• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

TDF 2012: Titans Collide. Dennis Menchov Versus Cadel Evans...possible rivalry.

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Dekker_Tifosi said:
yeah kinda. in top form i think they are eachother equal in TT, in a long TT gesink slightly better in a short TT Nibali slightly better. Also depends on how technical the short itt is.

There may also be the factor of Nibali perhaps improving more the tt recently, whereas Gesink was great to start with, as the top 10 in olympics shows.

Gesinks tt is underated, because when he is awful he is truly awful, but when he is on tt form, he can be a very good tter.

Personally I expect Nibali to slightly out tt Gesink in the Tour, but neither is going to have it as a strengh and both will lose a few minutes to Wiggins Evans Menchov, 1 or 2 less to Sanchez, and gain on Rolland VDB and i think Andy too.

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
Galic Ho said:
In Australia right now? Hell no. I loath our Federal Govt. Worst one in history. Worst Prime Minister in History. Ironically the last time their opposition were in power (2007) the best govt in living memory and PM we've ever had were voted out for a bunch of muppets.

I know it's a bit far-fetched, but you wouldn't perhaps be prone to hyperbole now and then, would you?

Galic Ho said:
It'll be even funnier if a team mate beats him. Rogers racing? How about Froome? Gosh, what about Richie Porte? Now that would be rich. :p

Sky have a solid gold winner, goes by the nickname Frodo. Cav should have the entire backing of the team. Tell Brad, he can always take on Contador in the Vuelta when the Tour doesn't go to shape. See how his climbing legs go there against a guy who can time trial and beat the world champion at the time in the decisive Tour chrono.:eek: Brad should have been focusing on the Olympics, something he has a proven record in. Oh, but then that would mean his super inflated salary wouldn't be justifiable...my bad. Of course, focus on the thing you dream about and have never shown form for which one can rationally consider you winning. Ricco has about as much chance of having that 12 year ban being overturned as Bradley Wiggins has of winning the Tour. It'd take a miracle. Namely every major rival crashing out. Not going to happen.

He will still probably loose to Karpets.

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
Leave politics out of this thread, please. There is a thread in General for that.

Wiggo had bad luck last year. I'd say he would have top 5'd then. I do hope Wiggo is in top form for the Tour, hasn't peaked too early. Evans v Menchov v Wiggo in ITT will make it very interesting, instead of a forgone conclusion.

Menchov's major disadvantage at this point is his team. SKY and BMC are much stronger. Sky are looking good ATM.

eljimberino said:
Leave politics out of this thread, please. There is a thread in General for that.

Wiggo had bad luck last year. I'd say he would have top 5'd then. I do hope Wiggo is in top form for the Tour, hasn't peaked too early. Evans v Menchov v Wiggo in ITT will make it very interesting, instead of a forgone conclusion.

Menchov's major disadvantage at this point is his team. SKY and BMC are much stronger. Sky are looking good ATM.

Only a disadvantage if there are crashes or splits. Otherwise he just follows wheels 21 days.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Are you really sure of this?
headtoheadgesinknibbs.png

ofcourse skip the TTT's (so 5-3). But still, it isn't even certain Nibali would beat Gesink. Although Gesink has been crappy this year all around (or actually, only his TT has been decent so far).

Any such comparisons are quite conditional, you know. The guys are at too different levels of motivation, preparedness etc. during the season. Yes, the numbers are for Gesink. But the TdF 40+k TT is an absolutely special category and I won't discuss.. I just wanted to say TT's won't help Nibali to get podium or top-5. They will only distance him from that.

&quot said:
In what world is Wigans a higher favourite than Cadel Evans? Or Dennis Menchov? Let alone he compare to Vincenzo Nibali? All these men have cajones. Big ones. They've taken on giants in the world of cycling and beaten them. Wigans biggest wins were in races most top GC riders used as training runs.
What's the difference? We need something to make predictions and have nothing but the results of this season. At that, they were equal climbers in their only mutual battle in the 2009 Tour and since then Wiggo got stronger. Wiggins will win a lot in TT's whereas Nibali is very limited in ability to gain the time on the climbs considering his overly defensive style.

