, to paraphase forum favourite Carlton Kirby; "Majka may not exactly be smiling at hearing of Sagan's DQ, but, well... he'll be smiling". A lot more resources on hand for him now!

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Re:

AlexNYC said:
If Froome wins this with more than 20s to the next GC rider, Le Tour is over for all intents and purposes save an accident.

This is one of Froome's best stages though. I think if he's not gaining 20+ over other riders he himself will struggle later on.

So my prediction is a Froome win and everyone to say Tour is over ...

DFA123 said:
Jericho said:
Does Bora - Hansgrohe stay in the race? I'd hate to see Majka get removed
Don't see why the whole team would be excluded. In fact, to paraphase forum favourite Carlton Kirby; "Majka may not exactly be smiling at hearing of Sagan's DQ, but, well... he'll be smiling". A lot more resources on hand for him now!

The team won't be DQ'd, but I fear they may just pull out