• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

TDF Stage 13 - Saturday, July 17 2010, Rodez - Revel, 195 km

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Francois the Postman said:
I know. Almost don't care what he doe on his ITT, I like the way he is carrying his young **** over the French roads. I would have applauded it if he had just hung in there, to get to the spot where he is in GC just now, but he's not shying away from attacking the favourites either. Lovely to see.

I have resigned myself that even Vino will have to retire at some point, so I'm desperately trying to find potential replacements to get equally fired up about. He is an unexpected entry on the list of candidates.

Like you, I had noticed him, but did not picture this as an option (yet).

He is 27 years old. You don't care about his tt result because I just posted about it.:rolleyes:

A

Anonymous

anyone know what time its on versus, schedule i had said 1.30 cet which is now, but its showing some weird sports program.

sodit, put sky player on and watching it on eurosport npw

Dekker_Tifosi said:
He is actually improving during this Tour. You could already see in the Dauphine he was good, but definately not in top shape yet.

Though I never thought he would be THIS good. I thought he would be in the group around place 10, battling it out with Kreuziger/Basso etc around 10th place.
But he is way better. More suprisingly, he even took time out of Gesink yesterday. Didn't see that coming at all.
Not really, he started out really good and then didn't quite have it on the Madeleine. But yesterday he was amazing, that's true. Still, when the race really explodes I don't expect him to be among the 5 strongest. But who knows.

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
He is 27 years old. You don't care about his tt result because I just posted about it.:rolleyes:

Anyone under 27/28 is young for me in Tour terms, as I expect them to get better still, and expect the Tour to be a bit too demanding on what their body can cope with (yet). For most riders.

And yes, I did mention the ITT as a response to your reply. I am not so much impressed with his GC position, but more with the way he rides and shows himself. His weaker spot is no mystery. I really don't care too much about his ITT, or where he actually ends up in GC once we reach Paris. I don't even care if he has one big bad day in the Pyrenees and he drops like a stone. I have seen enough already to know I like what I am seeing. And it is a nice surprise too.

He will get better still, so that;s something to look forward too.

As an aside, maybe a nice guy to have on a team with Evans, up front, in the heat of battle, support from a team mate where it matters? Oh wait.... :D

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
TeamSkyFans said:
anyone know what time its on versus, schedule i had said 1.30 cet which is now, but its showing some weird sports program.

sodit, put sky player on and watching it on eurosport npw

Live pictures about to come though, all stations are waiting. But any second now.

Anyone under 27/28 is young for me in Tour terms, as I expect them to get better still, and expect the Tour to be a bit too demanding on what their body can cope with (yet). For most riders.

And yes, I did mention the ITT as a response to your reply. I am not so much impressed with his GC position, but more with the way he rides and shows himself. His weaker spot is no mystery. I really don't care too much about his ITT, or where he actually ends up in GC once we reach Paris. I don't even care if he has one big bad day in the Pyrenees and he drops like a stone. I have seen enough already to know I like what I am seeing. And it is a nice surprise too.

He will get better still, so that;s something to look forward too.

As an aside, maybe a nice guy to have on a team with Evans, up front, in the heat of battle, support from a team mate where it matters? Oh wait.... :D
I get a feeling most of ACF's hatin' of the guy is down to the fact that he used to be on a team with his Lord and Saviour, but failing to guide him to any Tour wins, even if they only did one Tour together where not VDB2 but Evans himself failed.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
oncehadhair said:
There goes my hope, the jersey contenders might be happy because these 3 will soak up most of the sprint and mountain points.
Boring.

I'm going back to bed for sure. Chalk another one up for Cavendish.

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
theyoungest said:
I get a feeling most of ACF's hatin' of the guy is down to the fact that he used to be on a team with his Lord and Saviour, but failing to guide him to any Tour wins, even if they only did one Tour together where not VDB2 but Evans himself failed.
I was just teasing him a bit. In general I wish all of us were a bit slower to use the word "he is a hater" on the internet to pin other people's responses down with. Leaves very little space for people to express similar, but more nuanced feelings.

I was just teasing him a bit. In general I wish all of us were a bit slower to use the word "he is a hater" on the internet to pin other people's responses down with. Leaves very little space for people to express similar, but more nuanced feelings.
That's why I used "hatin" in a slangish way, to make clear it was in jest. Not clear enough, apparently. Oh well.

Mellow Velo said:
Rein Taaramäe has abandoned.
Lance has been on yet another, close up inspection of french tarmac.;)

Are you talking about the crash he had before the Depart Reel, or did he crash again?

Gotta say, I laughed so much when I heard about Armstrongs early fall... and not because I don't like him, I do!
They don't really go fast before depart reel, do they?

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
Publicus said:
I honestly think it's the investigation.

I think it is mostly age, and, indeed, not being with it completely. When you are sharp and have en edge reflexes, you naturally spot and avoid danger before it happens. He probably remembers in the head that he could safely sit in certain positions without worrying, but now the body ain't playing ball. Looks to me he thinks he can ride in a certain way only to be caught short continuously.

Not having the wall of team shirts around him won't help, but it's more than that I think.

Bit like me going back to the Netherlands and assuming I am back on home turf, rather than in a foreign country that I don't really know any more. I have a confidence that isn't backed up by actual awareness of the ins and outs, and get caught short all the time.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Question: has Rabobank been in ANY breakaway at all this Tour?
I can vaguele remember Moerenhout once...and Boom in the first stage.
And that's pretty much it right?

Garate was third once because of a late attack.