The fact that for his entire GT career Nibali has demostrated the only downhill raid (when the circumstances and the natural course of the race allowed him to do that and we all know what it was worth the day after) and some folks operate with it as a bit of a help in the fight for the podium truly makes me laugh. You rate Nibali higher than Andy and get surprised that people rate Wiggins way higher than Nibali?? LOL. :)

just the Dauphine, a race he flogged himself to win and his rivals you conveniently failed to note used as a meagre training ride.
I think, the Tour contenders never ride Dauphine full blast and have a certain reserve of form in stock as they go there to prepare for the Tour rather than to win at any cost. If a rider is not Moreau or Valverde, he always prefers to sacrifice Dauphine feeling that it may prevent him from showing the best possible result in July. I don't understand why one thinks that Wiggo reached his peak too early last year. Does Wiggins need an absolute peak to win Dauphine? NO.

Galic Ho said:
Why? Take Evans for example. He was forced to ride the 2010 Giro and have an early season so BMC could get a Tour invite. Evans was in yellow when the day he crashed. He'd arguably have podiumed that race.
Personally I'd like to see Roland or Voeckler make the podium.

I would like them to go well in this TDF too but i doubt it with the ITT's.

Shleck will finish higher than Rolland and Voeckler might not get as much freedom ( though at the Ardennes this year he did great ).

Valid points with Wiggins but maybe a bit too harsh ( Samu and Andy have never won either ) yet they still could.

Glad to see someone agrees with me about Evans probably podiuming in 2010.

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
Galic Ho said:
The big deal was the most spectacular stage of any Tour since 2007, you thought Wiggins pulled 90 seconds over 8km on his rivals. Big names. Evans, Kloden and Armstrong. Evans was a basket case in 2009. He was off form. Massive issues were unfolding at Lotto. Take a few days later, Evans was riding with the Groupetto. The Autobus. Perhaps you forgot this? Or how about what Kloden and Armstong did on stage 17?

IMO, Wiggins best form was in 2009 in a GT. Ironically and sadly it's been noted for a very long time round this forum, 2009 involved a lot of soft pedalling for Armstrongs benefit. Hence Wiggins less than impressive 2010 and also by merit Armstrong. Yes he has improved, quite a lot. But what is your aim as a rider? Your preparation? Then compare to your rivals. Winning the Dauphine ahead of Cadel showed nothing. It was very clear Cadel was aiming for the Tour last year. Every race he had to show form he did and naturally he won. Cadel learnt that very vital thing needed to back his evident talent. Timing. You get it wrong on a stage and worse, throughout a season, you can leave with nothing. Evans had the form in 2010, but his timing was off because he had to race events for the team to get invites. Events he eliminated in 2011 and thus received his due reward...he won a lot of big races.

Wiggins would be best served building up to the Tour, not winning Paris Nice and the Dauphine BECAUSE he hasn't ever dazzled at the Tour when it was his major objective. Normally I would say race hard, go for broke, especially with Andy Schleck, but Wiggins doesn't have a shred of the overall talent Andy has. He has a portion in one category. A portion that only comes into play with a parcours like this years. That's not a strength you can bank a win on. You still have to make up the difference in the other field. One cannot sit on blindly and think they can get lucky and not improve their weak spot simply because some extra ITT km's get thrown in. Doesn't happen. Unless Wiggins climbing improves by a major factor, I mean to the degree Cobo improved last year, he won't win the Tour.

That's not picking on him. Certainly not saying he didn't deserve his wins in other races, but quantifying them in relation to his rivals efforts shows one thing. He's not favourite, no manner of wins before hand can conclude that he will reverse history. I don't think he is even warranted an assumed podium spot. God help him if Basso or Scarponi were at the Tour.

I don't even know what you just said.

To summarise your arguments:

1. Being beaten by Wiggins up a climb doesn't count unless it's over 90 seconds. Also, it doesn't count if it was soft pedaled, even if you can't keep up with Wiggins during the soft pedaled pace.

2. Winning prep races is important, except when Wiggins does it.

3. Comparing yourself to rivals in prep races is valuable, except when Wiggins wins.

4. Overdoing it early season can ruin your Tour, and Wiggins has over done it. But Wiggins 2010 failure wasn't because he overdid it, even though he overdid it. And is overdoing it again this year.

