• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

TDF 2011 Lineup Announced // No Geox - Will Menchov leave? Will Geox fold?

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Menchov will

• Move to other team (not Astana)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
ergmonkey said:
I'm not so sure about this one yet. Sure, Sastre is talking about targeting the Giro, but not getting invited to Tirreno-Adriatico is a pretty inauspicious beginning to any proposed Giro bid.

Ugh, if they don't get invited to the Giro then it officially sucks and the team may as well fold (as it would seem they are blacklisted...).

Aug 11, 2009
Visit site
Ferminal said:
Ugh, if they don't get invited to the Giro then it officially sucks and the team may as well fold (as it would seem they are blacklisted...).

Well, if you don't already find this depressing enough, consider this:

assuming Sastre planned to enter three grand tours this season (per usual), he will have missed more planned GT starts at Geox than DiLuca missed during his entire abbreviated doping ban.

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Huh?

2 totaly different OP's. 2 totaly different threads. Maybe you meant TSF's 2011 GT wildcard thread?

Sorry Hitch, I should have said 2 threads sprouted up within minutes, both starting their OP from a heavily Geox related angle, after they were confirmed to miss out on a TdF wild card, splitting a similarly themed discussion (not totally different ones) in two.

I judged it better to merge the two to focus the attention, under a responses to the announcement umbrella. I'm not regretting that.

I know it cost you a thread. Take it like a man :D

Francois the Postman said:
Sorry Hitch, I should have said 2 threads sprouted up within minutes, both starting their OP from a heavily Geox related angle, after they were confirmed to miss out on a TdF wild card, splitting a similarly themed discussion (not totally different ones) in two.

I judged it better to merge the two to focus the attention, under a responses to the announcement umbrella. I'm not regretting that.

I know it cost you a thread. Take it like a man :D

Its not the thread. I have so many its an embarrasment. (Btw while were on this, youd really be doing me a favour if you could trim about 1000 posts off my post count ;))

Its the effort of having to read through this thread without knowing if the next post is going to address my question or not.

Soooo much effort

May 6, 2009
Visit site
You guys and girls can all whinge all you like about ASO, but I'll bet $10 with any of you lot that you'll still watch Roubaix, Liege, the Tour etc.

EDIT: At the end of the day, I would agree wholeheartedly with Libertine, it's a French race and they should be able to choose whoever they like. Yes I would of included Geox as well, but they weren't, so good luck to Saur, I hope they have a man in almost every break that goes. But I think the biggest flaw is having to include every WT team, and in all honesty, would we really miss a team like Lampre at the Tour?

craig1985 said:
At the end of the day, I would agree wholeheartedly with Libertine, it's a French race and they should be able to choose whoever they like. Yes I would of included Geox as well, but they weren't, so good luck to Saur, I hope they have a man in almost every break that goes. But I think the biggest flaw is having to include every WT team, and in all honesty, would we really miss a team like Lampre at the Tour?

Yeah, the organisers really folded to the UCI there. Leaving out the French teams, Lampre and Saxo are both weaker than Geox.

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Does Menchov have time? Who will take him. Radioshack? Will he go?
Astana, hopefully.

They have been giving him commercially better offer, but he chose GEOX instead. He might have second thoughts now.

Katusha, eh, no. With all that mud-slinging following their talks coming from both sides, i don't see it coming.

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
craig1985 said:
would we really miss a team like Lampre at the Tour?

eh eh eh... you are entering a dangerous place there... after this desicion of ASO im just going to watch Le Tour to see Alejet... No Contador, No Menchov, Il Cobra is going for Il SuperGiro... so AleJet is my last hope with this tour... so Leave Lampre alone! hahahaha

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
palmerq said:
that would be a great idea for everyone :cool: well except geox :S... I really hope Menchov makes it to the tdf though, if he is on top form he could make a good challenge for victory and i would have him as my joint favourite for 2nd place behind little schleck.

Definetly! It's always fun to see if Menchov has brought his A-game or if he's going to dissolve on the first mountain-stage.
It's like watching an experiment with rats, the preperation can be the same but the outcome can be totally different.

I don't see the ASO or the French as responsible for Geox's predicament.

This debate has been running since speculation began as to who, how and why licences to enter the "World Tour" were to be handed out.
What was spoken of then, by those who bemoaned the exclusion of Geox, has come home to roost.
The UCI and McQ, with their opaque, selection process enigma, who are to blame.
Also, as in 2006, they have opted for too many teams, inflicting a closed shop on teams better suited in some cases, to compete for Grand Tour general classment.

