• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

TDF 2011 Lineup Announced // No Geox - Will Menchov leave? Will Geox fold?

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Menchov will

• Move to other team (not Astana)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I hope Menchov wins the Giro this year then, or Sastre(that would be a **** you to the Schlecks) :)

I don't know why I like Menchov as he isn't exactly an exciting cyclist and he doesn't really have a reputation of being clean, but I always root for him in GTs(that don't include Contador)

I guess in some way he reminds me a little bit of Indurain.

El Pistolero said:
I don't know why I like Menchov as he isn't exactly an exciting cyclist and he doesn't really have a reputation of being clean, but I always root for him in GTs(that don't include Contador)

I think this too. Him and Di Luca actually are my favourite GT riders. Less so Di Luca. And Sastre, after watching Overcoming a few years back.

Aug 11, 2009
Visit site
theswordsman said:
Menchov says he likes Geox...

That's what he says, but I think what he means is 'I like what Geox pays me.'

Geox wouldn't appear to be in breach of their contract with Menchov, so he can't just leave. On the other hand, I doubt that too many teams can afford to buy out Menchov's contract and still pay him what Geox pays. Especially given that Gianetti should be wanting to charge a ton for Menchov to offset the fact that losing a star rider would only confirm widespread suspicions that the whole Geox ship is on the way down.

Aug 11, 2009
Visit site
El Pistolero said:

Does your appreciation for Menchov have anything to do with the fact that he is one seriously tough SOB?

I got a huge kick out of seeing him rip himself apart to keep an attacking DiLuca in check at the 2009 Giro. Awesome battle between two closely-matched riders with very different styles. Even then, the Santuccione rumors (re: DiLuca) and Vienna doping ring rumors (re: Menchov) were out there for anyone who cared to pay attention. Still, awesome battle at the Giro.

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site

DAOTEC

BANNED
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
reposition

Poll update
Continue in GEOX and try to win giro and Vuelta 19 - 63.33%
Continue in GEOX and try just the Giro helping Sastre in Vuelta 3 - 10.00%
Move to Astana because Contador will be banned 4 - 13.33%
Move to other team (not Astana) 4 - 13.33%

Russian cyclist – 3rd Tour, 1st Giro – may leave Geox for Saxo Bank

Friday, January 28, 2011 | Read more: http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/7...ontadors-spot-at-Saxo-Bank.aspx#ixzz1CKMj2DKu

Well ?

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
craig1985 said:
So who would hand over the cash to to get Menchov out of his contract? Menchov or Riis?

Menchov, because he is breaking the contract. Same with Cadel. He had to buy out his remaining year of his contract with Lotto so he could ride with BMC.

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Is there a clausule that says that the rider has to give back part of the money of his contract if he is tested positive or something like that?

mmmmm I can see Menchov going to SBS... Contador's case will be loooooong :(

but Menchov - Riis working together??? I dnt know that could be real boring... No attacks ever...

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Perhaps Menchov has a clause in his contract that he could disband the contract if certain invites were not attained by the team

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
luckyboy said:
Can't see where that money is coming from.

The money that was set aside for Cancellara's salary now that Fabian is gone, plus the severance fee that Leopard paid to get him.

The question isn't about money. It's about Geox and Menchov's willingness.

TRENDING THREADS