5. When Wiggins win he's on top-form, and others aren't. When Wiggins loses he's on top-form and just sucks.

6. Wiggins hasn't improved since 2009, and hasn't even tried to. He just sits on and hopes.

Accurate representation of that mass of contradictions?

Galic Ho said:
Gosh, if Andy Schleck and team try hard turn up with their heads screwed on properly Wigans and Sky could be seriously railed in the mountains. They have nobody who can match what those men can throw out if they get their act together.

He will actually have quite a strong team for the mountains. Logically Froome and Porte. Rogers, Zandio and maybe even Uran will also be in it.

BMC will also do the same role in the mountains as Sky.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
madly defensive if we say about high mountains. surving and only surviving. there's nothing to discuss about. that's a common truth. why? i'm saying about gt's. only gts have sterling high mountain stages giving an adequate food for thinking.

airstream said:
madly defensive if we say about high mountains. surving and only surviving. there's nothing to discuss about. that's a common truth. why? i'm saying about gt's. only gts have sterling high mountain stages giving an adequate food for thinking.
Where have you been all these years? Just watching races in July? Nobody wins a GT by being defensive.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
cineteq said:
Where have you been all these years? Just watching races in July? Nobody wins a GT by being defensive.

Aha, one won the GT at the expense of the race leader's misfortune and a catastrophical inability of other guys to ride TT.

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
hatcher said:

To summarise your arguments:

1. Being beaten by Wiggins up a climb doesn't count unless it's over 90 seconds. Also, it doesn't count if it was soft pedaled, even if you can't keep up with Wiggins during the soft pedaled pace.

2. Winning prep races is important, except when Wiggins does it.

3. Comparing yourself to rivals in prep races is valuable, except when Wiggins wins.

4. Overdoing it early season can ruin your Tour, and Wiggins has over done it. But Wiggins 2010 failure wasn't because he overdid it, even though he overdid it. And is overdoing it again this year.

5. When Wiggins win he's on top-form, and others aren't. When Wiggins loses he's on top-form and just sucks.

6. Wiggins hasn't improved since 2009, and hasn't even tried to. He just sits on and hopes.

This made me laugh :D

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
airstream said:
Any such comparisons are quite conditional, you know. The guys are at too different levels of motivation, preparedness etc. during the season. Yes, the numbers are for Gesink. But the TdF 40+k TT is an absolutely special category and I won't discuss.. I just wanted to say TT's won't help Nibali to get podium or top-5. They will only distance him from that.

Gesink has to finish the race first. Lots of potential but same deal as Wiggins. It's what I have been saying for years. Until they get up and go boom and beat rivals at the big event, then it's all just banter and chit chat. Menchov, Evans and Nibali have all done this. So too Contador, Scarponi, Basso and Valverde. All these guys are GT winners, ok some by default, but they all still at least made second. Thus add in Andy Schleck.

What's the difference? We need something to make predictions and have nothing but the results of this season. At that, they were equal climbers in their only mutual battle in the 2009 Tour and since then Wiggo got stronger. Wiggins will win a lot in TT's whereas Nibali is very limited in ability to gain the time on the climbs considering his overly defensive style.

At least I mentioned the guys in the title of thread. Poms came in and hijacked it and made it about Wiggins. Fanboy love, you can't beat it. Look at my above paragraph. Yes Wiggins has theoretically gotten stronger, but he hasn't proven that in a GT. Third place and losing the Vuelta for your team mate against the weakest GT field in a considerable time doesn't imbed one with conference...unless of course you are a fanboy. Nor does it negate the fact that a week long race is vastly different to a three week GT. Plenty of decent talked up riders have won these races, Paris Nice, Tour de Suisse, the Dauphine, Tirreno Adriatico...how many then backed it up by winning a GT let alone in the same year? Not many. All these guys talking Wiggins up are comparing apples and oranges. Banking on a chrono of all things isn't enough when you are so susceptible climbing. It doesn't add up...he won't podium if he hasn't improved and I've seen no proof that his climbing has improved in the final week of a GT to sustain any time gain in a ITT. He has too many unknowns. The guys I mentioned do not. They have small gaps in their armour, Wiggins in some parts has no armour. Menchov and Evans are the best all rounders riding the Tour with the records at GT's to prove it. That was my main point. They should be considered favourites if their health is good and they appear to be in shape. Racing quickly shows whether you are or are not.

