• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

TdF '17 - stage 5: Vittel>La Planche des Belles Filles 160km

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will win the stage?

• Chris Froome

Votes: 30 18.8%
  • Richie Porte

Votes: 51 31.9%
  • Nairo Quintana

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • Alberto Contador

Votes: 14 8.8%
  • Fabio Aru

Votes: 16 10.0%
  • Jakob Fuglsang

Votes: 5 3.1%
  • Dan Martin

Votes: 12 7.5%
  • Romain Bardet

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • None of the above

Votes: 12 7.5%
  • Vino-option

Votes: 8 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: Re:

Jericho said:
DFA123 said:
Jericho said:
Does Bora - Hansgrohe stay in the race? I'd hate to see Majka get removed
Don't see why the whole team would be excluded. In fact, to paraphase forum favourite Carlton Kirby; "Majka may not exactly be smiling at hearing of Sagan's DQ, but, well... he'll be smiling". A lot more resources on hand for him now!

The team won't be DQ'd, but I fear they may just pull out
I don't see why they would. It's not going to change anything, it would just be doubling down the punishment on themselves. Majka could still do a lot in this race.

DFA123 said:
Jericho said:
DFA123 said:
Jericho said:
Don't see why the whole team would be excluded. In fact, to paraphase forum favourite Carlton Kirby; "Majka may not exactly be smiling at hearing of Sagan's DQ, but, well... he'll be smiling". A lot more resources on hand for him now!

The team won't be DQ'd, but I fear they may just pull out
I don't see why they would. It's not going to change anything, it would just be doubling down the punishment on themselves. Majka could still do a lot in this race.

agree. It would be madness for them to pull out.

TheYouyou7 said:
Escarabajo said:
Can the people that say terrible stage for stage 5 explain why?

There are so many climbs in the area (eg 2014 stage) and they only managed to put that 3rd cat bs climb...
Ok, thanks.

If the reason is why is not harder then I don't think that is a big reason because is only stage 5. You can accuse the organizers of how crappy the rest of the route is but not this one IMHO.

Re:

Escarabajo said:
Can the people that say terrible stage for stage 5 explain why?
Probably because of the fact that the downhill to Planches Filles will be an insane and extremely dangerous drag race. Throw one or even two decent climbs in there beforehand and you make sure that won't happen as the rouleurs are dropped at that point and its much more natural selection.

That, and the fact that its usually more entertaining when you have a couple of climbs beforehand. I don't think anyone is asking for a 2014-design (go look that stage up), but a little more than this had been nice. Especially since ASO is promoting their race by going through all 5 mountain ranges which they technically are, but yeah.

Re: TdF '17 - stage 5: Vittel>La Planche des Belles Filles 1

I would like Prudhomme except for the fact that he designs crappy routes. Putting an MTF finish this early could turn this into a procession and destroy any suspense without the climbs later on to blow the race apart.

perico said:
I would like Prudhomme except for the fact that he designs crappy routes. Putting an MTF finish this early could turn this into a procession and destroy any suspense without the climbs later on to blow the race apart.
Thats entirely the wrong way going about that IMO. Early selection is great for races as long as they don't kill the race (but I think you should take that chance), but this climb isn't hard enough for that. Its seconds, not minutes.

May 5, 2017
Visit site

Valv.Piti said:
perico said:
Thats entirely the wrong way going about that IMO. Early selection is great for races as long as they don't kill the race (but I think you should take that chance), but this climb isn't hard enough for that. Its seconds, not minutes.

There are so few REAL mountain stages this year this one will count. So many stages where the big mountain is 30-40 kms away from the finish lines. All these stages will be for nought. Good opportunities for the climbers that are a bit down in the GC to win a stage.

I predict Froome will put 2 minutes on everyone . that way, i will be able to forget about the Tour.

wolvie15 said:
Froome will win.

The Tour is over since stage 1.

And my doubts about the Sky team are reignited. The guy that could not follow an old lady in the Dauphiné. The guy who lost 30 seconds on a TT 3 weeks ago is now putting over 30 seconds to the same people ?

I have renewed doubts. No proofs but , well we'll see in 10 years.

Hold your ammo. The stage 1 TT was wet and Froome took more risks, he's won 3 Tours and has nothing to lose. He is obviously stronger than the Dauphine but I am hopeful we still see a contest, at least with Porte.

DFA123 said:
Jericho said:
Carlton would be better of shutting up about teammates smiling at other's misfortune.

wolvie15 said:
Valv.Piti said:
perico said:

There are so few REAL mountain stages this year this one will count. So many stages where the big mountain is 30-40 kms away from the finish lines. All these stages will be for nought. Good opportunities for the climbers that are a bit down in the GC to win a stage.

I predict Froome will put 2 minutes on everyone . that way, i will be able to forget about the Tour.
I also hope Froome (or Porte) will nuke the others back to Germany just so I can say to myself there was no chance in hell Valverde could have won. :p

There is a whisker of a chance that a break will get away, but I think Sky and BMC will be trying to set up a stage win here. The gaps between the main GC contenders won't be great, but it will be an indication of who is strong. I'll go for a reconstruction of the 2012 stage

1. Froome
2. Little Richard
3. G (he'll have the freedom to ride for himself tomorrow and the yellow jersey sometimes works wonders for a while)

The likelihood is that Sky go nuts, pretty much everyone gets dropped and we end up with Froome v Porte for the win, possibly Quintana too depending on hw the Giro effected him.

There's a smaller chance that it isn't raced in absolute berserk mode and there's still a group of ten at the flame rouge, in which case Martin probably wins.

Vasilis said:
hazaran said:
Son of Amsterhammer said:
TJVG said this is Pinot's home climb.....

Didn't help him in 2012.
Back then Pinot didn't know he was riding for GC.
In '12, Tibopino finished 15th iirc, but started the climb way too far. In '14, he finished 2nd. It's in his backyard. He knows that climb inside and out. Without Chevreres before PDBF, he loses a little bit of his advantage, i.e. reducing the size of the field, being better placed at the bottom...not sure if he goes for it, although it's too tempting. But is he 100%? I doubt it. Still, he can be a factor.

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site

Red Rick said:
SeriousSam said:
There's nothing quite like the first MTF of the Tour. Probably my favourite cycling day each year.
And the day the Tour that took away all tension for 4 years straight between 2012 and 2015.

The stage itself though is usually great. What it implies for the rest of the race however ...