Now we have Tirreno-Adriatico announcing the standard, 20 team line up. Add last years winner's team and there is the grand total of ONE wildcard.
This will be the pattern for the rest of the season.

Yes, Geox could end up the Unibet of 2011, since it is basically the same inflexible structure and rules being thrust down race organizer's throats.

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
Moose McKnuckles said:
This whole "French teams stink" crap has to stop. It's utterly silly. Who doesn't stink? The Spanish teams? The same ones full of banned riders? Italian teams like Liquigas with DiLuca and now Basso?

Saunier Duval with their awesome climbers rocking the Giro, Tour, and Fuentes' medicine cabinets?

Look at who beats these French teams day in and day out. Want to learn more about these great teams' riders?
Go visit the clinic.

I think we need a new definition of "stink" other than "getting routinely worked over by dopers".

That's amazing. I always thought the French were less good because a good part of their cycling culture and amateur races reside in areas that lend themselves more to a "baroudeur" or "rouleur" type rider, rather than Italy or Spain where they have kids racing up mountains in the heat day after day. Oh where is Richard Virenque when you need him!

Oct 31, 2010
Visit site
I'm pretty gutted for GEOX.. I've always been a huge fan of Sastres and him joining the GEOX camp I thought would clean up what was once a rather sour team.. He's brought some credability to a team that was once one of the main protaganists of "old skool" practacies. But he's humble enough to know that at some point Ginetti will move on and hopefull he'll take over, then, then I'll be a huge fan, until then I'll support him and Menc' but the back office stuff I can ignore, for the time being.

As for T-A, thats a mighty fine race, again gutted for GEOX not being in it but hey ho..

As for the TdF, well I'm in favour of French Teams being pulled into it, glad the some PCont's have a chance to shine in the light, and hope to see some French spirit barradour style riding to what has been at time a rather predictable TdF.

So, GEOX, gutted for them, ASO well done for keeping a French race French'ish..

May 8, 2009
Visit site
Will Menchov move?

No Contador and no previous TdF winner in the next TdF....with such a great opportunity for winning the TdF, (probably the last one) will Menchov force a movement to other team? Is it possible given the bad economy and the internal problems of GEOX?

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
I like it how menchov is ruled out of the tour for his coward racing tactis for years. I hate him almost more than the schlecks

Pffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffft.

[edit] Re: the poll, Contador isn't on Astana anymore. I'm sort of thinking Astana is a more likely destination than Saxo Bank though. I don't see how Riis could either afford both Menchov and Contador or get his money back for Contador.

adamski101 said:
i stronly suspect that ASO still not a fan of Gianetti following on from Saunier Duval in 2008, and they only reason Footon got in last year was because they were Pro-Tour, so this year ASO had their get out clause.

Technically, it was a separate agreement whereby the teams that were ProTour in 2008 would be guaranteed a place that got Footon in last year. Sky, Katusha, Garmin and RadioShack were all ProTour in 2010, but were wild-cards in the 2010 Tour

Menchov has been silent so far (well, within one day of the announcements of the big startlists, anyway) but I'm sure we'll hear from him once he's had a bit of a think. I think his silence thus far speaks volumes, while Sastre jumped straight in to clarify his position. Saxo or Astana?

L'arriviste said:
Menchov has been silent so far

Actually, he made a comment:

http://velolive.com/velo_news/1815-denis-menshov-reshenie-aso-ne-stalo-neozhidannostyu.html

Google translation:

Yesterday brought a sensation - the team of Denis Menshov and Carlos Sastre - Geox-TMC - has not received an invitation to the Tour de France 2011. Leadership team and Carlos Sastre has voiced his disappointment the decision of the organizers of the large loop, it was the turn of Denis talk about their reactions. "At this news, I reacted well, - commented Denis specifically for VeloLIVE.com. - Because it was no surprise, we have been aware that this is problematic, which in our plans for ASO. What further plans? Wait how will conduct its business RCS. If invited, I'll be ready for the Giro and the Vuelta. "
And the team Geox-TMC, and fans can only wait for the decision Angelo Dzomenyana.

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Contador didnt switch teams to defend his jersey in 07, but then he had less time. We are still in the off season kind of. Few months till serious racing starts. Does Menchov have time? Who will take him. Radioshack? Will he go?

And if so does Geox then fold?

Radio Shack would be interesting. good call
if at all