The fact that for his entire GT career Nibali has demostrated the only downhill raid (when the circumstances and the natural course of the race allowed him to do that and we all know what it was worth the day after) and some folks operate with it as a bit of a help in the fight for the podium truly makes me laugh. You rate Nibali higher than Andy and get surprised that people rate Wiggins way higher than Nibali?? LOL. :)

Don't get ahead of yourself. I said in a downhill section that may or may not play a part in a race. It's a theoretical chance for something to happen. Honestly, go ask any pro, who would you ride behind going downhill? Andy Schleck would be one of the last names. Franck is worse. Cancellara ain't there, Andy is hugely suspect. Other than Hushovd or Cancellara, you'd want to be following Nibali. He is that good. So keep it in context. In the chance event those stages with downhill descents to the finish are raced hard and a small group is at the front, the possibilty exists for someone to make some time. Evans did it to AC and Samu last year. Didn't get a lot of time, but got enough on Andy and Franck for it to hurt. It's the cumulative effect dude. Adding all the little gains and losses...those make the race. Thus bringing it back to Wiggins, his uphill ascents are as big of potential time losses as Andy Schleck's chrono. Yet who is being talked up as no chance and who is being spoken about as a winner? That's the lol part...Andy Schleck, whom I don't really like, is being vastly underestimated. Amazing rider if he gets his s%#& together who could win. Again, he has the record...just needs that killer mentality.

I think, the Tour contenders never ride Dauphine full blast and have a certain reserve of form in stock as they go there to prepare for the Tour rather than to win at any cost. If a rider is not Moreau or Valverde, he always prefers to sacrifice Dauphine feeling that it may prevent him from showing the best possible result in July. I don't understand why one thinks that Wiggo reached his peak too early last year. Does Wiggins need an absolute peak to win Dauphine? NO.

I agree but not with your final question. Wiggins did go full blast...the fanboys just don't see it. Where Andy Schleck makes the mistake of going **** weak at every build up race last season, I think Wiggins had the reverse. He went to hard. Threads about his super low body weight at season start. The man is super skinny. One fall and boom, broken bones. Race over. Contador and other riders however are slightly above race weight, but get down to it. It's about preparation. 2010 is evidence enought that Sky and Wiggins had no idea. Thus the lack of results. Hence the Wigans pun. They deserved it...still do to be honest.;) I'll phrase it this way, if there were no Tour de France in July and the Dauphine was raced harder by everyone, Wiggins would have been smacked senseless last June. The other racers held back. He didn't. Evans was coasting dude. Seriously coasting. Winning the Dauphine or Tour de Suisse before the Tour is giant indicator these days you were taking it too seriously. Notice what happened to Valverde when he stopped trying to win stages in a GT and get the glory. Won the Vuelta. You can' have your cake and it eat especially as a pro rider...unless you are a fanboy. You ahve to pick your targets. Wiggins wins this years Dauphine I will have proof he's going to have issues at the Tour. Heck, even Contador can't do it and weirdly enough he doesn't try to. Yet the Wiggins supporters think HE CAN. GTFO please and get your heads checked. Nobody claims this for ANY other rider. But no...lets buy into the myth of the exalted one. I've heard this line before. We all have. Lance fanboys ran it. Come back down to planet earth for a second and converse with real people. Wiggins won the Dauphine because he went much, much harder than any big name rival. They all correctly, used the race as training and as a trial for their form. Wiggins and Sky, like many Poms, are not that intelligent.

Who else went full blast early last year? Horner and Leipheimer. They really went for it and oddly enough were talked about quite heavily as RadioShack leaders. I knew team leader was Kloden, simply because of the manner in which they all raced and how they've done in the past with the same or differing build ups. Guess who confirmed at Tour's end who was team leader? Bruyneel. You can't go that hard that close to the biggest GT and expect to back it up. bad luck ruined the chance for us to see how they'd all have gone together. But Bruyneel did say their aim was Kloden...again, it was obvious. Just like Wiggins faults. Granted the man did well winning the Dauphine, but to extend that praise to lauding him as a favourite let alone winner for the Tour...jokes on the fanboys. It's why I said, Evans last year was almost a guaranteed winner. His build up wasn't wasting energy. He peaked right and his record for the year was sublime. This showed coming into the final week of the Tour. Zero incidents and strongest looking rider in the race. That's timing. The one thing he'd always missed. His timing other years was always off on something...like trying to beat Valverde at the Dauphine. Focus was off target. Get it right with the talent that has been proven and you are not only a rational and logical favourite, you deliver the damn goods. Wiggins has not done this. Menchov has.

