• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

TdF Abandons

Given the horrible crash today, thought it would be convenient to just make a list of those who are announced overnight to have abandonned before the cobbles.
Edit: Decided to just make this stretch across the whole race.

Abandons after stage 1:
None.

Abandons after stage 2:
None

Abandons after stage 3:
[*]Fabian Cancellara (Trek)
[*]Tom Dumoulin (Giant-Alpecin)
[*]Simon Gerrans (Orica)
[*]William Bonnet (FDJ)
[*]Dmitriy Kozonchuk (Katusha)
[*]Daryl Impey (Orica)
[*]Andreas Schillinger (Bora)

Abandons after stage 4:
None

Abandons after stage 5:
[*]Nacer Bouhanni (Cofidis)
[*]Jack Bauer (Cannondale-Garmin)
[*]Michael Albasini (Orica)

Abandons after stage 6:
[*]Tony Martin (Etixx)
[*]Greg Henderson (Lotto-Soudal)

Abandons after stage 7:
[*]Luca Paolini (Katusha)

Re:

Dazed and Confused said:
Horrible high speed crash today, but the DNS/DNF situation in 2015 is historically nothing "special".

Hell, all the main GC guys are still in the race.

I think this thread will provide a good library for people wanting to know who's still in an who's not, as well as to see what stages resulted in most abandons, as far as curiosity and trivia go.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
On average 161 riders finished a GT since 2011... so you could expect around 38 DNFs/DNS... good luck, gonna be a long list, or just use the offical TdF site. ;)

Re:

Moviestar said:
Really a big blunder to have the TTT after such hectic stages. Tomorrow will be another battlefield with crashes. Orica already has 6 riders left, so it means they could only lose one rider in the difficult TTT, impossible!

I agree although the only way to absolutely guarantee a TTT is not effected by teams starting with less riders is to hold it as a prologue or stage 1. Even then a team might lose a rider just before the start of the race and not be able to replace him.
Putting it after a cobbled staged is beyond normal levels of stupidity.

rm7

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
So i guess Orica aren't looking good for the TTT now. JRod, Mollema and Pinot will also loose big time now.

It's almost evil that they've placed the TTT at stage 9 after such a hectic 1st week, but that'll compensate for the lost ITT I guess. Trying something new.

This year it's not only about being the strongest rider, but also having the strongest team. I actually like that.

Re:

rm7 said:
So i guess Orica aren't looking good for the TTT now. JRod, Mollema and Pinot will also loose big time now.

It's almost evil that they've placed the TTT at stage 9 after such a hectic 1st week, but that'll compensate for the lost ITT I guess. Trying something new.

This year it's not only about being the strongest rider, but also having the strongest team. I actually like that.

And being lucky? I like that less. Yes, there is positioning towards the front, but what can you do if you are riding together and some guy goes down in front of you - lose 1-2 guys very easily.

rm7

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
Re: Re:

Electress said:
rm7 said:

And being lucky? I like that less. Yes, there is positioning towards the front, but what can you do if you are riding together and some guy goes down in front of you - lose 1-2 guys very easily.

I didn't mean to make it sound like it's a good thing that riders crash out, and luck play a big part in that of course. I simply just meant that I like the idea to incoorporate the element of having the best all around team to be a big factor. It's refreshing that it's not only the best climbing team that can dominate the whole Tour.

There have been editions where you could almost bring 7 climbers and dominate, but you can't do that anymore, that's what I like.

Electress said:
rm7 said:

You can be right near the front and get caught in a crash anyway. The Liquigas team crashed while leading the peloton during the 2011 Giro holding up riders. Fortunately they did not bring down the whole peloton but it would not be impossible if something like what happened with this crash had happened closer to the middle of the road to see 100+ riders go down and many more injuries.

TheGreenMonkey said:
You can be right near the front and get caught in a crash anyway. The Liquigas team crashed while leading the peloton during the 2011 Giro holding up riders. Fortunately they did not bring down the whole peloton but it would not be impossible if something like what happened with this crash had happened closer to the middle of the road to see 100+ riders go down and many more injuries.
I remember the same thing happening with the Sky team in Utrecht in the 2010 Giro.

TRENDING THREADS