• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

TdF 2017 stage 8: Dole > Station des Rousses 187,5 km

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

What scenario/which scenarios is/are most likely?

• Breakaway contest victory between themselves in a sprint

Votes: 40 31.0%
  • Solo victory by a breakaway rider

Votes: 47 36.4%
  • A 10-15 rider group (with the strongest GC riders) contest victory between themselves in a sprint

Votes: 20 15.5%
  • A solo victory by a top 10-15 rider in the GC

Votes: 9 7.0%
  • A 20-30 rider group contest victory between themselves in a sprint

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • Marcel Kittel wins somehow

Votes: 9 7.0%
  • Ambush a la Fuente De/Formigal succeeds

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Ambush a la Fuente De/Formigal fails

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • None of the above

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Vino-option

Votes: 10 7.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: Re:

Samamba said:
Geraint Too Fast said:
A Belgian will be in yellow at the end of this stage.

So Pauwels then?

The weather report predicts a thunder storm. If only there were a Belgian rider who can climb a bit, likes the rain and is within shooting distance of the yellow jersey :eek:

When I first saw the profile of this stage and it's position in the race, my first thoughts were Lotto Soudal and Cummings.

Sky will be happy to pass on the jersey for a day and here are the main candidates:

Lotto S: Wellens, Benoot
Lotto Jumbo: Bennett
DD: Pauwels
Wanty: the Lesser Spotted Martin (one of my favourite birds :) )

There will be plenty of guys lining up for the break this time. Major Suspects
UAE: Atapuma, Ulissi (Durasek?)
Katusha: the Greater Spotted Martin, Kiserlovski,
Direct Energie: Tommy V, Calmejane, Chav
Fortuneo: Feillu, Sepulveda
Orica: Albasini, Kreuziger
QS: Stybar, Phil G.
Bahrain: Brajkovic
There has to be someone from Cannondale: Clarke ?

A couple of French climbers will be focusing on Polka dots will keep their powder dry whatever (at least metaphorically).

Unless the rain comes big time, nothing to happen on GC.

Ok, Cummings for the stage and Wellens for the jersey (I voted for a small group sprint from a breakaway, but that was before seeing the weather report).

Re:

DFA123 said:
Looks like one of the only potential 'ambush' stages on the route to me. If one of the more ambitious long-shot GC contenders like Quintana or Contador wants to win the race, this wouldn't be a bad stage to try something imo. Especially if a lot of riders have eyes on sunday.

A Kittel stage win is more likely than a Quintana ambush.

rick james said:
last 23k are perfect for Thomas to light the after burners with the Dawg on his wheel

If by Thomas you mean Thomas de Gendt and by Dawg you mean the Cummings-Dawg.

Escarabajo said:
DFA123 said:
Escarabajo said:
None of the GT contenders will spend any extra energy here. No need to. Not yet.
So save your anger tomorrow about why they are not attacking.
Come on! The only entertaining thing about this Tour so far is being able to get really angry at how disappointing it is. Don't take that away from us as well! :)
I'll give you that. Tomorrow's stage design sucks.
Now that's whining for the sake of whining.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re:

Hugo Koblet said:
Obvious Ulissi victory is obvious.
Outside of Italy?
If his climbing is decent this should be a good stage for him, but from what I've seen in the Dauphine Swift should try his luck, the guy's also really strong in the rain.

The only question to me is if GC contenders push Sky/Froome. If they do, we'll see a GC group at the end of 10+ riders, maybe more. The stage simply isn't challenging enough to split them up or create meaningful time gaps.

Having said that, I'm sure Sky would love to let someone else, someone who isn't a true GC contender, take the jersey in a breakaway, so Froome doesn't have to defend it.

Re:

silvergrenade said:
I think Quickstep would control the break and try to whittle the group down as much as possible to get a reduced bunch sprint where Dan Martin has a chance..
The question is: Do they have enough man power?
It would be asking an awful lot of Brambilla. Stybar can get up some small climbs a bit, but I can't see them holding a break of decent climbers within range unless BMC or Movistar also pitch in (unlikely given the following day's terrain), in which case Sky would be laughing all the way to the summit.

I'd expect Lotto, Cannondale, UAE, DE and DD to all be in the break. Whichever of them misses out might help with the chasing if it's reasonable and they think they can get it to a situation where their guy can jump across.

Leinster said:
silvergrenade said:
I think Quickstep would control the break and try to whittle the group down as much as possible to get a reduced bunch sprint where Dan Martin has a chance..
The question is: Do they have enough man power?
It would be asking an awful lot of Brambilla. Stybar can get up some small climbs a bit, but I can't see them holding a break of decent climbers within range unless BMC or Movistar also pitch in (unlikely given the following day's terrain), in which case Sky would be laughing all the way to the summit.

I'd expect Lotto, Cannondale, UAE, DE and DD to all be in the break. Whichever of them misses out might help with the chasing if it's reasonable and they think they can get it to a situation where their guy can jump across.
Better off letting Brambilla (or maybe Gilbert) get in the break and go for the stage win I think.

Another vote for Cummings. Flat or flattish for the first part, some serious stuff later on and then flat for the final. So, you'll probably need to be a good rouleur to get in the break, a good climber to stay in it, and then smart and strong enough to get away at the end - Cummings to a tee.

I think this is going to be a very good stage.
Strong breakaway and classic kind of action, behind Sky willing to let the jersey but only for the right price, and teams maybe wanting to keep the jersey on Froome's shoulders and cut him off an hour of rest by a day in the jersey.
Sizing up on the climbs and that interesting section between the penultimate categorized climb and the bottom of the final climb.
I'm looking forward to.