That's the most important thing in your control. Timing. If your point were valid, Wiggins could win without going full blast, why hadn't he ever won anything as big as he did until last year? You casually ignore this and by doing so ignore that something had to change for him to improve. Worse it implies he wasn't trying before...or perhaps he was. Now we have a clinic issue if you explore all the implications these ideas create. Until you back up the talk and do the deed, there is no reason with his average form in comparison to his rivals, to suspect he can or will beat them at a GT where the best are gunning for the maillot jaune. He'll beat one or two of the vast numbers of guys who can top 10, but it's really stretching reality to think he'll win because there are so many unknowns. Those guys who I mentioned, as I said, if they are IN FORM, are naturally favourites ahead of him. Everyone talking him up, and I mean seriously talking him up, you are a fanboy. You've bought into the new myth. The new marketing fad. I'd understand it if his form had been there from the start but it simply hasn't. He's proof you can turn a donkey into a thoroughbred.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
eljimberino said:

True. But Bruyneel has won over what was it, 12 or 13 GT's with riders now? Sky directors have how many? Zero? A big fat naught and are banking on Wiggins of all people. Hop in a Delorean, travel back to 2006 and drop this pearler on cycling fans; "Bradley Wiggins is a GC rider and is a favourite to win the Tour de France." The laughter would echo to all corners of the globe.

I thought he might have made 5th last year, if lucky. But consider who came fifth. Contador. Really? I mean really, do we think he'd have matched the best GT rider of this generation who had won the hardest Giro in a long time a month earlier? I don't think so. Now consider the parcours changes. Yes, Wiggins specialty is more predominant this year. But will it make that much of a difference? I've made my stance clear.

Talking about bad luck, it is only bettered by rampant idiocy. Sky have that in spades. They should have won the Vuelta with Froome. It's that kind of utter failure to note a rider is superior to your team captain and focus on them that blows you a GT. Geox didn't have this problem now did they? Say what you want about the Russians, but their arrogance is no match for Brits. Katusha are not idiots. They have IMO equally good riders on their squad. Switch the focus from stage wins, slap it to supporting Dennis, they are a threat to be taken seriously because Menchov has the goods to be winning at the end of long climbs. Sky were very good at last years Tour, especially EBH, but their climing domestiques are suspect. Aussie speaking about Porte...good solid chrono, meh in the mountains. Nothing amazing. Sky's best riders are stage hunters, track guys and sprinters. Wiggins would ironically be better off with the climbing help Garmin offer. Oh I forgot, he now plays for Man Utd...who are about to lose their big goal to City. Parallels in soccer mirroring cycling...who'd a thought it?

Now I am not saying Sky don't have strengths. They do, but their total climbing pedigree minus Wiggins doesn't mean Wiggins can climb with the best in the final week of a GT. Sky can set all the pace they want leading up to a climb, but when the big boys go, the domestiques will all crack. If Andy Schleck goes ballistic, we'll see some poor domestique inevitably pulling Wiggins up hill because he foolishly thought he could match him. Heck, he can't match his own team mates at times in a GT and he is the captain! Worse, his bosses blindly focus all attention on him when he isn't the best. This predicament with team psychology and focus better correct itself for all the fanboys sake. If Wiggins doesn't have the form to be the best placed rider on Sky will the DS have the nads to switch focus? Yeah...I don't think so. BMC and Katusha don't have this dilemma.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
hatcher said:

To a fanboy, all that is clear when challenged, is that everything refuting the person/object of fanboy devotion is a contradiction.

Give yourself a pat on the back. ACF94 is no longer the biggest fanboy on this forum. You've usurped him. That is quite an effort. Bravo.:p

Enjoy rooting for Wiggins. I'll enjoy watching the riders I like do well. I'll also have a nice chuckle when Wiggins doesn't deliver. Oh and if Valverde races, let alone wins...I will be back to gloat. To everyone.:D

Galic Ho said:
Aussie speaking about Porte...good solid chrono, meh in the mountains. Nothing amazing. Sky's best riders are stage hunters, track guys and sprinters. Wiggins would ironically be better off with the climbing help Garmin offer. Oh I forgot, he now plays for Man Utd...who are about to lose their big goal to City. Parallels in soccer mirroring cycling...who'd a thought it?
If Andy Schleck goes ballistic, we'll see some poor domestique inevitably pulling Wiggins up hill because he foolishly thought he could match him.
Wiggins is quite smart in not blowing up usually ( like Nibali in 2010 Vuelta )- the exception being Angrilu last year. Besides you were mainly talking about Andy's team as well not just Andy.

Porte may not be one of the best mountain climbers but he is still developing and has been quite solid this year ( in support of Wiggins )/ for himself in Volta Algarve.

Garmin are like Sky they will have a GC dude ( CVV ) and a sprinter in Farrar. As you have pointed out Froome also came 2nd in the Vuelta last year so he should provide good help.
The parallel of the soccer is confusing ( even though i know the story ) as Garmin i don't think have as big a goal as Sky at the TDF. BMC if anything fill in the idea of being the Man City of cycling.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Galic Ho said:
Gesink has to finish the race first. Lots of potential but same deal as Wiggins. It's what I have been saying for years. Until they get up and go boom and beat rivals at the big event, then it's all just banter and chit chat. Menchov, Evans and Nibali have all done this. So too Contador, Scarponi, Basso and Valverde. All these guys are GT winners, ok some by default, but they all still at least made second. Thus add in Andy Schleck.
I don't understand you. The fact that Nibali won the Vuelta by means of incredible luck and the Giro podiums give him global mental priority or what? Wiggins was the 4th in the Tour riding this as a debutant in GC fight and 3rd in the Vuelta. That's more than enough. In addition, we don't even have evidence to consider Nibali a better climber. Because he showed himself very inconsistently in that line last year. Remembering his idiotic attack on the descent from Giau, oh.. To what extent one's good is measured by how one's good NOW. It is a base of any estimation. Previous merits (Menchov and Valverde) can be only a bit of help.

Andy wouldn't have been dropped on that descent whatsoever in case he had held on with them uphill. And I'm 100% certain Nibali will gain nothing on downhills in the Tour. In order to do it, he needs a climbing reserve, he obviously doesnt have it and will suffer.

I agree but not with your final question. Wiggins did go full blast...the fanboys just don't see it.

OK

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
Galic Ho said:
True. But Bruyneel has won over what was it, 12 or 13 GT's with riders now? Sky directors have how many? Zero? A big fat naught and are banking on Wiggins of all people. Hop in a Delorean, travel back to 2006 and drop this pearler on cycling fans; "Bradley Wiggins is a GC rider and is a favourite to win the Tour de France." The laughter would echo to all corners of the globe.

Yes, but so would Stijn Devolder 2-time Paris-Roubaix winner. One-day racing is different, but things change. Doubt many people would have thought of Cobo as a GT winner before last year, but he did it too.

I thought he might have made 5th last year, if lucky. But consider who came fifth. Contador. Really? I mean really, do we think he'd have matched the best GT rider of this generation who had won the hardest Giro in a long time a month earlier? I don't think so. Now consider the parcours changes. Yes, Wiggins specialty is more predominant this year. But will it make that much of a difference? I've made my stance clear.

Bravo! A fine argument! For someone who has been accusing others of being selective with their points, this is a bit hypocritical. Yes, Contador came 5th. It's notable that you fail to mention who came 4th - Thomas Voeckler. A great rider on classics and short tours, but a GT rider he ain't. There is little doubt to most that Wiggins is a better GT rider than Voeckler.

Talking about bad luck, it is only bettered by rampant idiocy. Sky have that in spades. They should have won the Vuelta with Froome. It's that kind of utter failure to note a rider is superior to your team captain and focus on them that blows you a GT.

Fantastic, you can use hindsight like the rest of us! At the time, not such a bad call. Wiggins had placed 4th at the Tour before, and they were just going to place all their eggs in a basket that had barely even placed at a major race before?

Geox didn't have this problem now did they? Say what you want about the Russians, but their arrogance is no match for Brits. Katusha are not idiots. They have IMO equally good riders on their squad. Switch the focus from stage wins, slap it to supporting Dennis, they are a threat to be taken seriously because Menchov has the goods to be winning at the end of long climbs. Sky were very good at last years Tour, especially EBH, but their climing domestiques are suspect. Aussie speaking about Porte...good solid chrono, meh in the mountains. Nothing amazing. Sky's best riders are stage hunters, track guys and sprinters. Wiggins would ironically be better off with the climbing help Garmin offer. Oh I forgot, he now plays for Man Utd...who are about to lose their big goal to City. Parallels in soccer mirroring cycling...who'd a thought it?

Rigoberto Uran is a better climbing domestique than Garmin offer. Otherwise this is just a load of waffle. Brits being more arrogant than Russians. Lovely generalisation, but I'm not sure what basis or relevance it has. Little bit of a jibe about an acrimonious transfer, again, just waffle padding out your posts.

Now I am not saying Sky don't have strengths. They do, but their total climbing pedigree minus Wiggins doesn't mean Wiggins can climb with the best in the final week of a GT. Sky can set all the pace they want leading up to a climb, but when the big boys go, the domestiques will all crack. If Andy Schleck goes ballistic, we'll see some poor domestique inevitably pulling Wiggins up hill because he foolishly thought he could match him. Heck, he can't match his own team mates at times in a GT and he is the captain! Worse, his bosses blindly focus all attention on him when he isn't the best. This predicament with team psychology and focus better correct itself for all the fanboys sake. If Wiggins doesn't have the form to be the best placed rider on Sky will the DS have the nads to switch focus? Yeah...I don't think so. BMC and Katusha don't have this dilemma.

So now you can see into the future. You're criticising Sky for tactical failures they haven't even made yet. Maybe it's time to take a few breaths and stop thinking about Wiggins for a few days.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
Caruut said:
Doubt many people would have thought of Cobo as a GT winner before last year, but he did it too.

Clinic issue. Take it there. There is a reason Saunier Duval hot tailed it out of the 2008 Tour before anyone demanded they leave. The reason wasn't Piepoli's yet to be uncovered doping positive...it was Cobo. Plenty of saucy rumours about him out there on the cycling grapevine. Doing what he was...yeah it's absurd, but winning a GT as weak as last years Vuelta was theoretically feasible. Hence why I said Wiggins needs an improvement on par with Cobo's over 3 weeks to podium at the Tour.

Bravo! A fine argument! For someone who has been accusing others of being selective with their points, this is a bit hypocritical. Yes, Contador came 5th. It's notable that you fail to mention who came 4th - Thomas Voeckler. A great rider on classics and short tours, but a GT rider he ain't. There is little doubt to most that Wiggins is a better GT rider than Voeckler.

Context once again. I don't have to spell all the givens out for every reader. Cycling forum, you should know this yourself. Heck look at all the favourites for the Vuelta. All raced the Giro, they all bombed out. Contador backed up the hardest Giro in 20 odd years with a 5th at the Tour. Context...use your brain. Oh and fine job insulting the French. Voeckler thoroughly deserved his 4th...heck he'd have come 3rd if he didn't goof up on the Alpe d'Huez stage. ACtually his effort is equal with Wiggins best. You've got nothing else superior (Vuelta third doesn't count against that opposition). Oh and he went out held yellow for how long? Equal on paper. Wiggins hasn't shown he's superior, yet I don't hear French fans screaming Rolland or Voeckler will win the Tour...oh but of course, the Poms will scream Wiggins is a dead cert. :rolleyes:

Fantastic, you can use hindsight like the rest of us! At the time, not such a bad call. Wiggins had placed 4th at the Tour before, and they were just going to place all their eggs in a basket that had barely even placed at a major race before?

Deflection. Typical of a pom or someone supporting a Brit. Not hindsight, common sense. People said it here on the forum as the Vuelta unfolded. If the Wiggins band camp pulled their heads out of their arses this would have been glaringly obvious as it unfolded. He wasn't proven. Worse, they were so convinced Wiggins was the numero uno, they didn't know one of their own was superior. All that training, all the numbers and yet they didn't know. If their focus was on all riders, not just Wiggins, they'd have known. That's my point. Linear thinking. No alternative. Sure at last years Tour they had alternatives who could stage hunt. Is that good enough this year though whilst sprouting such grand aspirations of winning the biggest GT in the world? Yeah of course it is.:rolleyes:

Has anything changed that would convince me they've learnt from their mistakes? Nope. So it is a possibility of happening again. Add that up today and what do you get? A team who are that inept! Great confidence booster dude. That's Pommie patriotism running rampant and unchecked.

Rigoberto Uran is a better climbing domestique than Garmin offer. Otherwise this is just a load of waffle. Brits being more arrogant than Russians. Lovely generalisation, but I'm not sure what basis or relevance it has. Little bit of a jibe about an acrimonious transfer, again, just waffle padding out your posts.

Wow, I have to explain it all again for you. One rider. One rider does not equate to a climbing juggernaut team of domestiques. Maybe if his name were Franck Schleck you'd have a point. Sure you mention Uran, he is good, but it's about quantity here. Overall climbing abilities of all Garmin riders is superior. Vande Velde, Hesjedal, Millar and whoever else they decide to pack on the team, is greater than Uran, Porte and Rogers. Porte and Rogers will be dropped quite early. They keep up, the GC riders are going easy. Oh and this is from an Aussie...they're meh. Garmins overall climbing pedigree is higher. That's the pommie arrogance I was talking about. What's that, you don't agree? From the horses mouth champ. Wiggins himself. Surely you remember his Wigan vs Man Utd parting jibe directed at a team that flogged themselves so he could upgrade his pay packet?

Nah probably not. That's essentially all Wigans is about. Dah money!!! Doesn't matter if he doesn't deliver, he's got a contract that was worth triple what Cavendish's HTC contract was worth! That's the real joke. One rider who ******ed up all of 2010 was being paid triple what the rider with the most seasonal wins was earning...there is perspective for you.

So now you can see into the future. You're criticising Sky for tactical failures they haven't even made yet. Maybe it's time to take a few breaths and stop thinking about Wiggins for a few days.

Now you're telling me what I can do! How prophetic of you. Sky are criticised for tactical failures they have made and failed to either acknowledge or rectify. What does that tell you about their thinking and psyche? Like you they are in for a nasty surprise. Failures that can easily manifest again. When Cadel Evans had 'team issues' did he keep committing them? Yes, then he learnt his mistake, acknowledged it, fixed them and won the Tour de France. If Sky don't address the issues they have, Wigans won't even make the podium. The same line of thinking that resulted in last years Vuelta flop cannot be used to solve the underlying problem. As far as one can tell, Sky don't even think there was an issue...yet Wigans is a favourite to win a harder GT against vastly superior opponents!!! :eek:

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Gesink is mentioned much too often... He has so much still to prove.

Regarding Wiggins, he absolutely can win the Tour 2012, no doubt about that. I´d be surprised if Evans did it two years in a row, but he knows how to win it now.

My hopes are on Menchov. Menchov in 2010´s shape against Wiggins in top shape would be really tight.

Don´t see A. Schleck as contender for the overall win in 2012´s Tour. Maybe if he shows his legs of 2010, then maybe... My main hope is that it´s decided on the road, not like last year, when Wiggo crashed out early.

One time has to be the first time. Contador´s first was 2007, Basso´s 2006, Sastre´s 2008, Valverde´s 2009, Schleck´s 2010, Nibali´s 2010, Evans´s 2011, Cobo´s 2011, Scarponi´s 2011. Don´t see any reason why Wiggins should miss out on that list and fail, just because he´s had a track background for a long time.

Winning Paris-Nice and Romandie in addition to Top4 in the Tour and podium in the Vuelta already makes him one of the greats in road cycling, so the Tour win is absolutely in reach.

Sky aren´t tactically better or worse than others, and Wiggins has lots of experience and a huge load of professionalism. It looks good for him. Hope Menchov is doing well in the Sierra these weeks, and can train like he has to, then there´ll be nice battles in July... Like it much more than the usual LA-Ullrich-Basso-Beloki stuff we used to see few years ago.
And though I like him, I prefer watching races without Contador, because he´s the only real "next Lance" in terms of domination. Menchov for Tour and Contador for Vuelta, I hope.